TV's The Key... (1 Viewer)

I find this quote interesting "Ratings and viewership can be affected by a variety of factors, such as date, air time, weather delays and competition from other entertainment or news programs."
So I'm thinking having qualifying on at 2:30am isn't helping with the ratings much....just sayin :rolleyes:

I wonder how many people are watching the race live on Watch ESPN? I know that's what I try to do and I don't watch the ESPN2 broadcast.

A .4 to .3 drop is pretty big, that's a 25% loss in viewership.

It clearly shows that things are seriously wrong with this organization, in virtually any other company it a serious management shakeup would occur.

Its a shame the NHRA members don't feel strongly enough about these problems to band together and force that management change but I realized this situation will eventually fix itself.

The NHRA is slowing drifting down like a sinking ship. When its gets to the point when there is no money left to suck out of it then the current board members will finally leave and either another more effective organization will step in to fill the void or the NHRA could be revived under new leadership with more performance driven controls and measures.

It clearly shows that things are seriously wrong with this organization, in virtually any other company it a serious management shakeup would occur.

Its a shame the NHRA members don't feel strongly enough about these problems to band together and force that management change but I realized this situation will eventually fix itself.

The NHRA is slowing drifting down like a sinking ship. When its gets to the point when there is no money left to suck out of it then the current board members will finally leave and either another more effective organization will step in to fill the void or the NHRA could be revived under new leadership with more performance driven controls and measures.

It doesn't kill the sport- just look at all the changes IHRA has had in the past year on their masthead....

this is why you can't keep blaming poor attendance on a sluggish economy; it's not the economy, if folks still enjoyed the
nhra but couldn't fork out the dough to attend a race, they'd still tune in and the ratings would not be down as much.
The obvious reality is interest has declined and it shows in attendance and nielsen ratings.
BTW i think nascar is experiencing similar problems, even though their nationwide race still did 1 in ratings; my guess even
that number is down considerably from recent years. Nascar's jr. league still does 4x what NHRA pros are doing :eek:

this last friday sony introduced it's new playstation 4s; they sold more than a million in one day @ $400 each.
this is a younger demographic not thinking twice about this purchase.
i know it's not a very good comparison to auto racing, but it's a lot of young people spending good money on
a particular entertainment product.

Visual example of NHRA drag racing on tv...

images

IMHO:

#1. Start time (2 parts). Part A. Dont have it on at 2 freaking a.m. in the morning. Part B. Whenever its on, start on time. Hell, especially if its 2 a.m. How in the hell if something starts at 2 or 3 in the morning can it still be pushed back and not get recorded. Happened to me several times this year. I would record the qualifying show bc it was on at 3 am and most of us normal people are asleep at that time. I would get up, and get to watch sportscenter reruns or baseball tonight or whatever the hell it recorded. Really?

#2. Personally, I watch ESPN 3. I would rather watch live and get to see all the classes than watch the recorded show later at night. And I would tend to believe all the hardcore fans like myself would also be watching ESPN 3 aswell. Plus if I watch it, I dont have to stay off all social media and website all day too.

#3. The show is too long. 3 hrs is drug out way too long for me. 2 hrs would be better I believe.

#4. They need to do something to make it better. Im not sure what that is. But its the same now thats it been forever. Its stale. They need a character or something. And not Elmer Fudd back.

#5. How about try some marketing for crying outloud. NHRA is the worst marketed sport there is. Without JFR, DSR, and what the other teams and sponsors do there is almost no marketing whatsoever. Coke as title sponsor has been a major let down to me. Maybe if people knew and came, people would watch on tv. Hell, I wish they would televise the awards show even if it was online or something.

As much as I hate to admit it, but NHRA really is a joke compared to other sports. It amazes me how teams can get sponsors to spend the $$$ they do bc if I was a sponsor I dont think I could do it if I were solely looking at a roi standpoint.

this is why you can't keep blaming poor attendance on a sluggish economy; it's not the economy, if folks still enjoyed the
nhra but couldn't fork out the dough to attend a race, they'd still tune in and the ratings would not be down as much.
The obvious reality is interest has declined and it shows in attendance and nielsen ratings.
BTW i think nascar is experiencing similar problems, even though their nationwide race still did 1 in ratings; my guess even
that number is down considerably from recent years. Nascar's jr. league still does 4x what NHRA pros are doing :eek:

this last friday sony introduced it's new playstation 4s; they sold more than a million in one day @ $400 each.
this is a younger demographic not thinking twice about this purchase.
i know it's not a very good comparison to auto racing, but it's a lot of young people spending good money on
a particular entertainment product.

Playstations, x-box ect in house... check My sons watching sports of any kind on TV except at work ... Next to NONE Food Channel/Cooking Shows Check... They both COOK for a living... and bar-tend...

My kids aren't me... I'm not my Dad... what the heck is a golf and why do they live in packs of eighteen... baseball is boring... football would be fun with shooters on the sideline....

d'kid

my .02

whoever is making the production decisions for the TV broadcast doesn't seem to have a clue what drag racing fans do or don't want to see...maybe it is just me, but those low angle, top of the wall, in car facing sideways or some of the other odd camera angles are fine for replays and promos and stuff, but I have NO interest in watching the actual race that way. And why in a pre-recorded broadcast do we have to have interviews taking over the racing? Including the burnout and staging it is only a couple minutes; the freaking interview can wait, I want to see the CARS RUN!!!

(and while I'm whining, how about at least pointing a camera at the win lights so we see what cars wins a round when they're showing the sportsman on ESPN3? They already have somebody changing the feeds, how hard would it be to change the feed to a view that provided some information?...again, pointing to cluelessness as to what matters and what doesn't)

Paul's Right....It's all over!

live works for nascar because we can see the pit strategy play out and their oildowns and crash clean up does not take as long to clean up

They have done live in NHRA before and there were many issues. But if it did happen the channel would have to be something other than what we have now

Dean

stay on espn for the next year or two if you have to.
put together a 1/2 hour 'nhra this week' show and air it on another network (mavtv/tnn/velocity) on a weeknight.
see what kind of ratings you get.
(3) 7 minute segments per episode + commercials (not necessarily a wrap-up show for the races either)
follow show with bill stephens 'greatest races' or other nhra related 1/2 hour.
now you have an hour of nhra drag racing on wednesday nights @ 8pm.
i would watch every week.

Granted I am at most races so I dont need to watch them BUT when I do take a race off and I'm home and don't want the race/qualifying to be spoiled for me I have to literally avoid twitter and Facebook as well as any drag racing forums to avoid accidently seeing the results, thus ruining much of the reason to devote 3 hours to watching the broadcast.

I can assure you that the younger generation of fans have a much harder time avoiding social media all day than I do.

While drag racing indeed has its own unique challenges for doing live races, at the end of the day none of those reasons/excuses matter to the new fans this sport desperately needs.

and somehow this has to be fixed. Maybe trying more live finals would help? I know that the trend of late to have qualifying on at 2:30am on a Saturday nite is just a waste of money on NHRA's part, something has to happen because it's going to be real hard to attract any anchor sponsorships with these numbers.

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...viewership-declines-for-third-straight-season
Let's talk about the taboo. Gambling. when's the last time you saw somebody with a pot for an nhra race. other than Vegas there are no odds posted. The reason NFL, NCAA FB, and Nascar are watched is because a lot of folks have a financial interest on the outcome.
If gambling was not tolerated for those other sports the ratings would tumble.

live works for nascar because we can see the pit strategy play out and their oildowns and crash clean up does not take as long to clean up

They have done live in NHRA before and there were many issues. But if it did happen the channel would have to be something other than what we have now

Dean

If done right the oil downs can be used to go check pit updates or show a history piece or something. The show should be fast paced just like the national event. Run after run, throw in an interview or 2, but save all the pit report drama for an oil down. No oil downs? Great, no need for the pits. If you can't throw in a commercial and a 5 minute pit report to cover the most common oil down time something is wrong. I don't need to see them torque the cylinder heads on Courtney Force's funny car when i'm trying to watch pro stock. Get rid of the split screen and picture in picture right away would be a great start to a better show.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back