Tracks Need to Adjust to Economics (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
In viewing the photos from a recent match race on DRO I was dismayed to see very few fans in the background. The stands looked pretty empty. Just a smattering of people here and there. The package looked good: Nitro funny cars, wheelstanders and of course the jet cars.

But where were the fans? Was it because the event was held on a Wednesday night and that doesn't work anymore? Or was it because of the high gas prices or a combination of both? Or do the old circus acts known as match racing just don't play well with the public any more? That's a tough call but my guess is that part of the reason was people won't spend their entertainment dollar during the week nights in light of a slow economy with limited funds and high gas prices.

I'm going to guess that TV still has enough drawing power to get fans to come out to the races meaning an NHRA National event or even a Pinks show. Case in point, a local track hosted a Pinks show the other day and the joint was packed. There were more people there than anytime in recent years. But it should also be pointed out that a sponsor spent mega bucks advertising it.

Regardless of the reasons, I think we're at the tipping point of economics. Recently, we were at a race in Yakima where it was only 10.00 to get in and an extra 5.00 to get in the pits. To me it seemed like a pretty good crowd for the market to see an alcohol show. But other races the stands have been sparse.

My point is that promoters outside of the big show are going to need get more creative and more sensitive to the economy if they expect to draw a crowd of any size. I don't know how much promotion or what the gate was to get into that Wednesday night race but something seemed awfully wrong to me.

Last edited:
That's a shame to hear. Were there any radio ads leading up to the event saying "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday"? Or in this case, "Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday"? Point being, they were extremely good at cramming down your throats back then. I think the biggest difference now vs. then, was back in the day each market only had 2-3 TV stations and a handful of radio stations. Now days there are way too many choices and way too many competitors for those advertising dollars, it's diluted the market.

That goes back to being creative with sponsorship proposals, and how does one get their marketing point across to the general public? But then again, you've already got a great understanding of this Rich.

Last edited:
But it should also be pointed out that a sponsor spent mega bucks advertising it.

That's the key right there. A few months ago there was one of those moto-X freestyle contests on TV and there was nobody there. Yet those events are quite popular. With all the competition for entertainment dollars, you gotta advertise like crazy.

Yes it's quite a gamble for the promoter. My friend took a chance at promoting that show in Yakima in fact, he rented the track! He hasn't told me the numbers which is not by business to know but he did say he planned to do it next year.

It was a great event. There were 8 of us in the blown alcohol pro comp show, plus he had top sportsman, the alcohol funny car contingent from Montana, a couple of front engine cars, a couple of nitro funny cars, a Jerry Ruth cackle fest, and the usual bracket bombers.

The key here was he was able to put on a pretty good show for $10.00. This was a show the locals could afford to go to and bring the family to. In fact, the kids under 10 were free. No superstars were there but the show attracted a decent crowd and the concession stand was busy all night.

Some how promoters think they have to bring in the big cars or nothing at all. So a lot of tracks aren't do anything but brackets and it doesn't have to be that way. There's a story on draglist by Dave Hapgood about the Yakima race even if he refered to my car as a "blown super comp car" which it is not at 275 inches.

Last edited:
All I can say is our team participated in the Eddyville Night of Fire a couple of weeks ago with the same old "circus acts", jet cars, wheel standers, altereds (us), nitro nostalgia and the place was packed. Yeah, they had Wilkerson and Wyatt, but match racing is match racing.

It all comes down to how it's marketed and delivered to the public.

Sean D

twenty five years ago we'd pack a full house with 8 alky floppers, the wild bunch and a jet or two... but there were only 10 or 13 Big show events a year, and surprise, we would do 3 shows at 3 tracks within 150 miles of each other.

people could go to 4 or 5 small shows a year closer to home for the cost of one national event. Now with a least one big show within a couple of hundred miles of someone's home, the question becomes one or two big shows or 5 little shows.

It's just the promoter has changed, but IMO, there are too many big shows a year. And that is what has hurt the small track 'nights of fire' shows.

d'kid

I remember 10 to 15 years ago that Englishtown and Atco would pack the stand with their Wednesday night shows. I always remembered a big hype before the events with plenty of local media advertising. There would always be a few nitro, alcohol, jet, and wheel stander cars at each event with the evening being capped off with some sort of stunt. I remember when Robbie Knievel fell off his bike during his landing at Atco and I recall some crazy guy driving (with a huge explosion) his car into a stack of cars 3 stories high (I think it was call the wall of death). I guess the costs to put on such a show have exceeded the amount of income received. I do miss those days.....

Nothing wrong with the old circus acts. I just wish there were more of them. They are funner than points races and easier on the wallet.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back