My take on NHRA and the current economy (1 Viewer)

Dubs

Nitro Member
Over the past few months, I have seen teams getting parked left and right. Obviously, this is a result of the poor economy we are currently in. I am sharing my views on a couple different things related to that. This is not a post to bash other peoples thoughts, but rather one offering a different perspective.

The NHRA's recent 'silence' has obviously made a handful of people angry. A lot of people think they should step in and and at the very least address the issue. I too wouldn't mind a mere press release stating that they are at least aware of what is going on. However, I think what the NHRA can do is somewhat limited. The NHRA is such a large and strong organization that I believe is has tendencies to self correct itself. NHRA has been around for almost 57 years and obviously has seen similar situations to these (ie not enough racers, potential dropoff in fan attendance etc.) Obviously, the sport has battled through the tough years to be what it is today. I think the NHRA's silence has been due to the fact that they are confident that the sport won't be affected greatly.

Just take a look at Pomona. Without the presence of 'corporate teams,' smaller teams are incentivized to attend and race as the prize money is much easier to get. This theory is similar to that of a macro-economic theory that the economy self corrects itself when in a recession or when there is inflation.

People say that NHRA does not roll out the red carpet for sponsors, but there really is no way of telling this. You can say what you want about it, but unless you hear of experiences from sponsors that have been there and done that, I think that it is not right to assume. I am a firm believer that sponsors and potential-sponsors are very important right now, but just making judgments about how they are treated isn't right unless you have a first hand account of it.

Now on to fan attendance...

Although NHRA has stated that they will not lower ticket prices, I think that they will have to to get fans back in the stands. Back to economics, at the current price, there is not a lot of demand in the drag racing market, so they need to lower the prices to raise that demand until the economy is straightened out. I still believe that the 'every pass is a pit pass' is one of the coolest things in the motorsports world. Being able to interact with the drivers and watch the crews wrench away is amazing. Hopefully the NHRA can market that this season to get more people in the stands.

-Chris
[email protected]

Finally a well thought out post, thanks Chris. I really don't think NHRA needs to apologize to anyone publically because of what's happening on Wall Street. And to just lower ticket prices on a whim, is just admitting that there is no value in the sport. Who know's what fan attendance will be in the upcoming season?

NHRA owes nobody an apology. And since it's there business model they can handle the current economic situation however they wish. However, with half of their teams parking due to funding problems it's in their own best interest to find away to keep their stars from having to sit on the sidelines. Years ago the cars were the stars and it was up to the competitor to have the money to compete. How they got the money was never NHRA's business. Its still that way but the financial stakes have been raised to the point it is no longer viable to even a millionaire to do it. Thats what NHRA needs to address.

How they got the money was never NHRA's business. Its still that way but the financial stakes have been raised to the point it is no longer viable to even a millionaire to do it. Thats what NHRA needs to address.

Actually, it's not still that way, Rich, and that is a problem. These dumba$$ exclusives that we hammer on day in and day out here on the 'Mater go a long way in making how the teams get money their (NHRA's) business and that is what, among many other things, needs addressed.

Sean D

Over the past few months, I have seen teams getting parked left and right. Obviously, this is a result of the poor economy we are currently in. I am sharing my views on a couple different things related to that. This is not a post to bash other peoples thoughts, but rather one offering a different perspective.

The NHRA's recent 'silence' has obviously made a handful of people angry. A lot of people think they should step in and and at the very least address the issue. I too wouldn't mind a mere press release stating that they are at least aware of what is going on. However, I think what the NHRA can do is somewhat limited. The NHRA is such a large and strong organization that I believe is has tendencies to self correct itself. NHRA has been around for almost 57 years and obviously has seen similar situations to these (ie not enough racers, potential dropoff in fan attendance etc.) Obviously, the sport has battled through the tough years to be what it is today. I think the NHRA's silence has been due to the fact that they are confident that the sport won't be affected greatly.

Just take a look at Pomona. Without the presence of 'corporate teams,' smaller teams are incentivized to attend and race as the prize money is much easier to get. This theory is similar to that of a macro-economic theory that the economy self corrects itself when in a recession or when there is inflation.

People say that NHRA does not roll out the red carpet for sponsors, but there really is no way of telling this. You can say what you want about it, but unless you hear of experiences from sponsors that have been there and done that, I think that it is not right to assume.

-Chris
[email protected]

Tell that to Monster and Rock Star! :cool:

Personally, I think the NHRA has run it's course for the time being.
It's "Jumped the Shark" if you will.
I know, hard core drag racing fans will disagree, but it's not the hard core fans that will insure the NHRA in the future, it's the "potential' fans that have nothing to pique an interest.

The things that drew me to the NHRA are long gone.
The kill shot IMHO is the 1000' track..
Big is gone, Snake, Shirley, Goose, Raymond, Connie have been replaced by boring pretty faces and silver spoon boys and girls that just don't inspire anyone or anything.
Nothing against them personally, but I would rather paint the fence or cut the grass than watch Morgan Lucas race Hillary Will on a Sunday afternoon.
John has basically carried this sport on his back for the last 5 years, and with his lack of winning comes a lack of anyone or anything to identify the NHRA with to the common person on the street.

The NHRA isn't alone here. I see the same problems affecting Nascar. Same problems and same economic woes, but Nascar has a new group of drivers who have some color to them.

Last edited:
Tell that to Monster and Rock Star! :cool:

there are alot worse storys of sponsors being corted away from teams... told by those involved..but won't go on the record due to the possibility of reprisal at the scales or tech area....

i'm still trying to figure out why the NHRA charges sponsors and teams with hospitality areas $2500 to NOT use the NHRA catering... i understand the fees for the cost of the spot.. and i understand the fees (to a certin respect) for the the hauling off of garbage.. even thought some tracks have contracts with waste removal companys for "free removal and disposal" in exchange for advertising at the strips...

Billy

Personally, I think the NHRA has run it's course for the time being.
It's "Jumped the Shark" if you will.
I know, hard core drag racing fans will disagree, but it's not the hard core fans that will insure the NHRA in the future, it's the "potential' fans that have nothing to pique an interest.

The things that drew me to the NHRA are long gone.
The kill shot IMHO is the 1000' track..
Big is gone, Snake, Shirley, Goose, Raymond, Connie have been replaced by boring pretty faces and silver spoon boys and girls that just don't inspire anyone or anything.
Nothing against them personally, but I would rather paint the fence or cut the grass than watch Morgan Lucas race Hillary Will on a Sunday afternoon.
John has basically carried this sport on his back for the last 5 years, and with his lack of winning comes a lack of anyone or anything to identify the NHRA with to the common person on the street.

The NHRA isn't alone here. I see the same problems affecting Nascar. Same problems and same economic woes, but Nascar has a new group of drivers who have some color to them.

Well put--this sport like NASCAR has become too plain vanilla with its drivers. Seems a lot of the personality is just gone. Interview a driver and all you get is a 15 second advertisement.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back