Toyota unveils new GR Supra Funny Car body for 2022 NHRA season (1 Viewer)

definitely three unique forms

Attachments

• FCfronts.jpg
    FCfronts.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 88
Given that the NHRA has specific rules in place for FC bodies, it is no wonder they all look similar. Manufactures (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota) have to play within the rules when designing a body and getting a slippery shape with down force in all of the right spots will always yield a similar design, as the design has been maxed out for years.

I think the new Toyota design is great looking and distinct to Toyota.

...........great to see toyota increasing their involvement in drag racing.

Well, to each their own. I'm glad most people here seem to like it. But I think it's ugly as hell. Even worse than what most of the teams are currently running. But I agree with Mike that it is always good when a manufacturer sees a return on their investment in drag racing. We can use more of that.

Camaro body with different stickers for lights !

Only if you're 100% blind and almost dead. I guess we can assume you're legally blind and on your deathbed? That car looks NOTHING like a Camaro.

So show me where they're the same? Because I can easily show you all the differences. Just look anywhere on the entire body lol

a11X_9678.jpg
download (4).jpeg
2022 Toyota GR Supra NHRA Funny Car-20211112_0004.jpg
a11X_9693.jpg
images (6).jpeg

Anyone with a lick of sense and sight can see they aren't anywhere close to the same. Literally everything on the body is different. The cabin shape, the hood, front end, sides...LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

It doesn't have an aero advantage over the other bodies? It surely appears as though it does.

Last edited:
It's hilarious but also sad at how social media works.

By the looks of it, Twitter approved the new body. Even Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin acknowledged it. I know they're Team Toyota but the acknowledgement from two of motorsports biggest stars was pretty cool. At least to me.

Facebook tho?

Competition Plus posted about it and to my surprise people quite a few positive responses.

Dragzine posted about it and all you see is people living on old and tired narratives. I'm all for having opinions but I really can't stand when they're outdated and misinformed. Its pretty common from the "NHRA is dying!" crowd.

I can't wait to see it on the track and I can't wait to get more silly season news.

Last edited:

By the looks of it, Twitter approved the new body. Even Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin acknowledged it. I know they're Team Toyota but the acknowledgement from two of motorsports biggest stars was pretty cool. At least to me.

Facebook tho?

Competition Plus posted about it and to my surprise people quite a few positive responses.

Dragzine posted about it and all you see is people living on old and tired narratives. I'm all for having opinions but I really can't stand when they're outdated and misinformed. Its pretty common from the "NHRA is dying!" crowd.

I can't wait to see it on the track and I can't wait to get more silly season news.
I'm with you. I read comments on FB and usually it's not even worth offering a response. All the more reason we need to attract a newer, younger audience. Even the older people that have been around, but are not really OLD, seem to want to continue pining for the "good old days", and throw out messages without really thinking it through. I could write a long list of examples, but I won't. All I know is, there's a lot of really cool stuff happening going into 2022, and I'm looking forward to it!

I'm with you. I read comments on FB and usually it's not even worth offering a response. All the more reason we need to attract a newer, younger audience. Even the older people that have been around, but are not really OLD, seem to want to continue pining for the "good old days", and throw out messages without really thinking it through. I could write a long list of examples, but I won't. All I know is, there's a lot of really cool stuff happening going into 2022, and I'm looking forward to it!
Spot on. It's a lot to be excited about right now heading into 2022. I can't wait to see what else comes about. I personally think NHRA should be proud of the on track product that was produced this past season.

As far as reaching a younger audience, hopefully the video game can help with that. Hopefully we hear something soon and I truly hope that it's nothing like the Street Outlaws game.

Since none of the current FC bodies really look like their production car counterparts, the new Supra is no different. It’s definitely not ugly.
It has to be a positive for NHRA that another manufacturer went through the process of building and getting the new body approved.

The roof is also 2" higher so you can build cars with a 2" higher rollcage for taller drivers (who don't have as much helmet clearance to the cage) or to get more visibility.

The roof is also 2" higher so you can build cars with a 2" higher rollcage for taller drivers (who don't have as much helmet clearance to the cage) or to get more visibility.
jeff, i recall years ago seeing FC's passing under templates during tech. not even sure how bodies are teched and/or certified these days. was toyota able to lobby nhra
for additional roofline height? so their chassis can actually add height to the rollcage?......and for shorter drivers, i imagine the entire rollcage can be built higher for same
better visibility? guessing this is the 4th iteration of the toyota FC since the original white cap body?

Facebook tho?

Dragzine responses never disappoint when it comes to NHRA, nearly always a dumpster fire. Most have scar tissue and scabs on their knuckles from dragging them on the ground so much.

Only if you're 100% blind and almost dead. I guess we can assume you're legally blind and on your deathbed? That car looks NOTHING like a Camaro.

So show me where they're the same? Because I can easily show you all the differences. Just look anywhere on the entire body lol

View attachment 9623View attachment 9624View attachment 9625View attachment 9626View attachment 9627

Anyone with a lick of sense and sight can see they aren't anywhere close to the same. Literally everything on the body is different. The cabin shape, the hood, front end, sides...LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

It doesn't have an aero advantage over the other bodies? It surely appears as though it does.

I agree, the cabin shape is what I noticed - and liked - first thing. Nice looking ride for sure.

i think? what we're witnessing is toyota seeing value in the nhra. otherwise why would they expand their nhra platform? investing 2 years to develop a new FC body that
looks like a wedge (i'm just being honest here, they all do), and hang their 'supra' brand on it, is actually pretty astonishing. ....... all of a sudden there are 4 auto mfr's showing up
at every nat. event. in the FC class. ...... and now the FX class on the horizon. i would not be surprised if toyota doesn't play here as well.

John Garrison (Kieth Black guy) has a Step Son who works at TRD and they are stepping up everywhere. The new NASCAR latest generation car (Not only for Toyota) has Aluminum knock off wheels (16" I believe) and an IRS rear end. He said Toyota was one of the main ones pushing for changes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back