Top Fuel Blowovers (1 Viewer)

Nick

Nitro Member
Hello. Recently, I've been researching on YouTube, Top Fuel Blow-Overs and Wheel-stands. They were so common for so many years and then, poof....the phenomenon ended with the simple addition of wheelie bars.

One blow over that is one of the most historic is the Eddie Hill blowover in Pomona in 1989(?). I can't seem to find a video of it on the internet anywhere. Does anyone have a link to where that crash might be?

I find it interesting to track the safety evolution of these vehicles by reviewing old crashes to see how far we've come safety wise.

Thanks. :)

I saw Eddie's blowover at Pomona and if I remember correctly, it was because the front wing angle changed at the end of the run and caused air to get underneath the body.

Yes, James. That is true, I believe that was the cause. However, the presence of a wheelie bar would have prevented the crash.....I think.

Any idea of where that crash is on the internet now?

Yes, James. That is true, I believe that was the cause. However, the presence of a wheelie bar would have prevented the crash.....I think.

Any idea of where that crash is on the internet now?

You can watch it on my YouTube channel.

About 50 seconds into this video.

At the rate of speed that went over when the front wings broke, I doubt a wheelie bar would have done much other than pitch the car one way or the other. Same with Jimmy Nix.

To date, on the NHRA side, the last Top Fuel blowover was Chris Vandergriff at the 2003 U.S. Nationals.

Thanks Dave. I forgot how big of a story that was! There's a reason the Hill Team was always my favorite.

Phil Burgess did a couple big write ups in his Insider column that touched on every single blowover on record. All good reads.

A few blowovers wheelie bars would not have helped. Nix # 2, snake # 1, Hill. Kate Harker had one in an a/fuel car that had a wheelie bar on it. It got up to a certain point and just folded up the bar.

Thanks Paul. I just read all 4 parts to Phil Burgess's blowover series. Very good read. The funny thing is, I'm not sure they have solved he blowover problem....or have they? I guess 10+ years without a blowover is proof enough?

"1900 lbs"

Just imagine what the cars could do these days if they only weighted 1900 lbs!

E="Dave Wesolowski, post: 331287, member: 945"]You can watch it on my YouTube channel.

About 50 seconds into this video.

At the rate of speed that went over when the front wings broke, I doubt a wheelie bar would have done much other than pitch the car one way or the other. Same with Jimmy Nix.

To date, on the NHRA side, the last Top Fuel blowover was Chris Vandergriff at the 2003 U.S. Nationals.[/QUOTE

I can't believe that is Gary Gerould:rolleyes:

Phil Burgess did a couple big write ups in his Insider column that touched on every single blowover on record. All good reads.

A few blowovers wheelie bars would not have helped. Nix # 2, snake # 1, Hill. Kate Harker had one in an a/fuel car that had a wheelie bar on it. It got up to a certain point and just folded up the bar.

Didn't Bob Vandergriff's brother have a Blowover a few years ago?

What's amazing is that's ELEVEN years ago. I was thinking it was 4-5. Damn time really marches on, and fast...

Thanks Dave. I forgot how big of a story that was! There's a reason the Hill Team was always my favorite.

I loved the Hill team cause Eddie and Ercie were over the top nice people. I remember back in the dawn of the internet I sent them an email asking for an autographed pic, they ended up mailing me (they paid for postage) several cards signed by both of them and a bunch of stickers and other stuff. Their signatures were immaculate.

In that story by Burgess he ran the picture I shot of Doug Herbert's blowover at Ennis in 1992.
The picture took 3rd place in the National Dragster reader's photo contest that year.
I'll dig up the original and post it later.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back