Tony Stewart racing debut (1 Viewer)

Gotta be the closest final round this entire year, 2/10,000ths. I'd almost rather get beat by 2 lengths than 2/10,000ths. A good fart in the right direction could have changed the outcome of this one.

With NHRA, money talks. If you want to race you can buy your way in. It has been like that for years!
Welcome to motorsports, if you think it's just NHRA you need to pay attention. All the way up to F1, pay to play is a big part of who's in the seat. Always will be.

The final was simply amazing. I had both to cheer for as Duane (Madison's owner) and I raced in sand drags together and I have always like "Tony the tantrum." Not to mention watching Brad Anderson at the old "Speedrome" before it became LVMS. The fact that his RTs were so consistent and good were impressive. His interview with FOX was also impressive when he said he had 13 runs in Leah's car and felt 'what am I doing' this car is faster than I am right now. Humble way of approaching things. All around good for NHRA and the fans, it was neat. Yay Madison!

I wonder if he walked up to Mike Salinas and asked "Guess what we have in common"???

Both got handed a holeshot in the final by a young blond!!!

Congrats to Madison on her first win, loved both of their interviews. Tony showed so much class to her, and I loved that he had way more fun than he has in a long time with anything that has fenders on it! I would say that he'll be around the sport for years to come.

Tony is humble enough to be honest with him self and take the time and effort to learn how to drive just about anything with wheels, smart enough to not let ego or impatience rush him into bad decisions on the track, would also like to congratulate Madison and team on a great race and win

anyone know what the situation is with future driver/s for the McPhillips dragster?

Nice that he had a good run but I'll be honest, I didn't want the rookie to win and make this look easy.
I want to see Tony do well in TAD and NHRA, I was cheering against him all weekend. I think it was a bigger deal to James Stevens, Taylor Vetter, Chris Demke and Madison Payne to get to race him and possibly beat him. We all know that Tony had a top notch ride car and team that has won multiple events over the last few years but his non NHRA followers do not. For him to win his very first race makes the rest of them look bad. It was awesome to see the class get more exposure.

Not arguing, just asking. Did anybody have a problem when Rich McPhillips Jr. drove the car?

He won the first race he ever ran. Then he won the second race he ever ran. Then he won the third race he ever ran. And he certainly has less racecar driving experience than Tony.

Alan

Not arguing, just asking. Did anybody have a problem when Rich McPhillips Jr. drove the car?

He won the first race he ever ran. Then he won the second race he ever ran. Then he won the third race he ever ran. And he certainly has less racecar driving experience than Tony.

Alan

I hope he wins down the road as the attention he can bring the sport is great, just not in his first race as a drag racer. My hope was a second round result for him but he did great job and made the final. As for McPhillips, I'm always team Demke so I would have rooted against Rich too. :)

if you're going to shine a spotlight on a non-professional nhra class with a world-renown driver making his debut, could you script a race any better than
to have final round with said racer vs. a young lady also without a win? it was perfect.

Alan
I think the issue is that it was going to be plastered all over motorsports news. Some may take it as easy because Tony did it on the first try. Rich McPhillips Jr. was not going to make news outside of drag racing. They weren’t necessarily rooting against Tony.

Last edited:

Alan
To me it’s about the perception of the class. When McPhillips Jr. won in his first race, most if any media outlets didn’t mention it or even care. I think NHRA is considered easy or even a lower class series compared to NASCAR by the roundy round crowd. Stewart winning in his first event would only reinforce that impression. Instead a 19 year old girl beats the racing legend in a final round by decided by the thinnest of margins. I haven’t seen any negative posts about Tony. He will win because he is talented and in a good car. However there are many others talented drivers in the class too.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back