Tom Hammonds returns!!! (1 Viewer)

Surprised to learn that he sold his car dealership. But it will be good to see him racing again.

The hits just keep coming during Indy. Good news on Tom's return. Who's next to announce they're coming back?:)

Are they going to lease engines?
According to the article:

"We're going to have our own in-house engine program, and we're in the process of building a brand-new race shop in my hometown of Crestview, Fla.," said Hammonds. "The good thing about that is that it's only 10 minutes away from our local dragstrip, which will give us the opportunity to test. That will be a key component for us."

This is great news! Glad to hear that Tom is making a return to driving. Next year should be one awesome season of pro stock racing! :D

This is great news for the sport, if you've ever met the guy, then you know, he's a class act.

That's great-Tom is a class act and his status as an ex-NBA star will bring more recognition for the sport.

Great to see Tom return to the "Money Pit" :D , but I tend to disagree with the idea that it will bring more recognition to the sport.

Had he gone NASCRAP racing, most definiately, as their media machine works a bit differently than ours :rolleyes:

Other than a few mentions in USA Today, Tom's crossover appeal really never went the other way to grab the attention of the "baller" crowd (who's car attention usually involves overpriced SUVs with locomotive sized wheels..), so the belief that we may see ANY upswing in attendance or press coverage due to star recognition (be it from other sports, music or movies) is a stretch, at best, IMHO.

It's our own little niche sport, and we welcome all to come play... I don't think as many of us would have the same opportunity to participate in the NBA (Hell, I can't even get good seats to that action! :p )

Well I can say for certain that a couple of basketball fans I work with followed Hammonds the last time he raced. And these were guys who had previously never shown any interest in any kind of motorsports whatsoever. I also know that NASCAR was successful in gaining a following from by a segment of football fans when several former NFL players and coaches got involved with the sport.

In other words, when it comes to attracting new fans to drag racing I think Hammonds' involvement certainly won't hurt.

It won't hurt, absolutely. And before I go off on one of my old-Mater rants about the NHRA media Dept, lets just say that maybe while NHRA is adopting NASCAR style rules and techniques, the'll also look at how the roundy-round boys get the word across to the rest of the world..

We now end this hijack and return you to your regularly scheduled thread... WELCOME BACK TOM!!!!
:)

This is excellent news!

As others have said, Tom is truly one of the greatest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

With his competitive spirit and drive, he just may be able to pull off his own engine program. I wish him all the best.

Tom is a class guy. He was interested in a pro street car I had for sale in ND back several years ago. Nothing but nice & sincere... Cool guy!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back