To the Rumor Mongers (1 Viewer)

The "glory days" IMO occured in the 1980's.
There was nothing like going to Indy at any point in the 80s. I personally think that was the absolute best of times when tuning was done before any technological help, before Force started the downfall of the NHRA by introducing the two, or multi car teams with a distinct advantage that blocks out all others from having an equal chance to grow and attract a sponsor....

Hill, Gwynn, Amato, Snake, Tom, The King, Ed, Dick, Ace, Shirley, Gary, Grose, Raymond, Pastorini working with nickels and dimes and still making the show on one pass..and the best of the best, Big, doing the impossible with homemade pipe and a couple bucks.
Just how do you even reconcile that with what is offered today? That was an impossible act to try and follow.
The little guy had a chance, and the cars were wild. Bob Gottschalk would set something on fire, and Billy Meyer would pull something out of the hat just when he struggled the most. All being brought together and televised by the best ever, Steve Evans and Diamond P Productions.
It was unstoppable drama.

Technology, 1000' and the economic downturn, mated to "team" orientation who replaced the actual race car driver with the "pretty face" has created the perfect storm on the NHRA to become what it is today IMO, redundant, bogus, unexciting, and falling out of relevance for the sponsor and fan alike. None of these things are anybodys fault, just the evolution of motorsports I guess...
Harsh criticism to those who didn't live through those times, but I think those who did can unequivocally relate to what I'm saying.

So, those who get upset at the "rumors" should in turn drop to their knees, and thank GOD above that at least a few people are still paying some attention, and that the sport may still be relevant to some who still care about the NHRA.

Last edited:
You guys are all right one way or another. Yes, there is still the enthusiasm of a new season, but it IS different than years gone by. It really is a combination of thinks that got us here, much of which is the natural evolution as mentioned, particularly regarding performance and costs. I think we are at a major crossroads. Grass-roots drag racing will always be around, but if we are to have a "Big Show" in 10 or 15 years that's relevant to the rest of the world, the sport needs to be re-invented, and then marketed like a banshee. I don't claim to know the perfect formula, but I would say a mix of the old and the new of some sort. And more nitro. Maybe eliminate some classes at national events and include AA/FA Eliminator and Nostalgia FCs. I don't know, but we need to do something to inject some new excitement and attract fans other than us diehards. I mean, come on, we're starting to lose the interest of the diehards...

You guys are all right one way or another. Yes, there is still the enthusiasm of a new season, but it IS different than years gone by. It really is a combination of thinks that got us here, much of which is the natural evolution as mentioned, particularly regarding performance and costs. I think we are at a major crossroads. Grass-roots drag racing will always be around, but if we are to have a "Big Show" in 10 or 15 years that's relevant to the rest of the world, the sport needs to be re-invented, and then marketed like a banshee. I don't claim to know the perfect formula, but I would say a mix of the old and the new of some sort. And more nitro. Maybe eliminate some classes at national events and include AA/FA Eliminator and Nostalgia FCs. I don't know, but we need to do something to inject some new excitement and attract fans other than us diehards. I mean, come on, we're starting to lose the interest of the diehards...

Unfortunate but so correct.Alot of us are quickly losing intrest in the Big Show.

I totally agree with this post. Grassroots racing will always be around, but unless we get a handle on the Big Show it will implode. I’m one of those diehards (for four decades) who is losing interest in the Big Show for the reasons George mentioned: “Technology, 1000' ... "team" orientation that replaced the actual race car driver with the "pretty face" ... (has made) NHRA what it is today IMO, redundant, bogus, unexciting, and falling out of relevance for the sponsor and fan alike.”

Nunzio's “marketing like a banshee” comment is right on. How did Brittany Spears or ______ (fill in the blank with any other talentless “star”) make the big-time? They are products of a media machine that could market their product in a way that you felt you were missing something exceptional if you missed it. The irony is NHRA has a product that really is exceptional, but the marketing has been weak to non-existent. It’s time for an overhaul - then let's tell the world!

The "glory days" IMO occured in the 1980's.
There was nothing like going to Indy at any point in the 80s. I personally think that was the absolute best of times when tuning was done before any technological help, before Force started the downfall of the NHRA by introducing the two, or multi car teams with a distinct advantage that blocks out all others from having an equal chance to grow and attract a sponsor....

Hill, Gwynn, Amato, Snake, Tom, The King, Ed, Dick, Ace, Shirley, Gary, Grose, Raymond, Pastorini working with nickels and dimes and still making the show on one pass..and the best of the best, Big, doing the impossible with homemade pipe and a couple bucks.
Just how do you even reconcile that with what is offered today? That was an impossible act to try and follow.
The little guy had a chance, and the cars were wild. Bob Gottschalk would set something on fire, and Billy Meyer would pull something out of the hat just when he struggled the most. All being brought together and televised by the best ever, Steve Evans and Diamond P Productions.
It was unstoppable drama.

Technology, 1000' and the economic downturn, mated to "team" orientation who replaced the actual race car driver with the "pretty face" has created the perfect storm on the NHRA to become what it is today IMO, redundant, bogus, unexciting, and falling out of relevance for the sponsor and fan alike. None of these things are anybodys fault, just the evolution of motorsports I guess...
Harsh criticism to those who didn't live through those times, but I think those who did can unequivocally relate to what I'm saying.

So, those who get upset at the "rumors" should in turn drop to their knees, and thank GOD above that at least a few people are still paying some attention, and that the sport may still be relevant to some who still care about the NHRA.

Don't know how old you are, George; I'll be 42 in January, and being less than a couple of hours from IRP, this post pretty much says it for me. Gary Beck's 5.48, either of Prudhomme's unheard of passes of 5.63 in the Pepsi Challenger or the 5-teen (.18 or .16) in the Skoal piece, the Snowman's 5-flat in the semis, Amato's 282mph blast, all of Glidden's dominance (even though I'm a die-hard Reher & Morrison guy); Good God I could go on and on. Hell, I remember the aforementioned Gottschalk setting the National Record at the points meet with a 6.60.

Well put, George.

Sean D

One of my best memories of the Winternationals is being in one of two vans full of race officials after the day's events were cancelled because of snow.

Everyone was laughing and having a goodtime doing donuts and having snowball fights at the far-end.

Never been to Indy, but I understand the importance. It was important to our heros to go and race there. And so it was important to pay attention to what happened.

Now none of them are special. There just another race.

There will NEVER be anything like Pomona in the early '70's !!
AA/FD's would make a run in the afternoon and then come back to the staging lanes and TEAR IT DOWN right there hoping to get another qualifying run !! Qualifying runs weren't limited back then......
Great Memories for sure.....:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back