To the Rumor Mongers (1 Viewer)

Tonys just worried the next rumor will be he is gonna be replaced since he didnt win a race this year... Oops did I start another one? :):)

I know you were joking, but that's like Jimmie Johnson losing Lowes for not winning the gold this year...

I know I have posted this before on here so I apologize in advance. But I still get a laugh out of a story my dad told me while he was shop foreman at Ed Pinks back in the 70's.
They had a new combination for Schumachers (Don) funny car and tested on a Sunday at Orange County. The only people who knew were a couple guys at Pinks and of course Don. They did the testing and my dad went to work Monday morning and one of the first calls he got was from a racer clear on the East coast how the testing went. My dad was like WTF?? Schumacher told him the three fastest ways of communication are: telephone, tell a racer, and tell a woman!!
Sorry to post this story again but I like it, lol.

Actually, I think to the contrary, there is something to be said for "there's no such thing as bad publicity". If it weren't for the silly season rumors, NHRA would be completely forgotten for several months a year.

The Internet is arguably the best thing that's happened to many "niche" sports. It provides a free and easy way for fans to find each other, and to rekindle their interest in the sport when there is no official news, and when others who share their interest may be far away or hard to find. There have been "hot stove leagues" for every sport, forever. The Internet just makes them bigger.

I'm not sure that even In-and-Out who got "slammed" for moving on from Melanie would be disappointed by the fact that people are still talking about their products, that people are using phrases like "double-double, animal" in a public forum. Can't be bad that a guy from Seattle, hundreds of miles from the nearest In-and-Out knows what that means, and merely typing it here makes him want one...

Well Christopher the Big Show is the Niche but Drag Racing is still the largest Grassroots Motor sports in the world.
I'm a firm believer in Dancing With The One That Brung You !

Well Christopher the Big Show is the Niche but Drag Racing is still the largest Grassroots Motor sports in the world.

Actually, I believe in the world, rally is the motorsport with the most participants. I've heard this several times from different sources. But in the US, it's still drag racing.

Chris

well, after reading the article i see that tony never mentions the internet. Only says he is annoyed with the rumor mill that was grinding out gossip at Pomona. So the implication is that the rumors here are only the continuation of the ones from the pits.

I feel sorry for those of you that weren't able to walk the pits of Pomona in February like it was Christmas morning looking for your favorite cars & drivers to see the new cars and paint. It was a common experience to actually smell fresh paint when trailer doors were opened and new cars were rolled out.

I remember standing next to Raymond Beadle as he was checking his new ride...a red "Don Schumacher" Vega....what?! Now a days stuff like that is leaked 6 months prior with renderings and press releases. And I think that sucks...

This sport has lost it's soul and romance due in no small part to the internet, IMO. Or maybe this is just ramblings from a now much older 11 year old boy...

Last edited:
were all here to have fun who cares who signs what deal or who goes where its always fun to speculate and in this hobby sure people have mouths to feed but $hit happends live every day like its your last you never know when your time is up look as morgan lucas his what 5 crew chiefs he had this year they all had mouths to feed to but in a matter of 3-4 races they got let go thats racing for you let us have our fun with speculations theres a reason we call it silly season if you or anyone else truely has a problem with speculation or rumours i suggest you crawl under a rock or quit reading what is posted because every where you go there will always be a rumour out there whether it be truth or b.s is for you to decide

There are punctuation keys on your keyboard. Using a few would make your post a little more readable. :D

I feel sorry for those of you that weren't able to walk the pits of Pomona in February like it was Christmas morning looking for your favorite cars & drivers to see the new cars and paint. It was a common experience to actually smell fresh paint when trailer doors were opened and new cars were rolled out.

I remember standing next to Raymond Beadle as he was checking his new ride...a red "Don Schumacher" Vega....what?! Now a days stuff like that is leaked 6 months prior with renderings and press releases. And I think that sucks...

This sport has lost it's soul and romance due in no small part to the internet, IMO. Or maybe this is just ramblings from a now much older 11 year old boy...

I'm not sure that's all gone. When I get to Pomona every February, it's still a whole new year. Even if photos have been leaked, it's still great to see it all in the flesh. You can taste the optimism in the air.

And there's something about crossing the parking lot walking toward the gate for that first day, especially if there's someone warming up in the pits, or some sportsman class going down the lanes. Add in a whiff of racing gas or nitro, and I'm getting goose bumps just typing this.

It's like the first crisp fall day that makes you think of the first day of school. Or that special song or perfume that takes you back to your first love. It's a sensory thing, something the internet can never spoil.

Christopher,
If you weren't there in the early 70's then you really wouldn't understand. It's not even remotely the same. Not even close.

And yup Paul, on the top of Tom's Plymouth wagon. Gawd I still miss him!

Christopher,
If you weren't there in the early 70's then you really wouldn't understand. It's not even remotely the same. Not even close.

I didn't say it's the same. I said: "I'm not sure it's all gone."

No, I wasn't at Pomona in the early 70's. I was at Milan and Norwalk in the early 70s. Please don't insult me and try to tell me "how it was back then". I was around racing back then too.

Very sorry. I had forgotten the first race of the year, every year, when every piece was fresh, was in Milan or Norwalk.

Very sorry. I had forgotten the first race of the year, every year, when every piece was fresh, was in Milan or Norwalk.

My point was, the first race at Pomona is still special, at least to some degree and to some people.

Your point, apparently is "neener, neener, I was there and you weren't". Good for you. :rolleyes:

My point was, the first race at Pomona is still special, at least to some degree and to some people.

Your point, apparently is "neener, neener, I was there and you weren't". Good for you. :rolleyes:

Don't forget Chris.....in drag racing, every road leads into Southern California and none of them lead out :rolleyes:

Don't forget Chris.....in drag racing, every road leads into Southern California and none of them lead out :rolleyes:

Some of us Lucky Ones Did Escape....:confused: you can check out anytime, but you can Never Leave... yeah, it's burnt into your mind forever.... and there are no ruby slippers...:eek:

d'kid

Christopher,

And yup Paul, on the top of Tom's Plymouth wagon. Gawd I still miss him!

Bill...I still remember the 70's Winters when I was there with my dad and his new comp cars. Being in the pits and seeing all the new cars coming in. I still recall as late as the mid 80's when I would go to the Winternationals and seeing the new fuelers in the staging lanes and just walking up and down the lanes taking in all the new stuff.....pretty cool. I don't even bother to go to the Winters now and I usually have free tickets.

JR

I'm not sure that's all gone. When I get to Pomona every February, it's still a whole new year. Even if photos have been leaked, it's still great to see it all in the flesh. You can taste the optimism in the air.

And there's something about crossing the parking lot walking toward the gate for that first day, especially if there's someone warming up in the pits, or some sportsman class going down the lanes. Add in a whiff of racing gas or nitro, and I'm getting goose bumps just typing this.

It's like the first crisp fall day that makes you think of the first day of school. Or that special song or perfume that takes you back to your first love. It's a sensory thing, something the internet can never spoil.

I wish I can say I knew what it was like at Pomona in the 70's, but since I only started going in 1990 that's a Mute point! having said that, I'm starting to see people who refer to the "Glory" days of NHRA as being in the Mid 90's! When Eddie Hill, Don Prudhomme, Roland Leong and others were still racing!

It seems us Baby Boomers refer to everything we did before age 21 as the Time of our lives! And it's not until something becomes a memory that we appreciate it!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back