This ought to be interesting for Larry Dixon (1 Viewer)

Let's say Dixon made a pass, with a Traxxis exec as a passenger, and crashed, and the exec was injured. You know what would happen? All the chronic complainers on the Mater would be screaming "Why didn't the NHRA do something, I told you they don't care about safety!"

Let's say Dixon made a pass, with a Traxxis exec as a passenger, and crashed, and the exec was injured. You know what would happen? All the chronic complainers on the Mater would be screaming "Why didn't the NHRA do something, I told you they don't care about safety!"
Not only that, take it to the next level when lawyers get involved. Any name on that car would be subject to a lawsuit.

OK what if he got a sticker finally and if what you just stated happened, what then, no lawsuit because it had a sticker? I really think this whole deal has gotten out of hand, I understand NHRA on this but with or without a sticker the car and driver have many other things that need to be inspected before the run at the track before it should ever be allowed to run, the sticker is important but other things are too. As far as that Jet Car crash, who in there right mind would have got in that thing, not much cage plus sitting next to a spinning turbine. Just saying.

Rick

Well if you voluntarily get into a 12,000 HP "bomb" I would think you know the risks. However in todays society even if the person signed a contract/waiver that said, I know I am very possibly going to die, there are going to be many lawsuits.
It is always somebody else's fault today.
This whole topic has gotten way out of hand
1) the sticker was expired 2 years ago.
2) the car was on display at a show
3) the testing was at a private session at a NON NHRA track
Does NHRA now rule every drag car on the planet? or only the own owned by the guy who is willing to drive for/where anyone is willing to pay him?

Does NHRA now rule every drag car on the planet? or only the own owned by the guy who is willing to drive for/where anyone is willing to pay him?

Well, if you leave an NHRA certification sticker on a modified chassis, then yes, they have a say in the situation.

BINGO! The chassis tag is no different than the SFI tag on a firesuit, restraints, clutch can or any other safety device. I see claims here all the time about how NHRA should make drivers safer with more and better devices. Yet when the NHRA questions Jr. one of the most obvious safety features and not following through for their input, the internet is set on fire with NHRA bashing.

I am one who does not like the current status of the NHRA pro series, but when it come to what (should be) their main purpose of promoting safety in racing I'm understand their POV and support them on this issue.

BINGO! The chassis tag is no different than the SFI tag on a firesuit, restraints, clutch can or any other safety device. I see claims here all the time about how NHRA should make drivers safer with more and better devices. Yet when the NHRA questions Jr. one of the most obvious safety features and not following through for their input, the internet is set on fire with NHRA bashing.

I am one who does not like the current status of the NHRA pro series, but when it come to what (should be) their main purpose of promoting safety in racing I'm understand their POV and support them on this issue.

I would agree with you 100% if the chassis cert was a current cert, that would be totally wrong bordering on fraud. The report says it was expired 2 years ago. If that is true it is not like he was trying to pass it off as current.

As with most conflicts, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. That said, I am left with a poor impression of the NHRA based on the information that has been presented to date. My personal feeling is that the severity of the punishment levied far exceeds the severity of the infraction.

I no longer have access to a current NHRA rule book, but if someone who does could look I have a question. Does the rule cited state that all expired inspection stickers must be removed? If so, does it state who is responsible for their removal? IMHO an interpretation could be made that the sticker was no longer valid as it's expiration had passed and along with it the sanctioning body's ownership of same.

As an aside, I have personally seen numerous expired chassis inspection stickers on cars, usually in the for sale category. Everyone had better start checking their stuff before they get near an NHRA official lest they pull a suspension....

Jeffery, I have seen no such rule and was told by an NHRA official to NOT remove my expired tag before re-certification; that the inspector would do that (which he did).

I would agree with you 100% if the chassis cert was a current cert, that would be totally wrong bordering on fraud. The report says it was expired 2 years ago. If that is true it is not like he was trying to pass it off as current.
I would think the tech inspector would say something....... they check my chassis tag every time I race. By the same token, surely Larry would know this and not expect to pass tech with an expired tag. So what really happened here?

Any track operator with an ounce of brains would have tech'd the car and seen an expired chassis cert. Just because it belongs to Wooptie Doo doesn't mean you let them unload anything they want and start making runs, test day or not.

Since the car had a Traxxas wrap on it, and was in the Traxxas booth at SEMA, I wonder if the NHRA didn't shoot themselves in the foot sponsorship wise. Traxxas sponsors (or may quit sponsoring) both their nitro shootouts. If I were the CEO of Traxxas I'd tell the NHRA where they can stick their nitro shootouts.

Since the car had a Traxxas wrap on it, and was in the Traxxas booth at SEMA, I wonder if the NHRA didn't shoot themselves in the foot sponsorship wise. Traxxas sponsors (or may quit sponsoring) both their nitro shootouts. If I were the CEO of Traxxas I'd tell the NHRA where they can stick their nitro shootouts.

But then again, if you were the CEO of Traxxas, looked at the metrics of your business as a result of the NHRA sponsorship and engagement and determined it’s a big boost your business, where would you tell them to stick it then?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back