Coming Soon? I Hope... (1 Viewer)

I know one TAFC racer who said he'll sell everything and quit if this comes to fruition.

Anyways, somewhere in a America, Scott Weiss is smiling.

I'm sad to hear someone feels that way. It is true that the blown dragsters have fallen behind the A/Fuel cars in dragster (I keep hoping for Cowie to win the championship but Meyer is just a bit quicker). BUT after Meyer ran 5.09 maybe NHRA will make adjustments. That does NOT mean the same situation would take in place in TAFC. Personally I would love to see injected TAFC and maybe it could result in more cars. I'm all for it ! Hats off to NHRA for even asking for input.

I personally don't believe the power plant under the body is the barrier to entry for TAFC. I also don't think if you make A/Fuel legal that car count will go up. It will be mostly existing TAFC teams that would convert from blown alcohol to A/Fuel, it's not as if there are a bunch of racers sitting on the sideline with A/Fuel motors waiting for NHRA to do something with the TAFC class.

All of that being said, as a fan I would watch. And if it is something the racers want and endorse, why not?

T/AD is more or less equal. 5.09 nitro, 5.12 alky. BUT, there are way more nitro cars than alky, and maybe 4 alky cars that can run with the nitro cars. I think it's a lot more expensive to get an alky combination that is competitive. I'd guess the same thing will happen if TA/FC allows nitro. Why not let nostalgia F/C run TA/FC? Say with a 10:71 blower to equal things out. That would give the nostalgia folks more races. I'd also like to see nostalgia T/F run with T/AD, bigger tires &, say, 10:71 blower. Just my 10 cents. (Used to be 2 cents, but inflation, ya know....)

My biggest concern would be potential fires. Nitro in the tank increases the risk of a body catching fire and the safety team at some divisional tracks are not the same level of a national event.

T/AD is more or less equal. 5.09 nitro, 5.12 alky. BUT, there are way more nitro cars than alky, and maybe 4 alky cars that can run with the nitro cars. I think it's a lot more expensive to get an alky combination that is competitive. I'd guess the same thing will happen if TA/FC allows nitro. Why not let nostalgia F/C run TA/FC? Say with a 10:71 blower to equal things out. That would give the nostalgia folks more races. I'd also like to see nostalgia T/F run with T/AD, bigger tires &, say, 10:71 blower. Just my 10 cents. (Used to be 2 cents, but inflation, ya know....)

So you want all the Nostalgia racers to completely junk their combinations and current parts inventory to run for even more putrid purses than they already run for?

TAFCs with 3 speeds and revving to the moon should never go away!

This sums it up for me, personally. Sitting around 800' while a 3-speed blown alcohol dragster or funny car comes down the track and thunders by when they plug it into high gear is absolute music to my years, rivaled only by high RPM, naturally aspirated small block rowing through a 5-speed.

If adding A/F to the funny car class adds participants, that's certainly not a bad thing, but like someone already said, I don't see that happening. I guess we'll see though.

Sean D

I say let the nitro in TAFC,either as injected with all the bells and whistles the dragster guys have AND the Heritage Series Legal N/FC (6-71 @19 over,21 gal pump, points mag and any % nitro).More options the sanctioning body provides the class could only help car count. Some will put something together for A/FC and some legal Heritage N/FC guys will come out.I agree with MM though,the round money needs to come UP across the board, for both the alcohol classes,if NHRA really wants to increase the car counts.

So you want all the Nostalgia racers to completely junk their combinations and current parts inventory to run for even more putrid purses than they already run for?

Mike, this was just an idea. You know way more about N/FC than I ever will. Just thought it would be cool to see N/FC running in TA/FC, kinda like the Chaos races.

Mike, this was just an idea. You know way more about N/FC than I ever will. Just thought it would be cool to see N/FC running in TA/FC, kinda like the Chaos races.

I don't think (and this is just my opinion) you can solve any class's problems by combining them with another class. It's just like if you have a problem with your lady, you don't go out and get another one. Then all you have is 2 problems.

Combining classes or drawing cars from a particular class into another isn’t growth, it’s actually just cannibalizing the sport. Whether or not A/F cars are allowed, the real way to get car counts up is to increase the payouts, it’s that simple. And that most likely means adding more sponsorship to the class.

I am going to share my friends thoughts, because I agree with them 100% *He has been around the class his entire life, and tunes a TAFC, so IMO his opinion is valid.

"I think there would be a negligible change in numbers.

1) You’ll have a few that build a new deal and come into the class.
2) You’ll have some that swap combos (no change in class numbers)
3) You’ll have others that get sick of parity issues and leave the class." *See Tony Smith's comment above, and it hasn't even been put in place yet.

Leave the class alone, increase the damn purses and give me two blown alcohol cars staging at 7000+ RPM and running side by side all the way to the stripe any day of the week.

Before getting too deep into this find out about transporting Nitro. NHRA is probably not going to allow anyone to bring Nitro into a race unless they have a permit to transport it because of liability to themselves. The Big Show races have a truck that hauls your fuel for you, but what about things like Division races. It will probably not be worth it to the vendor to go to all Division races in all the states and that makes it lopsided for the points. ICC rules are getting crazy. I have some Nitro for the "Cackle" car, but technically can't drive it down the road.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back