Help for a running toilet (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
I work under a bath room and the toilet runs every three minutes. oh there it gose again. And it's driving me F^^&ing nuts. I tried to remedy the problem by changed the valve to one of those jobbies that doesnt have a ballcock. Well even with the new valve without the ballcock it's running again! The last one of these I tried to take back I laughed hysterically trying to explain why the ball cock didn't work. Oh well I needed a laugh. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Rich, from what you described it's not the float ball/filler mechanism but instead the flapper that seals the exit hole off that is leaking. It's the rubber goodie that's attached to the chain from the handle. They wear out or get gunked up. They make polyurethane ones now that stop nearly any leaks but you need to get the surface algea/crud/sediment wiped clean for the flapper to seal properly.

Rich, from what you described it's not the float ball/filler mechanism but instead the flapper that seals the exit hole off that is leaking. It's the rubber goodie that's attached to the chain from the handle. They wear out or get gunked up. They make polyurethane ones now that stop nearly any leaks but you need to get the surface algea/crud/sediment wiped clean for the flapper to seal properly.

thats what she said!!!

Awsome, I'm on my way to Ace to replace the flapper. Lets see, flappers, rubbers, ball cocks. There's enough here to come up with some pretty good dirty jokes.

Rich,

Don't use the tablets in the tank that keep your toilet clean. Most of them have Clorine or bleach. This attacks the rubber and cause the flapper leaks.

Hehe... he said ballcock. :D

Sorry about that one, but every time someone says that I go into a cheesy laughter. :eek:

Well guys big news! Thanks to Bobby's solution the toilet is fixed! My nerves were shot as that darn thing seemed to flush every three or so minutes! And to think I didn't need a ball cock but just a flapper. Of course when I went to Ace I had to mention to the clerk that it turned out I didn't need the ballcock but just a $2.99 flapper.

She laughed and said they sell about four flappers a day so I wasn't the only one. By the way that flapper was the dirtiest, slimiest, vilest piece of debris I have ever touched and that toilet water was ice cold! :eek: But the results were worth it so thanks again Bobby!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back