This ought to be interesting for Larry Dixon (1 Viewer)

I think NHRA is in big trouble. From the story on Comp+ it says NHRA took the sticker off. What gives them the right to do this? Did Larry or Traxxas give them permission to enter there PAID space at SEMA and remove the sticker? SEMA isn't a NHRA event nor do they own SEMA. If they didn't give permission I believe that Larry should call the police and file a police report. Whoever entered the space from NHRA should be held responsible for criminal mischief and property damage. Now we all know Larry isn't going to do this but maybe someone on his behalf could file the report....

I'm really doubting it was Larry that stuck the sticker on the frame. I'd bet it was somebody at McKinney that did that since they did the mods.
I think NHRA is in big trouble. From the story on Comp+ it says NHRA took the sticker off. What gives them the right to do this? Did Larry or Traxxas give them permission to enter there PAID space at SEMA and remove the sticker? SEMA isn't a NHRA event nor do they own SEMA. If they didn't give permission I believe that Larry should call the police and file a police report. Whoever entered the space from NHRA should be held responsible for criminal mischief and property damage. Now we all know Larry isn't going to do this but maybe someone on his behalf could file the report....
Well Larry won't do something like that, he's not wanting to become adversarial with the NHRA. This sure seems like something that can be sorted out with some better communication. I mean, he even discussed it with Peter Clifford who apparently loves the concept! No matter what, NHRA needs all the Larry Dixons it can get, I hope they come to an amicable resolution.

Well Larry won't do something like that, he's not wanting to become adversarial with the NHRA. This sure seems like something that can be sorted out with some better communication. I mean, he even discussed it with Peter Clifford who apparently loves the concept! No matter what, NHRA needs all the Larry Dixons it can get, I hope they come to an amicable resolution.
NHRA just wants it cut, nothing more, nothing less.

Rick

I bet the passenger is a hell of a lot safer than anyone of the spectators sitting in the Mello Yellow trucks NHRA pulls up to the starting line with while fuel cars are running! Clearly there is more to the story is. I would think that none of us here were involved in that discussion.

On the other hand for those that remember Doug Herberts starting line explosion, would you like a ring side seat to that taking a direct hit from shrapnel of the exploding motor or a fireball? NHRA should be thinking about everything, not singling out one when they have their own potential disasters to watch out for.

For something like this they won't have the engine on kill like Herbert's was in competition. Running a safe combination would still give more than enough of a thrill ride. Along with the safety aspect, they would also want to keep the motor together as far as operational costs.

NHRA just wants it cut, nothing more, nothing less.

Rick
Not sure if that's what this is all about. Does NHRA get a piece of the other 2 seat dragster rides? I don't think Larry is going to get rich off of these rides, it's more about promotion and creating excitement for potential corporate partnerships. Even at 10K a pass, with everything super mild and running just to the 1/8, I don't think there's much meat left on the bone.

It seems like someone got a little ahead of themselves in their own "policing". This could have been easily handled quietly. Right or wrong, NHRA has made fools of themselves out of this deal; particularly with Larry Dixon being so willing to do the right thing.

Not sure if that's what this is all about. Does NHRA get a piece of the other 2 seat dragster rides? I don't think Larry is going to get rich off of these rides, it's more about promotion and creating excitement for potential corporate partnerships. Even at 10K a pass, with everything super mild and running just to the 1/8, I don't think there's much meat left on the bone.
Exactly, does anyone think that every Tom, Dick, Susie with $10k (or whatever) is going to get to try this? What would NHRA or Drag Racing get out of that? I read this as a Marketing tool, not amusement park fun ride. You couldn't get enough insurance to give Joe Public a ride in this car. No way, No how !!

If this ever happens, the passenger would likely be someone looking to partner with NHRA and grow or invest in the sport. Very select process with lots of liability waivers. Again, if this happens that is all it will ever be. Stop kidding yourselves and don't bother saving up the money.

... NHRA needs all the Larry Dixons it can get, I hope they come to an amicable resolution.
NHRA also needed all the Mike Dunns they could get but that didn't stop them from getting rid of the best commentator the sport has ever seen. I love drag racing but can't help but cringe every time I see one of my heroes vilified and wonder why we never saw this kind of crap when Wally was in charge. Or maybe it just wasn't as well publicized, I don't know. Either way, it's a shame that a sport that started to get kids off the street has turned into a business that apparently doesn't care about it's history or it's heroes.

i hope larry has many inquiries for a ride in his 2-seater. please nhra. see the forest thru the trees. the potential ride could enjoy a great weekend at the nat. event of his/her choice, followed by the ride of their life on monday.......and then who knows. you (nhra) mite have another papa john on your hands. larry mite have one the best and most unique selling tools to come along in a long time.
i think i'd be overly optimistic about getting behind it.....i'll betcha' there are folks already involved in the sport that will want to
take a ride in it.

sorry, didn't research whether erica had won this year. didn't remember that she had.....well then she'd get her 2nd trophy
of the year :rolleyes:

It seems like someone got a little ahead of themselves in their own "policing". This could have been easily handled quietly. Right or wrong, NHRA has made fools of themselves out of this deal; particularly with Larry Dixon being so willing to do the right thing.

It's ^^^^this^^^^ simple as far as I'm concerned. Dixon obviously did some things out of order, but any attempt to construe that there was malice involved is ridiculous, thus making the way NHRA handled it look absolutely foolish.

Sean D

I see NHRA's point with wanting the sticker removed. That being said, their reaction was kin to killing a fly with a 20 pound sledge hammer.

There's got to be more to this story than what is currently out there.
Suspend a multi-time top fuel world champ just because of that inspection sticker? Come on.
What's the back story here?

There's got to be more to this story than what is currently out there.
Suspend a multi-time top world champ just because of that inspection sticker? Come on.
What's the back story here?

Yes he ran IHRA and a Cordova Dragway sticker on his car at Gainesville. He is black balled.

Exactly, does anyone think that every Tom, Dick, Susie with $10k (or whatever) is going to get to try this? What would NHRA or Drag Racing get out of that? I read this as a Marketing tool, not amusement park fun ride. You couldn't get enough insurance to give Joe Public a ride in this car. No way, No how !!

If this ever happens, the passenger would likely be someone looking to partner with NHRA and grow or invest in the sport. Very select process with lots of liability waivers. Again, if this happens that is all it will ever be. Stop kidding yourselves and don't bother saving up the money.

Larry was able to secure insurance, maybe why he is limited to 1/8 mile 250 mph?

For something like this they won't have the engine on kill like Herbert's was in competition. Running a safe combination would still give more than enough of a thrill ride. Along with the safety aspect, they would also want to keep the motor together as far as operational costs.

Hi Mike, that wasnt my point in regards to his tune up. My point was that NHRA pulls up the Mello Yello truck loaded with fans where an engine explosion could do much more damage to more than one person compared to Larry's ride.

Bob

Yes, a multi time TF champ that can not get a TF ride......................racing Alky and in Australia

Yes, a multi time TF champ that can not get a TF ride......................racing Alky and in Australia
Not sure what your point is, winning championships doesn’t guarantee rides forever. Larry has put everything he has into staying in the sport, and promoting it. There could be worse things than driving one of the top alky cars in the country, and also running TF in Australia!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back