This has boondogle written all over it (1 Viewer)

mike cummings

Nitro Member
Global Carbon Tax Urged at UN Climate Conference

BALI, Indonesia – A global tax on carbon dioxide emissions was urged to help save the Earth from catastrophic man-made global warming at the United Nations climate conference. A panel of UN participants on Thursday urged the adoption of a tax that would represent “a global burden sharing system, fair, with solidarity, and legally binding to all nations.”

“Finally someone will pay for these [climate related] costs,” Othmar Schwank, a global tax advocate, told Inhofe EPW Press Blog following the panel discussion titled “A Global CO2 Tax.” Schwank is a consultant with the Switzerland based Mauch Consulting firm

Schwank said at least “$10-$40 billion dollars per year” could be generated by the tax, and wealthy nations like the U.S. would bear the biggest burden based on the “polluters pay principle.”

The U.S. and other wealthy nations need to “contribute significantly more to this global fund,” Schwank explained. He also added, “It is very essential to tax coal.”
.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

Does anyone really think that a carbon "tax" will do any good? And it seems more realistic to call this a penalty rather than a tax. Where do the revenues from this penalty, I mean tax go? read on:

The environmental group Friends of the Earth, in attendance in Bali, also advocated the transfer of money from rich to poor nations on Wednesday.

A climate change response must have at its heart a redistribution of wealth and resources,” said Emma Brindal, a climate justice campaigner coordinator for Friends of the Earth.

If they are going to call it a tax, they should at least refer to it as the Robin Hood tax since it is taking from the rich and giving to the poor.

Who is going to administer this new found wealth? The u.n? Please, the up oil for food program they administered was so rife with corruption and graft does anyone think the projected $10 to $20 billion will be any different?

There are some voices of reason to this madness

MIT climate scientist Dr. Richard Lindzen warned about these types of carbon regulations earlier this year. "Controlling carbon is a bureaucrat's dream. If you control carbon, you control life," Lindzen said in March 2007. (LINK)

In addition, many critics have often charged that proposed tax and regulatory “solutions” were more important to the promoters of man-made climate fears than the accuracy of their science.

Former Colorado Senator Tim Wirth reportedly said in 1990, "We've got to ride the global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing — in terms of economic policy and environmental policy."

The last paragraph pretty much sums it all up. Even if global warming doesn't exist, we need to do something, anything to punish the prosperous nations of the world.

to help save the Earth from catastrophic man-made global warming

This is why I'm so nitpicky about personal opinion being stated as fact by people. In this case it's being said as if it's already a foregone conclusion to base everything that follows it on. There's your problem.

We're funding 20% of this organization's budget so they can spend it on ways to figure out how to fleece us for even more. Let's see a "global sharing" as they call it of the UN's budget with each country paying an equal amount of money. How about we start there?

I imagine they only want "fair" as long as they're the ones telling you what the definition of it is.

Last edited:
So being a carbon based life form,
and being taxed on my production. (labor)
Then I am already paying carbon tax.
I believe it's called "income tax".:confused::p:eek:

So being a carbon based life form,
and being taxed on my production. (labor)
Then I am already paying carbon tax.
I believe it's called "income tax".:confused::p:eek:

I thought my cousin (whose car proudly had an "I is a college student" on it's bumper when she was at University of Tennessee) taught me that you absorb carbon while living, then give it off from the moment you die? Thought she said that's what carbon dating is based on. The less you have, the older you are.

I wasn't aware that it had been proven that living things could "produce" elements.

Isn't this the same United Nations that oversaw the Oil For Food program that put approximately 22 BILLION tax dollars into Saddam's pocket? LOL, surely they wouldn't put another corrupt program on us? :D How about they pay us back for that one first, then we'll talk?

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back