The TA/FC 5.40 club has another member! (1 Viewer)

NHRAMike

Nitro Member
Jay Payne just became the second driver to break into the 5.40's at the LODRS race at No Problem Raceway with a 5.499 @ 257.73. Congrats to Jay, Shelly and the rest of the team!

Top Alcohol Funny Car Round 1 Eliminations
Here is the call from DRC:

Car#-Driver(Opp'nt)-RT-----ET---Speed-----Car#-Driver(Opp'nt)-RT----ET---Speed
46 Steve Burck 2 Jay Payne
E1 0.193 6.021 237.00 ****WINNER**** 0.138 5.499 257.73
Qualified: #5 6.445 211.30 #2 5.669 254.76

WOW!!1 A tremendous run by Payne, right down the middle of the lane, a career best to take the win. Burck drifted toward the wall around half-track but still made his quickest pass of the weekend. Payne will have a bye into the final round.

Yep...I was there the two 5.49 runs were great passes right down the middle....It was pretty cool mostly because of a fairly strong wind which died down around mid afternoon or so. Lots of folks were putting up some good numbers. The day did have it's moments in the morning a bike lost it on the top end with the rider sliding down the track(@ 130mph or so), he was fine got up and walked to his bike. Later a tops, sportsman car lost it about 200 feet out smacked the wall hard and then climbed up the concrete wall. Driver was ok....the car...not so good. Later a Super Comp car lost it the lights barrell rolling the car, the driver was alert and talking but they life flighted him out. And then later in the same round of comp I believe another two comp cars tangled on the top end, both drivers were fine...I don't know how bad the cars were.......By the way, Lindsey Wood won in TAD running a 5.29 in the final over Spencer Massey.

They pulled the plug when the Sun went down, track was too cold to continue. They will finish the remaining classes in the morning.

They pulled the plug when the Sun went down, track was too cold to continue. They will finish the remaining classes in the morning.

That sounded like a good idea-I thought it was a good call on the Division Director's part. Did a couple of comp cars get tangled up? You didn't write anything like that during the first three rounds of eliminations.

HI-JACK!! :eek:
I was wondering if anyone else pays attention to drivers R/T?? SEAN "WOODCHUCK" BELLEMEUR'S R/T's have been amazing... He was very good in NTF, but his lights at Pomona were...
Today at Phoenix...
Both events netting runner up finishes...
Nice job Sean...;) Walter is a win light away...:D
What?? I said HI-JACK!!:p
Continue on...

....... Did a couple of comp cars get tangled up? You didn't write anything like that during the first three rounds of eliminations.

I didn't see this one as I was in the alky pits when this happened. By the time word got back to the starting line the other racers were saying that two cars were involved. It must not have been very bad though because it didn't take that long before we were back racing.

That sounded like a good idea-I thought it was a good call on the Division Director's part. Did a couple of comp cars get tangled up? You didn't write anything like that during the first three rounds of eliminations.

No Comp cars were involved in an accident. A super comp car did cross over after the finish-line, but he missed the car in the left lane and hit the wall. The driver got out of the car on his own and only suffered a scratch or two.

Total crashes for the weekend, one motorcyle went down before he crossed the finish-line, two super comp cars after the finish-line, and one Top Sportsman got up on the wall about 200 feet out. One super comp driver was life-flighted to the hospital and returned to the track later last night, everyone else was okay.

Dave, thanks for the report that's good to hear... You know how track reports go, it can be a total different story by the time a story makes it from the top end back to the starting line.! LOL Glad to hear about the driver that was life flighted out. They said he was ok but you never know about those things. I never did get to see his car, but I would imagine it was a mess!

Jay like Manzo aren't afraid to kill parts to go fast!

I'm at many of the races that Manzo's at because I own a comp car that is based in D1. I don't recall any oildowns that were due to Ace blowing up parts. I don't pay attention to every run he makes, but my impression is that he's pretty easy on parts. Doug Palmer (Follow a Dream crew guy if not crew chief, can't remember which) comes on the Mater a lot-help me out on this one Doug-isn't Frank easy on parts?

over the years living in division one Ive watched Frank make tons of runs and for the life of me I can never remember him granading a motor. Ive seen him shake and shut off. But I have yet to see a grease sweep truck follow him down the track.

Last edited:
I'm at many of the races that Manzo's at because I own a comp car that is based in D1. I don't recall any oildowns that were due to Ace blowing up parts. I don't pay attention to every run he makes, but my impression is that he's pretty easy on parts. Doug Palmer (Follow a Dream crew guy if not crew chief, can't remember which) comes on the Mater a lot-help me out on this one Doug-isn't Frank easy on parts?

Dave I wasn't referring to Blowing up they're Motors per say. But Leaning on them hard enough to knock the Bearings out, or change the Springs every 3-4 passes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back