The Sports Rant Thread. (1 Viewer)

Bullard Anderson

Nitro Member
Can this thread survive and you fellow maters feel free to leave any sports rants as they come from today on to infinity?

Anybody listen to Dan "the Duke" Davis on ESPN radio. He gives the Sportscenter Updates. This guys a jacka$$. I puts in his little commentary every now and then, like last week: "The A's have given up on the season by trading Rich Harden....etc."

My take: Hey Duke, shut the heck up. The A's haven't given up on the season. Have you looked at the DL for the A's. We need healthy position players, not a often injured pitcher who can't stay off the DL and whose velocity is going down. I'm sure Dan's not staying up watching the A's on MLB DirecTv ticket like I am.

And BTW Dan, don't tell us who won the World Series of Poker this year in the summer when the tourney runs as a program series in the Fall. He had to give us the news a few years ago that Jamie Gold owed money to other folks and couldn't collect all the $$. Ruined the viewing for me.

Just ranting.

Steve, the final table at the WSOP will live on tv later in the year. Its a new format this year that plays to the final table then they all come back in sept(I think) and play for the 9 million.

What about the dumb titletown thing espn is doing.

You can't take that away from Green Bay. Run a champs city if they want or some other bogus contest but not titletown. Good lord there's nothing in Green Bay to begin with, no need to take away what little they have.

It'd be like them trying to take the Hockeytown name away from Detroit. There'd be a war.

I'm surprised that Green Bay doesn't have that term trademarked anyway that was it can't be stolen. I believe we have done that to Hockeytown, if I recall Toronto wanted to battle of it a few years ago but coulnd't because of that.

In the end does anyone really think that they will try to crown some other city that? I tend to think its just a cheap attempt at a ratings boost, they can roll into each of these towns through the month, have a live show, probably sell some espn swag and move on. I guess not a horrible idea in the end, just don't call it Titletown.

Besides we all know the D is champ city:D

i'll second the w.s. of poker.
nothing but a continuous commercial for gambling and las vegas........
........nothing like walking into some local establishment and seeing a table
full of people all wearing sunglasses playing a card game for 4 hours
and if given the opportunity, will drink pop and spend as little money
as possible with the host bar/restaurant.

How did Poker become a sport? Hand/eye coordination? I think not? Physical conditioning? Seriously doubt any? Will hearts be next? Even curling requires these in some form and we all know how exciting curling is.

Football camps opens soon which mean fantasy football is right arounf the corner

We had a league for here last year I can't remember is I ran it or not. I don't want to start one is someone else already ran it.

I think too many people make the mistake of assuming that just because something is on ESPN it qualifies as a sport or is given validation as a sport. This is quite simply not the case. The "E" in ESPN stands for Entertainment.

My sports related rant is the PTI-ization of the rest of ESPN's programming. Does anyone really care who is going to debate Skip Bayless on 1st and 10? Why must there be 4 sports reporters screaming at each other on Around the Horn? They have even started breaking into Sportscenter with two folks on opposite sides of whatever issue so they can have a 45 second debate. Ridiculous. A perfect example is Brett Favre and the amount of attention his unretirement is getting. Now he has told the Packers to release him so he can play elsewhere which prompted ESPN to have a plethora of chuckleheads yammering at each other for a half hour straight.

I think too many people make the mistake of assuming that just because something is on ESPN it qualifies as a sport or is given validation as a sport. This is quite simply not the case. The "E" in ESPN stands for Entertainment.

My sports related rant is the PTI-ization of the rest of ESPN's programming. Does anyone really care who is going to debate Skip Bayless on 1st and 10? Why must there be 4 sports reporters screaming at each other on Around the Horn? They have even started breaking into Sportscenter with two folks on opposite sides of whatever issue so they can have a 45 second debate. Ridiculous. A perfect example is Brett Favre and the amount of attention his unretirement is getting. Now he has told the Packers to release him so he can play elsewhere which prompted ESPN to have a plethora of chuckleheads yammering at each other for a half hour straight.

It does get annoying but at least they haven't outsourced the talking heads yet :D

And the SPN stands for Sports Programming Network.

Again, how the crap did poker qualify in any sports programming network? And as Cheryl asks what's the deal with Spelling Bees?
There is enough footage from athletic events of all kinds from so many different leagues that you could fill ten channels 24 hours a day without having to see poker on TV when you tune in just for sports.
Will we be seeing Monopoly championships any day soon? At least that teaches investment principals and rewards. What the crap does poker do besides cause an immediate channel change? There's my rant in greater detail. Curling anyone?

Again, how the crap did poker qualify in any sports programming network? And as Cheryl asks what's the deal with Spelling Bees?
There is enough footage from athletic events of all kinds from so many different leagues that you could fill ten channels 24 hours a day without having to see poker on TV when you tune in just for sports.
Will we be seeing Monopoly championships any day soon? At least that teaches investment principals and rewards. What the crap does poker do besides cause an immediate channel change? There's my rant in greater detail. Curling anyone?

I'm not sure of this, but I'd be willing to be that the WSOP pulls in double or more viewers than a NHRA show. I love poker. I play as much as I can and I watch it all the time on tv. I'm not saying its a sport, but it is very interesting to watch if your into it. Just think, the NHRA pays for there time, ESPN pays to have the rights to the WSOP. Just sayin'.

And for my sports rant: I want to kick Stephen A Smith in the nuts everytime I hear him talk. And Chris Berman's getting old too now. And I agree, the PTI thing sucks aswell. Ok, rant over.

The E for Entertainment comes before the S for Sports in ESPN Doc. Just sayin'.

I have been fortunate to play in many big poker tournaments and let me tell ya, those WSOP tournaments are tougher than they appear on TV. The Main Event is the richest open sporting event in the world by a LONG sight (probably one of the reasons ESPN is involved ... everyone understands $9 million to this year's winner). Anywhoo, the shortest of those tournaments is 3 days and the Main Event will work out to about 9 days of playing at 12-14 hours a day. One mathematical error or lapse in concentration and POOF your tournament is over. Could be a very expensive mistake. And Justin is right ... the ratings for poker are WAY better than the ratings for NHRA ... and there are at least twice as many people out there flipping to ESPN going "Awwww man, drag racing again ... when will it be over so I can watch poker".

Bobby, it takes a huge amount of conditioning to lift those cards off the table and if you win you'd better be in good shape to move a stack of chips(LOL):):p;)

By the way, my Wife has made a pretty good living playing poker.

In the Beginning It was Entertainment, Sports, Performance, Network. The also had Concerts and Dancing. might be dating myself, that was around 81 or 82.

d'kid

How did Poker become a sport? Hand/eye coordination? I think not? Physical conditioning? Seriously doubt any? Will hearts be next? Even curling requires these in some form and we all know how exciting curling is.

Hearts heck.... SPADES!!!! or Pinochle

d'kid

And for my sports rant: I want to kick Stephen A Smith in the nuts everytime I hear him talk. And Chris Berman's getting old too now. And I agree, the PTI thing sucks aswell. Ok, rant over.

BTW, I don't mind watching poker.....sometimes it is interesting to watch the players actions and reactions.

And personally, I would like to kick Jim Rome in the nuts everytime I hear him...

How you people sound like Jesse Jackson with your need to hurt peoples
Nut-al region:D:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back