The slower show! (1 Viewer)

the only fact is;

based on history EVERY time they try to slow down a motorsport they wind up going faster.

But wait Bob it gets worse! NHRA has made a terrible decision to bring their traveling road show to Denver Colorado next weekend where the altitude is over a mile high. How are the cars going to set national records there?!? What a waste of time!

Being born and raised in Denver, I have no idea how I became a diehard drag racing fan watching such a slower show over the last 40 years.

You got to see Joe Amato run 4.58/320 in 1999, a track record that was never broken. To this day one of the best runs ever, anywhere in my opinion.

135 degree track temp isn't going to yield any spectacular runs. It's too soon to say how new track prep is going to affect the performance until we get into the fall with some mind-shaft conditions.

Some people are really spoiled. I'm a Colorado native and never seen a national record at Bandimere for the Mile Highs or a divisional race but the racing has always been great. Amato's run was late at night after a thunderstorm so it was nice and cool. There is no reason to run at night here the racing is fine the way it is besides the teams have to load up and go to Sonoma. It would leave no room for delays.

135 degree track temp isn't going to yield any spectacular runs. It's too soon to say how new track prep is going to affect the performance until we get into the fall with some mind-shaft conditions.
In all fairness, the Friday night conditions at New England were pretty damn good. The previous year in similar conditions yielded 3.67 Top Fuel and 3.82 Funny Car track records. Low this year was 3.74 and 3.93. Also Funny Car speeds were down around 10 mph. Looks like the header rule and timing retard change have hit the Funnies a bit more then Top Fuel. The new track prep has definitely slowed the cars down.

They're going so slow, they are going to have to enforce the "Left lane is for passing only" rule....darn left lane bandits....

3.8@340 or 4.0 at 310
turn of the clocks there is no difference.
Thank you ,most of the complainers couldn’t come close without the display, I guess they think they are fooling someone about there ability to see the difference, don’t watch if you don’t like it not impressed

Seriously Bob, if you hate it so much, stop watching it! It seems like you have to chime in on a regular basis to remind everyone that YOU are getting ashortchanged with the new track prep. If you are trying to get people to agree with you, it doesn't seem to be working too well!
I don’t give a crap what people think I’m asking a question but your to stupid and don’t seem to comprehend apparently!
And to the guys saying the lesser funded teams going rounds well who won the races?
Still DSR, JFR, Kallitta so their point is mute!
27 replies isn’t the community either idiot!

I love the new prep...I got tired of seeing the same cars running the same numbers winning every weekend. Anything above 310 mph with high 3 second to low 4 second runs with a few pedal jobs thrown in is awesome. Thank you NHRA.
And who has won the races? In the end it’s still the money guys! So your point is mute!

I was in Miramonte @ 10,000 ft I am surprised you are still alive...gasp..........a lot of guys got sick there, could not sleep.........
Us racers in Denver would have no clue what to do with good air. We consider good air to be under 7500 ft. With temps this weekend, air should be around 9200 for our races.

In all fairness, the Friday night conditions at New England were pretty damn good. The previous year in similar conditions yielded 3.67 Top Fuel and 3.82 Funny Car track records. Low this year was 3.74 and 3.93. Also Funny Car speeds were down around 10 mph. Looks like the header rule and timing retard change have hit the Funnies a bit more then Top Fuel. The new track prep has definitely slowed the cars down.

Top Fuel didn't get any rule changes.

Hight ran 336.99, Hagan and Courtney both ran 3.82 before the track prep deal, with the new headers and ignition retard.

Track Temp was 82 In Joliet during Friday Night qualifying, best they could run was 3.91.

I don’t give a crap what people think I’m asking a question but your to stupid and don’t seem to comprehend apparently!
And to the guys saying the lesser funded teams going rounds well who won the races?
Still DSR, JFR, Kallitta so their point is mute!
27 replies isn’t the community either idiot!

Oh Bob, don't get your panties all in a bunch! If you cannot see that the lesser funded teams are having more success going rounds, especially in Top Fuel, then you just aren't paying attention. Your (noticed how this idiot used that correctly :cool:) comment regarding DSR, Force and Kalitta winning most of the races may be true for Funny Car, but then again, they do field more than half of the Funny Cars at each event and collect more data than anyone else. Yes, that has to do with funding, but we've definitely seen some of the lesser funded teams step up even though they haven't won yet.

And by the way, the point is MOOT (there's that idiot again using things correctly) ;)

The FC's are not comparable because they had other rule changes thrown at them, so TF is really the only true comparison. With that fact stated; TF low ET was only .05 slower from this year to last in Epping with only a few races in on the new prep with less than a handful of optimal conditions for a single session. I still say it's too soon to say. 0.05 seems like nothing to me and will be overcome by the end of the season in TF I'm willing to bet.

Record E.T.s are no longer worth anything except temporary bragging rights. So, who really cares what the E.T.s are as long as the racing is close?

One of the things I always loved about the Seattle race is that my heroes (Jim Dunn, Gary Densham, etc) always had a better chance due to iffy conditions. Tell me Blake Alexander'r recent win didn't make you feel good! I think what NHRA did was one of the best things to happen in years. Here's something else I'd love to see: start clipping some downforce from the cars. I'm not talking about yanking wings off top fuel cars. I'm thinking that dropping the wings an inch this season, narrowing them an inch next season ans so on, will gradually cut speeds without piling too much of a burden on the teams. They can pile all the HP into an engine they want but without the downforce at least it'll keep the gap between the "haves" and " Have nots" from growing too quickly. Just my opinion...

the only fact is;

based on history EVERY time they try to slow down a motorsport they wind up going faster.
well that begs the question, what would they be running without the rule changes over the years. Of course that would also lead to how many more accidents due to out performing equipment, tracks and such

Changing track prep was a solid first step, but I still will be surprised if GoodYear doesn't come out with a tire that helps to limit MPH (at a limited engine RPM) ... If they are worried about MPH and they are happy with these results, they must only want 90% of the cars to go slower (and much of the time that is due to runs where tire control was lost). That will make total HP less of a factor and it will be more of a tuner's/driver's race. Right now it is a bit of a guessing game of how the real sticky tire is going to interact with the not as sticky track .... I think both need to step down a notch to restart a new era of records in a safer environment (small tire nitro .... you heard it hear first! hahaha!)

Changing track prep was a solid first step, but I still will be surprised if GoodYear doesn't come out with a tire that helps to limit MPH (at a limited engine RPM) ... If they are worried about MPH and they are happy with these results, they must only want 90% of the cars to go slower (and much of the time that is due to runs where tire control was lost). That will make total HP less of a factor and it will be more of a tuner's/driver's race. Right now it is a bit of a guessing game of how the real sticky tire is going to interact with the not as sticky track .... I think both need to step down a notch to restart a new era of records in a safer environment (small tire nitro .... you heard it hear first! hahaha!)

I like it! How about small tire no prep and only the win light comes on the scoreboard during eliminations.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back