The Silver Suited Gladiator Got Hot! (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
The silver suited looking gladiator had that GOAT in the right lane, it was a summer night under those awesome lights. He was all suited up sans gloves, he walked up to the car, opened the door and slipped in this left hand drive thing of beauty. He buckled in, put his ultra cool goggles on top of his sweet helmet with classic Simpson style breather mask. That cool big-block got a couple of squirts of happy juice to fire up, then the magic began.

The usual packed house was ready for some action, the GTO pulled forward, did it's initial "burn thru." That awesome Northern Californian car with Goodies Speed Shop adoring the side was ready for a quarter mile pass, not this 1000 foot stuff. The striped shirt, pipe smoking cowboy hat starter looked 'em over.

The time was now for another great run down this iconic strip that lead the nation for weekly competition, at that mash of the throttle, the transmission va-voomed in a huge fireball to be in the history books as one of the greatest starting line fireballs ever captured on film. The starting line crew was quick on the draw to unload the fire extinguishers, the driver came out of the heavily smoking car that hung in the air, the starter had suggested that this driver may want to have some gloves. The discharge of the fire suppression equipment, the transmission discharge, and the heavy summer ocean air seemed to hang in the air a long time

I was standing just a few close feet from that Pontiac right at the fence with a smoking and smoldering piece of tranny right at my feet, my dad was right behind his son as we were weekly attendees at this famous strip.

That is is how it was when Lew Arrington grenaded his tranny in August of 1967 at the dang greatest drag strip of all dang time, the unequaled, best weekly drag strip of all time period....Lions Drag Strip!!!!!!!!!!!

TopFuel@Lions
The Anti Reposter..lol

Wasn't there, but remember the photos of the explosion. Car had a Pontiac engine, I think. In the 60's, if you bought a Pontiac in Canada, it would come with a chevy engine, including the Rat motor. There was a F/C that had the Rat & it said "Canadian Pontiac" on the valve covers. I thought it was a joke until I found out, yep, it WAS a Canadian Pontiac. I don't know why I remember trivia like this, but I do. Think it's coffee....

Mark,
It was not a SUGGESTION about the gloves. LOL when he got out of the car he dropped his fire suit an said OK kick my ASS.
larry sutton--- Lions Starter🤠
PS: when I made him put on gloves the silver tongue Lew called me every name in the book. Lol

Last edited:
Mark,
It was not a SUGGESTION about the gloves. LOL when he got out of the car he dropped his fire suit an said OK kick my ASS.
PS: when I made him put on gloves the silver tongue Lew called me every name in the book. Lol

Mark,
A few years ago Lew Arringtons son was working for John force saw me standing by John's car an came up to me an thanked me for saving his "dumb ass"dads life. It made my day,year, life, I will always remember that.🤧

Lew was one hell of a driver. He like many of us that drove race cars during the 60s you always thought nothing is going to happen to me but many were wrong I am sorry to say. Today in most cases the sanctioning bodys take actions to cover some drivers lack of thinking🤔
Larry Sutton---lions starter

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back