Silver Gladiator-The Door-The Goat-The Big Boom! (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
The dark summer sky was in full effect, the driver, looking like a gladiator in a silver suit walked to the left side of that very cool orange GTO. He opened the door on the Funny Car, got in and got ready for a run. There were more than 16 of em' in this round-robin Southern Style Match Race. The driver form Cupertino, California fired up that ride in the right lane. I was standing against the fence in the right lane, where I should not have been. Just came back with some food. The silver-suited gladiator staged the car and upon hitting the loud pedal, the tranny let go in a huge explosion and fireball. Larry Sutton was on it and with the stillness of the summer night, the haze of the fire extinguishers hung in the air for some time. I looked down at my feet as I felt something whack the wood at me feet, there was a chunk of smoking hot tranny debris.

My dad was none to happy I stood there next to the NO STANDING sign.

This was the famous kaboom of Lew Arrington's Brutus GTO at Lions Drag Strip in 67.

Some of the S/XS cars that were booked in.
Doug's Headers-Roger Wolford
Butch Leal-Larry Coleman
Holeman&Moody-The Green Seen
Pisano Bros.-Vicious Vette
The New Breed-Charlie Allen
The Hairy Canary-'Rapid" Ronnie Runyon
Studio Dodge-Quarter Bender
Brutus GTO-Mr. Pickett

All this for $2.00 admission.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

I was at the late Speedworld in Phoenix, probably late 1980's, for a AA/FA race. One car was Ford powered and "woofed the blower" on the starting line. Piece of the blower landed by my feet. I grabbed it & still have it today. Was at OCIR one time and standing at the top end, next to the ambulance. Dragster makes a pass and I hear "thunk thunk" next to me. Engine had thrown some rods out & the pieces hit the ambulance. Yes I moved to another location. heh

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back