The official 2011 Daytona 500 Thread (1 Viewer)

DrRocket

Nitro Member
206 mph.

I knew the new surface was going to make the cars faster. So did everyone else including the crew chiefs. NASCAR has already changed the rules to limit coolant openings. They also added a pressure pop off valve.They want to limit the number of laps two cars can stay hooked up before having to back off to cool the motors down.

The Bud Shootout was different from anything ever seen before. I guess the powers that be in NASCAR didn't like the looks of it. The ARCA race was follow the leader with no passing. Not a great way to start Daytona Speedweeks. Steve Kinser had a pretty good start to his season in WoO down in Florida. I'd still pay for WoO tickets, not so much for NASCAR these days. It will be interesting to see what happens Thursday and then how NASCAR reacts if they still don't like what they see.

NASCAR has demonstrated in the past that they will change the rules in a heartbeat if they think things are getting too fast. I would not be surprised if they make the teams switch to smaller restrictor plates for Sunday if the cars are too fast on Thursday.

not suprised one bit.... i figure the insurance company was on the phone as soon as the first car topped over 200 mph

Jr crashed his pole care and now will have to start at the back, in his back up car.

Jr crashed his pole care and now will have to start at the back, in his back up car.

One of the only tracks starting position means nothing. How many times times have we seen drivers fade to the back to avoid wrecks only to charge to the front the last 10 laps?

One of the only tracks starting position means nothing. How many times times have we seen drivers fade to the back to avoid wrecks only to charge to the front the last 10 laps?

As long as you stay on the lead lap, or remain the first one a lap back (Lucky Dog) than you've got as good a shot at winning on this track as anyone as long as your car is healthy.

and Waltrip wins the truck race as half of his spoiler collapsed on the last lap. It was a great finish, I just hope post race inspection doesn't show anything funny.

and Waltrip wins the truck race as half of his spoiler collapsed on the last lap. It was a great finish, I just hope post race inspection doesn't show anything funny.

One of the few truck races I've watched from start to finish. (watched to see how Johanna Long did, seen her race at Pensacola and Mobile) There will have to be a fine and a points penalty unless it is the result of contact with another truck but NASCAR NEVER takes away the win. Watching in HD and slo-mo I couldn't tell when it actually happened. It seemed to be intact when the last "big one" happened.

Is that true? If you are the first car that is one lap down you can get back on the lead lap after a yellow flag?

I only casually follow NASCAR so that seems interesting as a rule.

NASCAR used to line up cars double file after a caution. Lapped cars had one lane, lead lap cars had the other. The first car one lap down started right next to the leader (except the last ten laps of a race). The lapped cars now have to start at the rear of the lead lap cars after cautions regardless of where they were in the running order on the track so there is little chance for any of them to race their way to getting a lap back without the lucky dog rule.

pretty boring racing so far! The Daytona 500 party starts at 10am sunday. Bring you choice of drink. We have the food!:D

That was one hell of a race today and seeing a surprise winner makes it even better.

That was one hell of a race today and seeing a surprise winner makes it even better.

Seeing the surprise winner made it tolerable. Great to see the Wood Brothers back in victory lane. First in points....Carl Edwards? Bayne has checked Nationwide series for his championship since he doesn't have a full time ride in cup.

OVer all a normal Daytona race.. had is exciting and boreing moments.. but a great finsih as usual.... great for Trevor an the Woods.. Leonard is one of the greatest guys you cna ever get to talk to... I be Micheal Waltrip is regreting letting The kid out of his contract now....

nascar purposely flattened rear bumpers and front grills to allow safe
bumping without 'lifting rear end from front wedge' effect causing spinout.
nascar should be the last group surprised by the 2x2 trains.

not sure if i care for the 2x2 - listening to drivers talk about being the pusher;
they can not see what's happening directly in front of the car they are pushing;
seems like a lot of unnecessary accidents caused by this form of racing.
saw this more than once yesterday - car behind pushing rite into someone
else who was slowing.

the cars are too slippery and have been for years; there is too much advantage
running together to ever expect single car racing on superspeedways again.

nascar does have an advantage with the superspeedway races in that anyone can win and sometimes the underdog walks away champion.
i remember derek cope many years ago - trevor baynes yesterday;
exciting to see him and the 21 team win; actually watched post race show.

As one driver said, this is supposed to be an individual sport and with the type of racing you have here, there is no choice other than to rely on another driver at all times.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back