The Future? (1 Viewer)

They should just come and stand on the side of any major freeway in Southern California and they can see all of the high speed crashes they can handle.:)

Throw a few distractions like someone changing a flat tire or someone broke down with their hood up, All while their face is buried in a conversation with their smart phone.

Sorta like a .001 green light is oftentimes a "failed red light" in a nitro car, a run at the limit of the available track conditions is "a failure to wreck" ... at a "no prep" race like Armand was referring to I think a good percentage of the people go to see something very close to a wreck.

How absurd. Have you ever actually met anyone that went to a drag race to see crashes?
Sad but true, yes I have. They stand there and take pictures of the wrecked car so they can tell their friends. Don't even worry about the racing going on. I have had NASCAR friends tell me "good race but no bad crashes".

Everyone has the right to an opinion but there are some uninformed ones here regarding no-prep racing.

For starters, the kids that are packing drag strips are not attending to see people crash. That's what YouTube is for. They are attending these races for all the reasons other areas of the sport would KILL FOR. The drivers have names, the cars have names. Birdman, Swamp Thing, Shocker, Death Trap, Grim Reaper, White Rhino, and the list literally goes on halfway until forever.
The drivers talk all kinds of smack on each other both in person and on social media. There are memes, videos, jokes, and jawing constantly whether there's a race that weekend or not. The stuff is genuine chops busting greatness, not something contrived.

As far as the wrecks go, there is no proof to this point on a "pound for pound" basis that there are more crashes or worse crashes happening at no prep events than at traditional races. There are videos galore on both sides of that argument. The other thing is that just because you do not see a sprayer or tractor running up and down the track does not mean that there is no "prep". Unless we are talking a bare concrete race (of which there have been some), you still have a track that comes around very quickly. Why? Guys are allowed to use their own traction compound, pimp juice, whatever in a designed area and as each pair goes down, more and more of it applies itself to the track. Knowing guys who run this type of stuff I can tell you point of fact that they are able to hit the tire nearly as hard at the end of an event as they can on a dressed up and prepped track.

Lastly, no-prep racing has proven a few very important points about drag racing to anyone who is actively paying attention to it. Firstly, these races are run with the clocks off and a win light only. No scoreboards, no elapsed time, no numbers. Why is that important? People are there rooting for drivers and named cars, not for records or blazing performances. I am NOT saying that there's a problem with that in any way shape or form, but it is an incredible message that's coming from the no-prep scene that the entire sport should be paying attention to.

I'm a bit of a heretic when it comes to drag racing. I love every weird inch of this sport. From diesel trucks to Radial vs TheWorld, nitro funny car, and Wednesday night test and tune. I get to see a spectrum of it every year that few people do. I get having a favorite thing and a favorite form of this sport, but to dismiss a rising one as something which should be mocked or ignored is foolhardy on a lot of levels.

Basically you do not have to love it but you should respect it.

Brian

Everyone has the right to an opinion but there are some uninformed ones here regarding no-prep racing.

For starters, the kids that are packing drag strips are not attending to see people crash. That's what YouTube is for. They are attending these races for all the reasons other areas of the sport would KILL FOR. The drivers have names, the cars have names. Birdman, Swamp Thing, Shocker, Death Trap, Grim Reaper, White Rhino, and the list literally goes on halfway until forever.
The drivers talk all kinds of smack on each other both in person and on social media. There are memes, videos, jokes, and jawing constantly whether there's a race that weekend or not. The stuff is genuine chops busting greatness, not something contrived.

As far as the wrecks go, there is no proof to this point on a "pound for pound" basis that there are more crashes or worse crashes happening at no prep events than at traditional races. There are videos galore on both sides of that argument. The other thing is that just because you do not see a sprayer or tractor running up and down the track does not mean that there is no "prep". Unless we are talking a bare concrete race (of which there have been some), you still have a track that comes around very quickly. Why? Guys are allowed to use their own traction compound, pimp juice, whatever in a designed area and as each pair goes down, more and more of it applies itself to the track. Knowing guys who run this type of stuff I can tell you point of fact that they are able to hit the tire nearly as hard at the end of an event as they can on a dressed up and prepped track.

Lastly, no-prep racing has proven a few very important points about drag racing to anyone who is actively paying attention to it. Firstly, these races are run with the clocks off and a win light only. No scoreboards, no elapsed time, no numbers. Why is that important? People are there rooting for drivers and named cars, not for records or blazing performances. I am NOT saying that there's a problem with that in any way shape or form, but it is an incredible message that's coming from the no-prep scene that the entire sport should be paying attention to.

I'm a bit of a heretic when it comes to drag racing. I love every weird inch of this sport. From diesel trucks to Radial vs TheWorld, nitro funny car, and Wednesday night test and tune. I get to see a spectrum of it every year that few people do. I get having a favorite thing and a favorite form of this sport, but to dismiss a rising one as something which should be mocked or ignored is foolhardy on a lot of levels.

Basically you do not have to love it but you should respect it.

Brian

Mr Lohnes, this is the mindset NHRA needed about 15 or more years ago. And correct me if i'm wrong but they are not always running 1320 either and you hear nobody whining. Great post!

Wayne, outside of quite literally a couple of events, all radial racing is done on the eighth mile and every no prep race I know of is run on the eighth mile as well.

They are attending these races for all the reasons other areas of the sport would KILL FOR. The drivers have names, the cars have names. Birdman, Swamp Thing, Shocker, Death Trap, Grim Reaper, White Rhino, and the list literally goes on halfway until forever.
Brian

Brian, great post, I also said the same thing last year about how the names do bring people to the track. Just like when I was a kid and if the track said Shirley or Big was coming, I had to be there.
When we have a race around here if any of these guys show up, the track is packed( I bet our track operator wish he could get that kind of attendance for a Divisional). I think that type of racing is saving a lot of tracks or at least have them making money. If Kye Kelly says on Facebook he is testing at our local track on a Wednesday night, the track gets a great attendance and he sells a ton of tee shirts. I myself like that type of racing but only if the track is prepped. I don't like to see a lot of aborted runs or crashes. As for as some fans(if you want to call them that) wanting to see crashes, well we do live in a sick world and I am sorry if my comment offend some.
I also love to see the trash talking. Saw some guys go back and forth for almost a hour trying to get a race that never happened, the crowd loved it.

I also love to see the trash talking. Saw some guys go back and forth for almost a hour trying to get a race that never happened, the crowd loved it.

"Trash talking" is one of the things of "modern" sports, be it a stick and ball, or motor sport, or our current modern culture for that matter, that absolutely drives me nuts.

I can't stand it and I simply fail to understand why others find it so entertaining.

Either put up, or STF up!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back