AZ Nationals Future? (1 Viewer)

mltdwn12

Nitro Member
So this time every year Ron Capps joins 98 Rocks John Holmberg for an hour or two. Always funny 👍 today Capps and Holmberg were talking about the future of drag racing in AZ. One mentioned a rumor of a new track in Casa Grande the other mentioned the NHRA being back at Wild Horse next year. Any details on the rumors? I left AZ 5 years ago but prior to leaving I had been to just about every national event at Firebird/WH. I’d love to make another trip back for a race in the future!

Lohnes said there is a chance the strip will stay. The road course is staying per him. The tribe will decide. It will all come down to $$$

The rumor I have heard for the past month is that it is going to cost multiple tens of millions of dollars to "clean up" the land and make it environmentally suitable for development. Probably 98% of the cost would be emptying the lake because not only would they have to find a way to dispose of pretty toxic water but who knows how many feet they would have to dig just to find clean soil and then fill it all in. Supposedly the tribe is suppose to vote on it sometime this summer whether to go ahead with the costs of doing it or keeping the track as is. Another rumor is that if the track does end up staying the Radford Racing School (formerly Bondurant) will take over the facility and lease it from the tribe.

Btw it is pretty crazy that not only are reserved seats all sold out tomorrow and Sunday but all general admission tickets are sold for tomorrow. It is going to be insane out here tomorrow.

Thanks for all the updates 👍 I moved to north Georgia 2 years ago and figured I’d get my NHRA nationals fix at Atlanta Dragway, and we all know how that went 😩 I guess the next closest nationals would be Charlotte or Gainesville.

I was looking at the tower Friday. It's now painted black & looks kinda ugly. No signage on the tower. Of course, I started thinking why did they do that? heh Also noticed that the top end grand stands on pit side are gone. I saw that at the Div 7 race a month ago. Also heard the rumor that Radford had signed a 5 year lease with the tribe. Alan was saying that there will be more events this year, so the track won't shut down. I think Zed is right on the $$ with all this.

i wonder if federal EPA laws supersede sovereign land laws? i would think they'd put a pump in the lake and water all the cactus if they could, then just fill in the lake.
pretty funny if in fact environmental law ends up playing a part in an automotive racetrack staying open.

i wonder if federal EPA laws supersede sovereign land laws? i would think they'd put a pump in the lake and water all the cactus if they could, then just fill in the lake.
pretty funny if in fact environmental law ends up playing a part in an automotive racetrack staying open.
I put your question in to a Google search and here is what I found.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back