The Future? (1 Viewer)

One type of event that is popular for some strange reason are the "no prep" races. Can someone explain to me why these are so popular? As a fan, I hate to see nice cars getting damaged in wrecks that would have been avoided if only the track was prepped. As a racer, why would you bring your car to an event that you know has a high chance of crashing? If I was the latter no amount of cash purse would be enough to make me race at a no prep.

One type of event that is popular for some strange reason are the "no prep" races. Can someone explain to me why these are so popular? As a fan, I hate to see nice cars getting damaged in wrecks that would have been avoided if only the track was prepped. As a racer, why would you bring your car to an event that you know has a high chance of crashing? If I was the latter no amount of cash purse would be enough to make me race at a no prep.
They're popular because the "no prep" evens the field. It's no longer about who has the deepest pockets but who has the better set up to negotiate the track. It's much closer to street racing. Plus a lot of side bets and rivalries to spice it up. I've never done it but I'd love to go to one.

I did a lot of drag racing but never on a prep track but maybe the inagural Texas race in 86. Not sure if they were prepping at that time.

Most Kids today need instant gratification, a day of drag racing has to much down time. How do you "fix" it, I have no idea.

Interesting conversation. Based on what I'm reading the consensus is that drag racing in general will survive, and maybe even thrive, but the Professional show will continue to be about the same - give or take. I tend to agree.

I will comment on the "no prep" races. They may be popular elsewhere but the one they held at MDIR a few years ago was an absolute dud - and I do mean DUD!! And no prep is not completely accurate either. No, the track operators don't make the track as tacky as racers are accustomed too but they still have a responsibility to provide a safe venue to race - meaning, liquid on the track is a no no. And when there's liquid on the track, what do you do? Clean it up, thus providing a small measure of "prep". And if you think you have nothing but quality built, leak free race cars showing up at a no prep event you're kidding yourself. I wouldn't pay to watch nor race in one myself.

Yes drag racing will survive and even thrive. There are many tracks out there that do not operate under the umbrella of NHRA or IHRA. Case in point, Willow Springs in NE Los Angeles County: http://willowspringsraceway.com/page.php?id=53

When I go to Malaysia on business we pass the F1 race track and on the marquee it states "Drags every 3rd Saturday of the month." Additionally, I have seen videos and read article about drag racing in Aruba, Malta, Iraq, Brazil, Thailand and many more countries. They even open a race track outside of Saigon. Think these guys take their racing serious?

Regarding the national events, I could go the a Dodger's baseball game and have a good time. I could also play softball with friends in a local park league. Which do you think would be more fulfilling and garner longer lasting memories?

Yes, the Willow Springs drag racing is pure fun. It is so very laid back. $15.00 to race your car. I can go up there and make 3 passes after work before heading home. I went to a "test and tune" at Famosa, cost $50.00, waited in line four hours and got one pass. Try and introduce a newby to that.

Willow is just grudge running. No classes and no purse. They do have a buy in bracket race later in the evening. My wife and I had a 2 out of 3 match race one evening. I wrote a piece for the announcer and he really built it up. Her in her CTS-V, me in my Grand Sport C6. She got me two straight. Crowd loved it.

We did two all motorcycle events with them last year. Kind of a bike night/ drag race. Many that came for bike night wond up racing. I would say that 90% of them had never drag raced their motorcycles before. Most cam back for the second event.

I stopped paying attention to drag racing when watching became unbearable. Why unbearable? I struggled to watch it knowing I wanted to be on the track racing. Even crewing didn't satisfy me. I wanted my own deal.

For me it was stop watching it or go crazy. My lack of disposable income does not allow me to take part in many hobby activities.

For me watching was stressful. Now I just pay little attention to it and no stress.

When my disposable income improves I'll look into again.

Yes, the Willow Springs drag racing is pure fun. It is so very laid back. $15.00 to race your car. I can go up there and make 3 passes after work before heading home. I went to a "test and tune" at Famosa, cost $50.00, waited in line four hours and got one pass. Try and introduce a newby to that.

Willow is just grudge running. No classes and no purse. They do have a buy in bracket race later in the evening. My wife and I had a 2 out of 3 match race one evening. I wrote a piece for the announcer and he really built it up. Her in her CTS-V, me in my Grand Sport C6. She got me two straight. Crowd loved it.

We did two all motorcycle events with them last year. Kind of a bike night/ drag race. Many that came for bike night wond up racing. I would say that 90% of them had never drag raced their motorcycles before. Most cam back for the second event.

At the shop we're putting together a '34 5-Window Ford, 50's hot rod style with a tri-power Olds and we want to run it a places like Eagle Field and Kingdom Dragway. Do you think the Willow Springs people would have a problem with us bring a car out like that once in a while?

Guess what , if he stops the hemorrhaging of jobs over seas and reverses the trend it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where discretionary income goes .

When the top Labor Leaders go to a Republican President Elect and say they would like to help reform some of the more odorous trade deals like NAFTA I'd say that's a positive trend .
I still remember The other Little Texan Ross Perot talking about our sorry trade deals . Quote : You will hear a giant sucking sound of jobs going overseas .
My view is we have never been well served by Lawyers who don't have a clue running a fifteen Trillion Dollar Business called the US Economy .
Since when did Ambulance Chasers become medical experts either , or Insurance , or Farming and Ranching . That's my opinion Lawyers are good at arguing and writing laws but don't have a clue how a widgets made or sold .

I have a saying about the future of Drag Racing . Kids can't hardly work on cars these days like we did always interchanging parts and improving but we can all take a kid to the drag races that memory will stay with them the rest of their life .
The Future is the Kids .

I have a place on St.Croix USVI and they have an 1/8 mile"track" on the island. Run what you brung format, kind like Street Outlaws.
There are actually some pretty quick cars. Couple of videos Youtube.

At the shop we're putting together a '34 5-Window Ford, 50's hot rod style with a tri-power Olds and we want to run it a places like Eagle Field and Kingdom Dragway. Do you think the Willow Springs people would have a problem with us bring a car out like that once in a while?
No problem. Some guys come out to every event with a small block self starting front engine dragster. It is not real fast, but as long as it can make the turn into turn 1 it is OK. Quickest thing out there was a built Nissan GTR, but of course it has the world's best brakes too.

When we did the bike events we cut it back to 1/8th mile just to be sure the pro street bikes could stop.

I think this is true. Look how hard SEMA had to work to keep Obama's EPA at bay. If SEMA hadn't been around the EPA would have made it illegal to change a muffler clamp on your car.

Now that I'm old I can say this. This discussion has been going on for decades. Racing seems to go through cyclical periods. Hot one year, cold the next. But the misconception here is that many think the health of drag racing is entirely based on "How many cars or how many people are coming to the national events?" There are only 24 national events. And those are geared toward the few who chose to run them and/or chase points, or the few that chose to go watch. It costs a fortune to attend them because the local hotels and everyone else bends the racers and fans over when racing is in town. I think NASCAR is feeling it worse than NHRA. There are tracks that are actually bulldozing grand stands because the optics of a complete section of empty grandstands covered by football field size tarps looks bad. It's happening at Daytona, Richmond and Dover. They are calling it "Right-Sizing" of facilities.

Just remember this. Every weekend there are races all across the country. There are more niche organizations now more than ever. I can build a 6 second altered and find a 6 second altered group to run with. I can build a nitro funny car and find a group of nitro funny cars to race with. Look how crowded Bakersfield is when they run. I can race a pro mod car on the west coast and find a pro mod association to run with. But these groups don't get the coverage the big show does. Unless you follow them you don't even know they exist. And no track is going to survive on one national event per year. They rely on the weekly racers and niche organizations like these to keep the gates open.

Back when I was bracket racing at OCIR and Irwindale we, as racers, were not race fans so we avoided national events. We would race the weekend before and the weekend after, and we might show up for one qualifying day at the big show but that was it. We weren't that interested in the crowds and standing around watching because we were more interested in our own stuff.

Bottom line is, even if the big show folded drag racing would still survive and the companies that provide products and services would still survive. Few manufacturers rely on 17 TF cars and 19 funny cars to stay in business. It's the thousands of independent racers that buy parts through places like Jegs and Summit that keeps them alive.

As far as the cost of attending, I remember at the 79 U.S. Nationals, talking to Steve Condit in the hotel lobby, that they used to get a racer discount for accommodations, but now pay a premium, just like Randy is referring to here.

As far as the cost of attending, I remember at the 79 U.S. Nationals, talking to Steve Condit in the hotel lobby, that they used to get a racer discount for accommodations, but now pay a premium, just like Randy is referring to here.

Back in 1996 when I raced in Ennis it was kind of a last minute decision to make the trip. I ended up getting hotel rooms in Fort Worth because nothing was available. Probably because there were 20 rodeos in town or something that weekend. Anyway, I showed up on Wednesday to park and found a fleabag total dump of a hotel near the Motorplex and it was $39 a night. I thought "We'll this is a lot closer than driving all the way north," so I asked the guy if he had any rooms through the weekend. He said he sold out the weekend of the race last year with people reserving their rooms for this year as they were checking out. I said "Yea, at $39 a night I guess so." He said it's not $39 a night beginning Thursday night because he triples his rates with the racers in town and they'll pay whatever for rooms. That was 21 years ago and yes, it was a total dump 50 year total cockroach ridden hotel.

Back in 1996 when I raced in Ennis it was kind of a last minute decision to make the trip. I ended up getting hotel rooms in Fort Worth because nothing was available. Probably because there were 20 rodeos in town or something that weekend. Anyway, I showed up on Wednesday to park and found a fleabag total dump of a hotel near the Motorplex and it was $39 a night. I thought "We'll this is a lot closer than driving all the way north," so I asked the guy if he had any rooms through the weekend. He said he sold out the weekend of the race last year with people reserving their rooms for this year as they were checking out. I said "Yea, at $39 a night I guess so." He said it's not $39 a night beginning Thursday night because he triples his rates with the racers in town and they'll pay whatever for rooms. That was 21 years ago and yes, it was a total dump 50 year total cockroach ridden hotel.
Billy should have built some hotels on the property.

It was probably "in" Waxahachie. Probably the same place or damn close to the same as I stayed in with Densham about that same time. As soon as we checked in, I jumped in the rental car and found the local K-Mart, bought every roach motel they had. Passed them out to all of the guys.

My fondest memory of that was having to wake the owner up at 7:00 am on Sunday so we could check out. He was annoyed that we had woken him up. Middle eastern guy but his name was something like Ricky or Stevie...good times.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back