The future of drag racing looks bright (1 Viewer)

Te
Um, the throttle pedal is NOT an on/off switch. There are varying degrees of pedal position.

Drivers know that, marketing schemed "drivers" do not.

I'm willing to bet most Sub 8 sec. Drivers would much rather run on tracks they don't have to peddle all the way down the track.

^^^ And your point being what Lance? That this never happens at a prepped track?

Drivers run out of talent on even the best tracks. Goes back to my statement about learning when to lift and when to stay off the brakes / over correct. Drivers gotta drive and not just hang on.

I thought the interesting thing in the video was that the scoreboards are off. If you have a fast street car and don't want it to be known just how fast it is, that's the time to run it.

If the Outlaws or anyone else went to a track promoter and said we want to come in and run with no prep and no scoreboards I can't think of anyone who would turn them down. After the sentence handed down in the Chatsworth case, does anybody still think it's not worth the trouble to go to the track? Remember the guy who didn't wreck still got a year in jail and got his car destroyed.

I don't know for sure that they still do it, but Houston Raceway Park used to hold regular events with minimal prep, instant green start and no scoreboards. And I know other tracks that have a similar deal. If I wanted to race my buddy for fun or for 5K that would be the place to do it.

And Bill is exactly right, the ability to hold the pedal to the floor doesn't make you a driver, there's WAY more to it than that as so many people learn the hard way.

As always, this is just my opinion, I'm not speaking for anyone else.

Alan

"Younger crowd" my ass. I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a fuel car run anymore, but these twin turbo'd, double throw-down door cars are super bitchin' and exciting to watch as opposed to what the nitro classes have become.

I would walk across the street to watch a fuel race but I would have to ask "What are you guys doing in my pasture?" :)

^^^ And your point being what Lance? That this never happens at a prepped track?

Drivers run out of talent on even the best tracks. Goes back to my statement about learning when to lift and when to stay off the brakes / over correct. Drivers gotta drive and not just hang on.
I dunno, but it makes about as much sense as this does. Build a high performance car, then take it to a skating rink, and that somehow proves something? To each their own, I'll stick with watching the Big Show.

I dunno, but it makes about as much sense as this does. Build a high performance car, then take it to a skating rink, and that somehow proves something? To each their own, I'll stick with watching the Big Show.

Lance, without knowing it, you just proved my point exactly!!

Given the conditions, the driver in the video you posted, used his right foot and steering wheel to the best of his ability to get his race car down the race track, which he did successfully, GIVEN THE TRACK'S CONDITION. When it got a little sideways, he lifted, corrected, and then gave it as much throttle as he figured it would hold. He or she executed that run perfectly in my opinion.

As a side note; I've seen that numerous times, and my favorite part of the whole thing is after he prestages, he actually puts it on the high side as if it were a regular run! That is text book in driver consistency and focus. Kudos to that DRIVER.

Lance, without knowing it, you just proved my point exactly!!

Given the conditions, the driver in the video you posted, used his right foot and steering wheel to the best of his ability to get his race car down the race track, which he did successfully, GIVEN THE TRACK'S CONDITION. When it got a little sideways, he lifted, corrected, and then gave it as much throttle as he figured it would hold. He or she executed that run perfectly in my opinion.

As a side note; I've seen that numerous times, and my favorite part of the whole thing is after he prestages, he actually puts it on the high side as if it were a regular run! That is text book in driver consistency and focus. Kudos to that DRIVER.
I agree with everything you posted. My original point is why build a six second car and take it to a track that won't even hold a ten second pass? I don't see that as racing.

Not sure I am reading the correct thread here which I thought was on the "Bright Future of Drag Racing"

Maybe we should all agree to disagree on the future of drag racing instead.

I do see a bright future for drag racing just not in it's present form. Peoples interests are changing and that leads us in different directions.

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

I agree with Jim that what we are seeing today is not what we will be seeing in a few years. Just like todays race looks nothing like the races of days gone past. One of these days Joe will be just like some of us geezers he's so quick to pick on, bragging about how great it was and how we should go back to todays format and cars.

They just had a no prep race in Ft Worth Jan 2 under minimal conditions like high of 53 degrees . Big money race brought in a lot of cars and filled the house pretty much sold out . It was a huge draw more than the monthly promod races .
They had streetable race cars that made a 30 mile drive in convoy and the Big Tire and Small Tire outlaw cars . I serious wreck and another pretty bad wreck no one hurt . I could not believe a race this huge that had such a draw happened in the middle of winter . Many drivers wished they could have made the tow . It's real and it's big . Next is S A track in March .
I love all drag racing but things were looking grim with car counts down and tracks closing but No Prep big money races seem to be a big ticket for the fans and the smaller tracks . The big Tire cars are super fast and they have doors . Most are real cars .
I am against street racing even closed street when they have curbs which act to trip a car loosing traction and sliding sideways .
Roll over are very bad these tracks can be scraped to get rid of loose rubber and prevent water retention . It takes some super tuning to get a high H P car down a simi slick track . The racers like cement which is consistent surface .

They just had a no prep race in Ft Worth Jan 2 under minimal conditions like high of 53 degrees . Big money race brought in a lot of cars and filled the house pretty much sold out . It was a huge draw more than the monthly promod races .
They had streetable race cars that made a 30 mile drive in convoy and the Big Tire and Small Tire outlaw cars . I serious wreck and another pretty bad wreck no one hurt . I could not believe a race this huge that had such a draw happened in the middle of winter . Many drivers wished they could have made the tow . It's real and it's big . Next is S A track in March .
I love all drag racing but things were looking grim with car counts down and tracks closing but No Prep big money races seem to be a big ticket for the fans and the smaller tracks . The big Tire cars are super fast and they have doors . Most are real cars .
I am against street racing even closed street when they have curbs which act to trip a car loosing traction and sliding sideways .
Roll over are very bad these tracks can be scraped to get rid of loose rubber and prevent water retention . It takes some super tuning to get a high H P car down a simi slick track . The racers like cement which is consistent surface .
What track in Fort Worth ?

This like probably 2000 other threads in here always drift towards how do we make Drag racing as Popular as NASCAR!

Joe Sherwood you wrote the following. This like probably 2000 other threads in here always drift towards how do we make Drag racing as Popular as NASCAR!

Joe I don't know how closely you follow NASCAR but Richmond put out a statement saying they were removing all of the seats on the back straightaway does that sound to you like they are packing fans in?

Many of the NASCAR tracks around the country have done the exact same thing with some saying the reason they are doing it is because they want to put in Jumbo Screens for the fans.
Do you really believe that's why they are removing seats? Maybe cutting the ticket prices just might have put more people in those empty seats.

NASCAR is facing similar problems that many racing associations are facing which is fewer fans and spectators, sponsors and racers.

NASCAR has decided to have 36 Charter Member Teams which will be guaranteed starting positions in every race and there will only be a 40 car field.

That leaves four slots for other teams to try and qualify for.

NASCAR thinking was that by guarantying the 36 teams starting positions it would make it easier to keep sponsors happy and that teams would not have to explain to sponsors why they did not make the race. I think it really makes the 36 teams more valuable to potential buyers and investors with idea you are locked into each race.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

There was an article in Drags Illustrated about gurge racing, stating some of these smaller tracks that cater to this new breed racing, have had to close the gates while there was still a 1/2 mile long line of people trying to get in.
Nothing wrong with small tracks filling the stands, but 1,500 inside with 500 outside wanting in is not "the future of drag racing". It is niche marketing for small tracks.

When was the last time a track holding a divisional had to lock spectators out.
Norwalk. within this decade.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back