The future of drag racing looks bright (1 Viewer)

Just going to be quite different that what we have been used to.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1509-no-prep-drag-racing-is-it-the-next-big-thing/

I'll have to pass, it's a big deal around here and I've went to watch them...a ton of aborted passes and even more that should have been leading to busted stuff all over the track. I can't image it lasting long, nobody can afford to wreck their car repeatedly and I've yet to go to a event where a large number of cars didn't wreck...to much watching street outlaws and too little driving skill.

...a ton of aborted passes and even more that should have been leading to busted stuff all over the track.
Sounds like a bunch of early Pro Mod races I attended. Patched together bodies and welded up frames abounded "back in the day" (which really wasn't that long ago). Things somehow always seem better before they get overly organized and sorted out (unless you're one of the guys who busted out before getting successful). Wonder where this will lead down the road....

The younger crowd loves it and yes I think it is the future of drag racing. This type of racing will keep alot of smaller tracks operating. Also in this day and age of everybody wanting to see a train wreck, there's a good chance you could see a accident.
The thing I think that is cool about it is it's just like the old days with the names. Instead of Big, Jungle, Cha-Cha, Snake, etc., you have Shocker, Birdman, Chief, even a John Doe.

"Younger crowd" my ass. I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a fuel car run anymore, but these twin turbo'd, double throw-down door cars are super bitchin' and exciting to watch as opposed to what the nitro classes have become.

What Bill said. The outlaw deal at thunder Valley in Okla.was packed with overflow crowds, action was non stop and the racing was very competitive. Reminded me of the early funny cars or the even earlier fuel dragsters. They can't do that weekly but I'm thinking 2 or 3 times a year would work.

I also believe drag racing is changing in many ways from what many of us remember from the 60's and on up.

I find it interesting that while some major events are having a hard to drawing spectators, sponsors, and racers many other forms of drag racing appear to be doing much better and this is where I see the interests of the drag racers changing.

Some racers love the 60's style of Gasser shows with no electronics while other racers seem to be interested in more of a street racing version like what you see on TV.

Some drag racers love the 1/8 mile while others love the 1/4 mile. And then you have the drag racers who say 1,000" feet is 320" short of a real drag race.

Drag racing on a local level in many parts of the country seems to be doing well with their weekly shows and yet many of these drag racers don't seem even interested in moving up to Divisional events or National Events.

Drag racing will always be around but there is no question in my mind that things are changing and that's the problem of trying to keep up with the changes taking place trying to attract more racers and fans to the events.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

The problem with National Events is they occur every other weekend and they last 4 days. They need to occur half as often (or less) and last half as long. They are old hat and no longer an event. Make the local races (divisional) count for something in all classes. .Also there should be way fewer classes. JMOs

The rules are not overly complicated like the nitro cars are. You have a big tire class where one guy has a 700+ inch engine with nitrous racing against a guy with 481 inch engine with twin turbos running heads up.

There was an article in Drags Illustrated about gurge racing, stating some of these smaller tracks that cater to this new breed racing, have had to close the gates while there was still a 1/2 mile long line of people trying to get in.

When was the last time a track holding a divisional had to lock spectators out.

Maybe the big show NEEDS a little more driver input instead of the "point and shoot" that they've become. Bring back "stab it and steer it!!"

Or you can do more of this...

hand-wringing.jpg

I can't imagine anybody with a 9 sec. or quicker car running on a Non-Prepped track! Not to mention what a rash of crashes would do to Track insurance...

We ran in the 6s with no prep for years. both fuel and funny car. I seem to remember that the early 5s were on no prep tracks. Not exactly sure when they started prepping tracks but I do remember it was just the starting line and the first 100 feet or so for a few years.

We ran in the 6s with no prep for years. both fuel and funny car. I seem to remember that the early 5s were on no prep tracks. Not exactly sure when they started prepping tracks but I do remember it was just the starting line and the first 100 feet or so for a few years.

That's what I've been wondering, where, and when was the first track "glued, and dragged"?

Maybe the big show NEEDS a little more driver input instead of the "point and shoot" that they've become. Bring back "stab it and steer it!!"

Or you can do more of this...

hand-wringing.jpg

The Drivers seem to want more Prepped Tracks, complaints about Bad or under prepped tracks get more complaints then anything.

I can't imagine anybody with a 9 sec. or quicker car running on a Non-Prepped track! Not to mention what a rash of crashes would do to Track insurance...

That's what I was thinking.... No prep is fine for 10 seconds and slower. At least starting line to 60 or 100 feet out prep for faster cars.

NHRA has been courting NASCAR fans for years, and this is the fruit of it - the "rubbin' is racin'" crowd has reached critical mass :( While it may be fun to watch them skating all over and crashing, when it's your own equipment and butt out there there's nothing fun - nor safe - about it.

The Drivers seem to want more Prepped Tracks, complaints about Bad or under prepped tracks get more complaints then anything.

The big show guys. The gruge people have their own rules. You don't have a tendency to over build if you can't get it down the track.

Some of the groups will use prepped tracks, but "lights out" Boards are off, you get only 1/2 time slip and the monitors in the tower are covered.

Um, the throttle pedal is NOT an on/off switch. There are varying degrees of pedal position.

Drivers know that, marketing schemed "drivers" do not.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back