The End Nitro Drag Racing????? (1 Viewer)

This was silly then as it is now. The plain fact of the matter is McVeigh could have just as well used fuel oil, saved a lot of money and got the same explosive effect.

A lot of people see the name Nitro and think of dynamite (nitroglycerin component). The two have little to do with each other other then a somewhat common name.

Last year Angus announced that it was stopping the sale of Nitro for racing in all the world except the USA on Jan. 1,2006.
Back in the '80s when we were running the Telstar, Doc was also an Angus dealer. At that time racing sales amounted to less than seven percent of their Nitro volume. Also most Nitro is sold for use at much lower percentages, in the early '60s we would buy drums of 70/30 (67%) that was used for cleaning presses from a local printer. We paid one third the racing dealer price!
Nitro is made by mixing the propane gas and acid spray in a chamber at very high temp & pressure, not something done at home. The product has to then be distilled several times to get "pure" Nitro.
I tested many different products ,and admixtures for Angus in the late '80s. We ran an industrial product they made that was 89% nitro & 11% other chemicals. They were willing to sell it for half the price per drum of 100% because of less distilling, and large sales to industry. Plus it was more stable for shipping.
The Okie bomb had the barrels of Nitro in the middle of the truck with the plastic barrels of fuel oil & fertilizer mix around them. The bomb making instructions said to use it for more "kick".(just ask the connecting rods if it works)! ! !
We Nitro junkies were very lucky that the news media never made a big deal about the "racing fuel" in the truck , Angus could have been over it back then.
Remember Angus is owned by Dow Chemicals,Nitro racing its nothing to their total sales volume. ($42 billion) Thanks to Don & Evan we can still get our weekend "drug fix".

I remember someone telling me that Nitro was used in the dry cleaning industry. Whether this is true or no I don't know.

The plain fact of the matter is McVeigh could have just as well used fuel oil, saved a lot of money and got the same explosive effect.

It clearly had more explosive power, the WTC parking garage bomb had a similar amount of Amonium Nitrate. The WTC bomb was inside the garage and the Murrah bomb was parked on the street. Look at the pictures of both and it is obvious there is a significant differance in damage.

I am hoping that SOMEBODY in Glendora is talking , VERY FORCEFULLY, to their Official Fuel Sponsor to tell them to knock that crap off...

"The Angus Company sells an enormous amount of nitro for use in industrial and agricultural business, and sales of the chemical for drag racing represents a very small percentage of their overall sales."

Angus is the supplier to the NHRA supplier and could give a S#@T about drag racing. The best thing for the NHRA to do is cut them off now and move to the other source...

I thought evey team had to nominate 1 team member to be the contact with the suppliers of nitro at the races, and that the team member that was nominated as the contact had to go through some FBI screening or homeland security training thing? If that is the case, what's the problem with tracking the sales of every last drop of nitro in the pits? Barrel # X was sold to team Y via team member Z. Seems pretty simple to me, so that's probably why it won't work. :eek:

Last year Angus announced that it was stopping the sale of Nitro for racing in all the world except the USA on Jan. 1,2006.
Back in the '80s when we were running the Telstar, Doc was also an Angus dealer. At that time racing sales amounted to less than seven percent of their Nitro volume. Also most Nitro is sold for use at much lower percentages, in the early '60s we would buy drums of 70/30 (67%) that was used for cleaning presses from a local printer. We paid one third the racing dealer price!
Nitro is made by mixing the propane gas and acid spray in a chamber at very high temp & pressure, not something done at home. The product has to then be distilled several times to get "pure" Nitro.
I tested many different products ,and admixtures for Angus in the late '80s. We ran an industrial product they made that was 89% nitro & 11% other chemicals. They were willing to sell it for half the price per drum of 100% because of less distilling, and large sales to industry. Plus it was more stable for shipping.
The Okie bomb had the barrels of Nitro in the middle of the truck with the plastic barrels of fuel oil & fertilizer mix around them. The bomb making instructions said to use it for more "kick".(just ask the connecting rods if it works)! ! !
We Nitro junkies were very lucky that the news media never made a big deal about the "racing fuel" in the truck , Angus could have been over it back then.
Remember Angus is owned by Dow Chemicals,Nitro racing its nothing to their total sales volume. ($42 billion) Thanks to Don & Evan we can still get our weekend "drug fix".

Thanks for that explanation, Jerry.

Good stuff.

I wonder if Evan Knoll's loving this???:rolleyes:

Its sad and NO I am not loving this and shame on angus for using this as an excuse if thats what it is. I refine propane and many more chemicals from crude oil, and NITRO is not hard to do and think about it PROPANE gas at 1 gallon is = to 3.6 sticks of TNT. What is more easy to get? Propane at every station, c-store, lumber co, etc there are so many things out there that these crazy ass people can do to scare and use it is unreal. Picture a 10,000 gallon Propane tanker going down the road and it goes into a building? Now what we stop selling Propane? This is so crazy and some trying to price fix it makes me sick. Then they want to say homeland is involved hell they have been since 911 and before look around at airports as a example. If the crazy asses want to blow crap up there are alot of ways to do it. DONT BLAME NITRO ON SITUATIONS that humans can use in a plot to destroy things and lifes!!!!! PS. Nitro comes from LPG so rumors are just that we cant baby sit everone but we can all try to make sure things dont get into the wrong hands at will. Thanks Evan.

Evan, I wasn't referring to the Nitro "Scare" so to speak. I was referring to the Competition they're getting from Pro Nitro which I think prompted all this action. If Angus can't handle having competition, let 'em Bail for all I care.:rolleyes:

Evan, I wasn't referring to the Nitro "Scare" so to speak. I was referring to the Competition they're getting from Pro Nitro which I think prompted all this action. If Angus can't handle having competition, let 'em Bail for all I care.:rolleyes:

No I understand Joe I was not trying to say that negetive against you just so you know I was trying to explain a little with-out saying to much. Thanks Joe. Evan.

It clearly had more explosive power, the WTC parking garage bomb had a similar amount of Amonium Nitrate. The WTC bomb was inside the garage and the Murrah bomb was parked on the street. Look at the pictures of both and it is obvious there is a significant differance in damage.

Your comparison is faulty. The WTC blast was inside the building which was very, very strong at the bottom as it had to support the 100+ stories above it.

As has been post by Evan Knoll there are many substances which can cause a violent explosion. Singling out nitromethane is silly. Again don't get confused by the name, it is not nitroglycerin. Lets have a little more chemistry and a little less hype.

Your comparison is faulty. The WTC blast was inside the building which was very, very strong at the bottom as it had to support the 100+ stories above it.

As has been post by Evan Knoll there are many substances which can cause a violent explosion. Singling out nitromethane is silly. Again don't get confused by the name, it is not nitroglycerin. Lets have a little more chemistry and a little less hype.

I'm not singeling Nitro nor am I confused about it, my response was to a post about fuel oil being as powerfull. I'm with you and Evan on this threads content, but the statment quoted in my post is incorrect, and I responded to it.
The bomb was more powerfull, if you don't think so, your confused.

I'm not singeling Nitro nor am I confused about it, my response was to a post about fuel oil being as powerfull. I'm with you and Evan on this threads content, but the statment quoted in my post is incorrect, and I responded to it.
The bomb was more powerfull, if you don't think so, your confused.

For quite a bit less less money he could have produced the same explosion, with possibly a slightly bigger truck. The pertainent point of all this is the use of nitromethane was not a make or break factor in the explosion and thus singling it out as a really dangerous substance to sell on the open market is beyond silly.

Well, by their argument, when will they ban Boeing 747's from being produced? Or aviation fuel... since that is what caused the intense heat in the shafts of the WTC that led to the collapse of the towers?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back