Nitro Supplier (1 Viewer)

JAG

Nitro Member
I heard last year Angus/Dow wasn't going to make the nitro for racing anymore. Who supplies it now? Or is there enough already out there to run this season?

The Chinese have several Nitro plants , comes here in containers. Wego is at NHRA races & Torco is at most other places. Dow still makes it in Sterlington LA. They only will sell 55 % for racing. (RC cars) I believe Grace closed their Texas plant ?
Racing was around 10% of the Nitro volume for Angus so they didn't want to fight price wars on only 10% of the business. Nitropropare sales are greater than NM ,and it is a 60% , by volume, co-product when making a "batch".

Last edited:
Wego is the Current Authorized Supplier to NHRA Via VP Race Fuels, It comes from a China Plant. I believe that they have more than 1 plant in China.

ProNitro* is distributed via TORCO** Racing Fuels to IHRA.
ProNitro is also supplied via west Coast Distributor HP-Racing - Dale Pulde to Nostalgia, Sand Drags, Hot boats and Nitro bike markets, We have 3 authorized plants in China supplying ProNitro Nitromethane.
*Schumacher Motorsports
** Evan Knoll Gas

Dow/Angus did in fact get out of drag racing fuels in late 05/ 06, first in the European market in the early spring, then at the end of last year they announced that the US provisions would also be ceased.This was the 2nd supplier to VP for NHRA Competition

There were rumours that the cost of Nitro will/ would be going WAY-UP. ($1000-1500 drum) While it caused a great stir in the racing ranks, this never came to fruition.
While there was a ingredient cost increase, the Price to the racer was stabilized with a slight if any cost increase.

Thanks Pete for the info.
What is the 2007 price per drum for 100% and 85% premixed ?
Can it be shipped by truck ? What would be freight cost ?
Do i have to return the empty drums ?
Thanks again :)

Jerry, Sorry , we don't dilute our Fuels./ or to be politically correct, we dont offer a pre mix. You get what you got in the drum!
Our Racers are our testimonial!

Thanks Pete , I don't use any Akly to make my 93% mix for Cacklefest, So pure 100 is just right! :cool: I need a barrel by the end of May for Columbus . I will call Dale.
We will also need several barrels later for the "Telstar" return as a 1978 Arrow.:)

Most of the nitro used in R/C racing or hobby.. for planes, cars and boats is premixxed by two companies for them.. but several buy it by the drum and mix their own percentages...from 10% nitro up to 60%... one local company buys it fro VP and never saw a time when they couldn't get it..

i also know that some of the R/C drag racers i know buy VP Nitro in a one gallon jug and mix there own...

but no one ever saw a shortage of any kind...

Billy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back