The Canopy (1 Viewer)

You know what I worry about? In the event of a bad accident, will these canopies stay in one piece? Or will they become so much Lexan and carbon fiber shrapnel? Potentially posing considerable risk for soft tissue injury to drivers.

Doc

You know what I worry about? In the event of a bad accident, will these canopies stay in one piece? Or will they become so much Lexan and carbon fiber shrapnel? Potentially posing considerable risk for soft tissue injury to drivers.

Doc

they stay together (for the most part) when they hit the water at over 250. water is alot harder than the ground and concrete at that speed.

NICE!!

Smart move, I think, by Don to offer it to all. That way no one can claim it's a "performance enhancer."

The hydros have been using these for a while now, and I've not heard of any issues of them coming apart at the wrong time.

Will they need to run a fire bottle with this thing in place?

I'm no engineer, but having very hard bits and pieces of carbon fiber and Lexan break into shards in water is one thing. Because I'm thinking injury likelihood with hydros is mitigated by the absorptive and deflective qualities of H2O. But having the same thing happen on dry land at speeds in excess of 320 mph is, by dint of physics, a whole 'nother thing to consider.

As to fire protection, what's to say in certain scenarios that encapsulating our beloved top fuel pilots might lead to entombing them in a furnace-like space from which there's no ready escape? I'm thinking a situation where a car goes inverted similar to the accident Ant suffered in 2010 at Firebird. Fuel was everywhere. It was only blind luck it didn't ignite. Further, opening a "hatch" could be impossible in a situation like that because of proximity to the ground.

More weight for more fire bottles to account for this eventuality negates any aero advantage the enshrouding accomplished, right?

Again ... I'm spitballing here. But I'm not entirely convinced aside from some undefined aerodynamic efficiency, that closing up a top fuel cockpit is a smart or a safe move.

Would someone with a background in this (or similar) field weigh in please?

I, on no level, want my Sarge or my Grubby or my Lucas roasted, toasted or skewered.

Doc

Nothing is fool-proof, I guess one has to consider the pros & cons. The windshields being run now are very high, so it's not like there's no material in front of the driver that could become shrapnel. Seems to me having the ability to deflect debris from an accident or even from the car in the next lane is a pretty good thing. And of course, the birds :D . Getting back to the first post: Kinda cool that "Big" just turned 80, and an idea that he successfully used in competition 25-26 years ago, is making a comeback and headlines. Like the rear-engine design, he wasn't the first, but the first use it and win.

I'm no engineer, but having very hard bits and pieces of carbon fiber and Lexan break into shards in water is one thing. Because I'm thinking injury likelihood with hydros is mitigated by the absorptive and deflective qualities of H2O.
Doc

I have an engineering background... not in mechanics of materials (especially carbon fiber), but the water might be be harder on the body within the capsule. If the capsule pops off in the water, unless the capsule skims along the water, it is more likely to dig in to the water and decelerate the capsule (and body, and brain) very quickly with bad results.

On the drag strip, if the capsule stays on the track, between the concrete walls, its just going to slide down the track, eventually into the safety nets. If it hits a pole, or a barrier, or digs into the dirt, it might be another story, but the capsule idea to me seems safer in that no external pieces can fly in, and I would think that fire would remain outside the capsule so I don't understand why people think there is more of a fire hazard to the driver with this thing.

If the capsule sits in a pool of nitro, or oil that is burning, I'd still think it would be safer in the capsule, because the safety safari would be on the scene extinguishing the fire before it would burn though. An exposed driver would be more at risk. They're not like funnycars where the engine is enclosed in the capsule with them.

I have an engineering background... not in mechanics of materials (especially carbon fiber), but the water might be be harder on the body within the capsule. If the capsule pops off in the water, unless the capsule skims along the water, it is more likely to dig in to the water and decelerate the capsule (and body, and brain) very quickly with bad results.

On the drag strip, if the capsule stays on the track, between the concrete walls, its just going to slide down the track, eventually into the safety nets. If it hits a pole, or a barrier, or digs into the dirt, it might be another story, but the capsule idea to me seems safer in that no external pieces can fly in, and I would think that fire would remain outside the capsule so I don't understand why people think there is more of a fire hazard to the driver with this thing.

If the capsule sits in a pool of nitro, or oil that is burning, I'd still think it would be safer in the capsule, because the safety safari would be on the scene extinguishing the fire before it would burn though. An exposed driver would be more at risk. They're not like funnycars where the engine is enclosed in the capsule with them.

Just a note.. to my knowledge this is NOT a capsule. It's simply more body work over a normal top fuel chassis. If that thing smacks the wall at 320mph like Tony did in 2000 the whole thing will break away into oblivion and leave the bare chassis underneath it behind. It isn't designed to pop out and leave the rest of the engine/chassis to crash separately.

Just a note.. to my knowledge this is NOT a capsule. It's simply more body work over a normal top fuel chassis. If that thing smacks the wall at 320mph like Tony did in 2000 the whole thing will break away into oblivion and leave the bare chassis underneath it behind. It isn't designed to pop out and leave the rest of the engine/chassis to crash separately.

Thanks for the clarification.

Is there a reason they haven't come up with the sealed capsule yet (as the top fuel boats have)?

To quote the article: "It's the direction I think we should go: a tub from the foot box all the way behind the driver made of carbon fiber and Kevlar."

This sounds like it is a complete capsule then...?

Tony mentioned something on FB the other day about it being positive pressure so that sure sounds to me like it's a sealed capsule of some sort.

This UK pro comp car from late 1970's looked similar.

2-D-195.jpg

I always thought it looked cool.

Last edited:
Tony's words from CompetitionPlus:

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...sive-photos-let-the-2012-nitro-testing-begin-

SCHUMACHER URGES CANOPY APPROVAL - Tony Schumacher has had an opponent's car spin around and crash into his. "His nose came around and my blower belt came off or he's in my cockpit," the U.S. Army Dragster driver remembered.

Another time an opponent had a mishap, and according to Schumacher, "his mags were bouncing over my tire."

As if that weren't enough, Schumacher said, "I've hit two birds" while blasting down the dragstrip.

So a bulletproof, carbon fiber / Kevlar canopy is a truly real help from the dangerously odd and possibly lethal foreign objects that could find their way into his driver compartment. He clearly thinks this new iteration of the allowed-then-disallowed canopy over his dragster cockpit is the answer -- "It's the smartest thing you can put on a car until we figure out something smarter," he said.

So he's urging the NHRA to stop considering the canopy, or shroud, as an aerodynamic advantage and start recognizing it as a legitimate and logical safety feature for the sport's headliner class of cars.

"The capsule's not going to make me win a race. It's going to extend my life. That's what that thing's for," Schumacher said.

"A few years back, we were all uncomfortable -- when they were going to the quarter-mile still, cars were breaking in half for no apparent reason. You couldn't get in the car and not feel uncomfortable. I sit in this car," he said, pointing to his U.S. Army Dragster as assistant crew chief Neal Strausbaugh hovered over the cockpit during preseason testing at Jupiter, Fla., "and I have a level of comfort I have not had in a long time. Every driver should have that. I lost some good friends [to racing accidents] -- don't want to lose any more."

While the NHRA alleged last fall that at least one team owner presented performance-enhancing aspects of the innovative piece that cost Don Schumacher Racing a small fortune in research and development, Tony Schumacher adamantly denied the charge -- then and now.

"It [makes the car] 25 pounds heavier," Schumacher said. "We've got to do a lot of things to make the car go faster. We've added weight -- and added safety in every way."

Singling out the shroud, he said, "That is not for speed. It's not for decoration. It's for safety."

He said DSR invited all racers to come and see it and ask questions, even welcomed them to sit in the car and simulate how it would feel if it were mounted on their own race cars.

"[Connie] Kalitta wanted two right away. [Steve] Torrence wants it. [John] Force and Joe Amato came and looked at it. Everyone said this is the coolest thing out there," Schumacher said. "I don't care even if it looks ugly. The fact is I feel safer."

He said he finds it laughable that people remark that "Big Daddy" Don Garlits improvised something like that years ago. But, the seven-time champion said, "Yes. So did Darrell Gwynn. They showed up at the same race with it. But it was just a piece of Fiberglass, a piece of Plexiglas. This is a whole pod. This things comes off in one section."

He deflected criticism about fire, too.

"People say, 'What if you're on fire?' It's a high-pressure area. It's not low-pressure. Air come sup the front. you’re pushing air through it. Fire should not be able to push up inside of it. I have a three-pound fire extinguisher system in it, like the Funny Cars have. IF I'm upside down and IF I'm on fire and IF it won’t open and IF I'm knocked out and IF Safety Safari takes the weekend off and If my fire bottles don't work, I might get hot," Schumacher said.

"But guess what. There's always a way," he said.

He said the shroud isn't perfect, especially from a cosmetic standpoint. I like the look, but I don't like the fact you can't see my helmet anymore. And you can't see the look in someone's eyes before he runs," Schumacher said. "But it's not about that. It's about keeping me safe."

He emphasized that "this car goes 330 miles an hour. I put on a firesuit. I get in a roll cage and wear a seat belt -- NOT because it's the safest machine in the world but because it's a very fast race car and there's a risk. I understand that.

"I've broken cars in half, and I don't want to be on fire," Schumacher said. "But I trust in my safety equipment. It's SO much better than it used to be, and I watch Funny Car drivers climb from their fires all the time."

And he had some stern advice: "Put on the right equipment. Buckle up correctly. Wear the right devices around your neck. Wear the right helmet. And play ball. That's it. If you don't want to do this, play ping pong. Man, there are other jobs."

But it's clear that even though he realizes drag racing has its inherent dangers, he doesn't think it's too much to ask for the NHRA to allow his and other teams to protect the drivers as much as possible."

Dan Weldon was killed by what they called "intrusion" into the cockpit. (fence post). Dan Wheldon was killed when his head hit a fence post, says IndyCar - thestar.com

DSR's canopy goes a long way in preventing potentially deadly objects from entering the cockpit area.

In my opinion it's a no-brainer to want something like this, and it should be a no-brainer for NHRA to allow it and even go so far as mandate something like it after a period of time. (and further refinement)

Dale

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back