Stevie Hatfield Update & A Few Questions (1 Viewer)

the dog

Nitro Member
Stevie is doing fine and wishes to say HI to his many friends at the mater. The doctors are proposing more surgery to repair his left hip which was seriously damaged during the last 3 surgeries. He's lost 2" to the overall length of his left leg; this occurring at the ball & socket region of his hip. His orthopedic surgeon is recommending a fusion procedure due to the continued deterioration of the socket; i.e. the socket is breaking up. Stevie wants to hold off on any more surgeries as long as possible. Pain will be the determining factor here. He's on crutches and has a custom 2" shoe lift, which he's not particularly overjoyed with but needs it nonetheless. He also has one of those little 3-wheel electric scooters which he uses occasionally.

We have tentatively planned to attend Pomona (one day only, possibly Sat) in Nov, he's been invited to be an honorary crew member by Doug Herbert, and has had several invitations behind the ropes by other teams. Stevie is beginning to have second thoughts about attending. We normally have purchased our tickets via ticketmaster a couple of months early, and I've yet to see any "low" seating available. Stevie has issues with attempting to climb the stands on crutches, and also he feels that the seating will be too hard for him to tolerate. Of course I am thinking of any alternative to try and get him to go and have some fun for a day. He has virtually barricaded himself indoors since coming home from the hospital, he goes out (rarely) for a few minutes at a time to visit with his friends, and we take him for MD appts and his Physical Therapy but that's about it. He spends 12-16 hours a day playing World Of Warcraft and Counter-Strike online. He's a respected opponent in both, I might add.

So, I'm asking for ideas or suggestions as to seating at Pomona. I'm not asking for free seats - I will pay cash - but short of buying a suite for the season, what are our options? Also, I can't recall if disability scooters are allowed or not. I think they would be but I'd like to verify this in advance.

I'm trying to propose to him that we get seats in section 1 as we normally do but instead of up high (row34,35) we try and get way low as in row 1. And I come up with a cushion that will accommodate his needs. I'm thinking we can park and chain up the scooter under the stands..

Any ideas or suggestions?

Tommy, let me see what I can do for you. He needs to be in a suite. I'll make some phone calls.

I agree with Mike, but I dont have any connections in Pomona though! Good luck and hopefully he will get to come out.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I'm sorry I can't help with the question but I wanted to thank you for the update. I think many of us here have kept the little guy in our thoughts and wondered about him. I am glad he is getting better and saddened that he is still having such big issues to deal with. Must be very, very tough!!

I hope it all works out for the races and he is able to get out and really enjoy a day in the sun and away from the computer.

Again, thanks for the update for those of us who have taken him (and your whole family) to heart!!

Mike, thanks very much. I just got a msg on my cell that somebody else is also working on a suite. I tried to return the call but only could leave a voicemail. Stevie says to tell you HI and THANK YOU, you are one of the few that he can actually remember from his hospital days..

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back