The Canopy (2 Viewers)

(Based on all I've heard) Nope not approved, probably not even submitted yet (that's why they were testing it), but it sounds like the submission is not far off!

Who knows what will happen. The mono wing strut seemed like a good idea to me.

He pointed out that it makes the car 25 pounds heavier. Did he run that 76 with the canopy? Maybe everyone will want it and the weight deal wont matter. Maybe it can even find it's way in a rulebook. I'm just waiting for the approval and then have the NHRA pull it in Pomona because between the Canopy and the Shroud more air is going into the supercharger. I don't buy that. It be cool to see a Monowing back, thing is NHRA don't trust it and they barely let Garlits run his. All I know is these wings are under alot of pressure.

Yes the canopy makes the car heavier, but they can lose the weight somewhere else.

That would be like trying to extract data from a "black box"........

Truer words never spoken.

And why don't they talk to us fans like the old days? Sure a select few will peek out of their homes on wheels and come right up to the edge of their compound and hold forth for a short time.

Why did drag racing pits become so cordoned off from the fans? Were too many superchargers and wings getting filched?

And no, when I say talking, I'm not expecting anyone to give up data or secrets. CCs and drivers and owners all seem to think this is a closed game between them and their equipment and maybe occasionally a competitor.

And that's why I miss the old politically INcorrect days. Remember McCulloch's willingness to throw down? Remember Jungle's temper? Remember any number of drivers and CCs from the past who said exactly what they felt? Remember how heated a lot of exchanges were at the top end after a hard-fought race?

What happened? When did our sport turn into a pack of prancing Nancies with laptops? With drivers seemingly only able to barf out a list of sponsor names so long they run out of breath. Then going off on a love poem about the guy in the other lane who just spanked their fanny. Do drivers really like getting beat more today than yesterday?

Anyone have an opinion when (and why) drag racing lost its grit and its teeth?

Doc

In my opinion it is like a bad marriage. Didn't go bad overnight, just a little at a time and over time grew very bad. You didn't/wouldn't realize it until you took a step back and looked at it. To answer your question as to when did this happen; when the rest of the country went down the same path. For the past 25 years. Why did it? Probably because so many are concerned with "what will people think" and/or the need to support your sponsorship dollars so you will continue that business relationship.

Last edited:
Truer words never spoken.

And why don't they talk to us fans like the old days? Sure a select few will peek out of their homes on wheels and come right up to the edge of their compound and hold forth for a short time.

Why did drag racing pits become so cordoned off from the fans? Were too many superchargers and wings getting filched?

And no, when I say talking, I'm not expecting anyone to give up data or secrets. CCs and drivers and owners all seem to think this is a closed game between them and their equipment and maybe occasionally a competitor.

And that's why I miss the old politically INcorrect days. Remember McCulloch's willingness to throw down? Remember Jungle's temper? Remember any number of drivers and CCs from the past who said exactly what they felt? Remember how heated a lot of exchanges were at the top end after a hard-fought race?

What happened? When did our sport turn into a pack of prancing Nancies with laptops? With drivers seemingly only able to barf out a list of sponsor names so long they run out of breath. Then going off on a love poem about the guy in the other lane who just spanked their fanny. Do drivers really like getting beat more today than yesterday?

Anyone have an opinion when (and why) drag racing lost its grit and its teeth?

Doc
Go tell Jason McCulloch that he is a Prancing Nancy when he is standing next to his dad, and you just might get to see the Ace throw down again. "I'm just kidding, I couldn't resist.":) You are right about things changing alot over the years.

Last edited:
What happened? When did our sport turn into a pack of prancing Nancies with laptops?

Or the Oberhofers! Go call one of them a "Prancing Nancy" to their face! But let me know when you're going to do it because I want to see the results! ;)

Drag racing is a lot more technical than it used to be. GONE are the days when after a top fuel run, you ran a compression check, read the plugs so you could adjust the jet sizes, and only opened it up if you found someting in the oil.

When you are making 8000 horsepower, does 25 lbs. really make that much of a difference?

I'm sorry...but this has to be one of the DUMBEST questions I have ever read on this site. They say there is no such thing as a dumb question, but this makes me wonder. Weight is ALWAYS a factor. Go to any driver or crew chief and ask him what he thinks about bolting on 25 lbs to his car...then come back and tell me what they said. These teams spend thousands, if not millions, of dollars to make their cars and parts lighter and stronger. When I worked on Eric Medlen's car, we had to add weight to make the minimum since he did not weigh much. We were one of the few to have to do that. If that is the case, you can add the weight where you want, which is advantageous.

Last edited:
Bross, go a bit easier on Russ. I'll bet a lot of people, when realizing fuel cars have 7-8000 HP, would also think 25 lbs. is a non event. Especially when you consider that they have so much power that they need to fight smoking the tires from start to finish. But, truth is, weight is still a factor, and probably for an even more important reason: stopping. The heavier these cars get, the tougher to stop.

Bross, go a bit easier on Russ. I'll bet a lot of people, when realizing fuel cars have 7-8000 HP, would also think 25 lbs. is a non event. Especially when you consider that they have so much power that they need to fight smoking the tires from start to finish. But, truth is, weight is still a factor, and probably for an even more important reason: stopping. The heavier these cars get, the tougher to stop.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back