Terry Haddock speaks about cost concerns (1 Viewer)

Not only have no new refineries been built, but the oil companies have also shut down refineries in the US during the same period of time. In addition, during the pandemic, they cut refinery production to match lower demand and have yet to increase production back to pre-pandemic levels. The oil companies are making record profits now on lower production, so why would they change?
You are right. In the last 2 years two refineries have been shut down within 50 miles of New Orleans. While in the middle of a expansion, Shell oil shut down all operations.

The biggest problem I see is the fact that no new refineries have been built in 50 yrs. How can a country grow using more products and the manufacturing
source hasn't increased?

The biggest problem I see is the fact that no new refineries have been built in 50 yrs. How can a country grow using more products and the manufacturing
source hasn't increased?

Well, that's just wrong on both counts. There have been new refineries built AND existing refineries have increased production. Companies aren't dumb - if they can squeeze money out of an existing refinery why put up the capital to build a whole new one?

For instance the refineries built in the 70's came online refining 254,900 barrels per day. As of 2021 those same refineries are refining 1,122,300 barrels per day.

Hi Darrell. I think that all that's being discussed does relate to drag racing. A trucker said that to fill up the tanks on an 18 wheeler is over $1000. Think of OTR costs for the drag racing teams. I kinda wonder how many fans will not attend a race cuz of cost of gas. Just my 2 cents.

It does affect drag racers and everyone else who buys gas. The price of gas is one of the reasons we didn't go racing last weekend at Famoso.

I still want to know …. If Brittany runs 3.63 seconds at WOT and given the fuel flow required to do it, does it consume more or less nitro than running 3.69? The car ran less time but they fed more fuel per second to get there?

I still want to know …. If Brittany runs 3.63 seconds at WOT and given the fuel flow required to do it, does it consume more or less nitro than running 3.69? The car ran less time but they fed more fuel per second to get there?
I'm not a tuner (although I play one on TV) but I don't believe there's any measurable difference in nitro consumption running a 3.63 vs. a 3.69. I'm guessing it's other factors, like how the car 60 foots, how it's hooked downtrack, etc.

mite be seeing tightening of purse straps already. not sure how many FC's are at bristol, but only 13 made Q last nite.

mite be seeing tightening of purse straps already. not sure how many FC's are at bristol, but only 13 made Q last nite.
I'm not a tuner (although I play one on TV) but I don't believe there's any measurable difference in nitro consumption running a 3.63 vs. a 3.69. I'm guessing it's other factors, like how the car 60 foots, how it's hooked downtrack, etc.
The absolute least percentage of the fuel used on a run is after the light goes Green. If the RPM goes to 8200 (which is not constant) for 3.90 seconds and then shuts off the Engine turns over 533 times, and a tenth or two is negligible. Also with the "Slide Valve" the pump is at full flow for a very small portion of that 3.90 seconds. The Start Up - Burn out - Back Up - Staging & Shut Down are the rest of the approximately up to 90 seconds give or take of the complete run. That means that no more than probably around 5 gallons max could be used on the actual timed run. And if you think about it it could take less fuel to run 3.70 than a 3.90 because you are on the "Gas" for a shorter period of time (This doesn't account for fuel flow adjustments on the run). AND "they" say these are low tech machines.

The absolute least percentage of the fuel used on a run is after the light goes Green. If the RPM goes to 8200 (which is not constant) for 3.90 seconds and then shuts off the Engine turns over 533 times, and a tenth or two is negligible. Also with the "Slide Valve" the pump is at full flow for a very small portion of that 3.90 seconds. The Start Up - Burn out - Back Up - Staging & Shut Down are the rest of the approximately up to 90 seconds give or take of the complete run. That means that no more than probably around 5 gallons max could be used on the actual timed run. And if you think about it it could take less fuel to run 3.70 than a 3.90 because you are on the "Gas" for a shorter period of time (This doesn't account for fuel flow adjustments on the run). AND "they" say these are low tech machines.
I think Roger knows what he's talking about. Have you ever worked on a nitro team?

Last edited:
so sick and tired of the world is falling nhra is dying bs. i was in Virginia all 3 days, even during the rain outs on fri/sat there were tons of people . sunday the place was packed. took 2 new people had them stand in various places thruought the day and when we got in the car to come home, they said "whens the next race we can go?" the sport is not dead.

Chris, Nhra is not dying.
Don't know how old you are but it sure has changed in the 30+ years I've been watching and going to races. Not necessarily for the good or bad, just different. Lots of pluses and minus's but for the most part I think it's all good. The one constant with everything is change. Similar to Nascar I think their might by more young blood coming up right now then their has been in a long time. That's the key to attracting new fans and keeping the sport moving in a forward direction.;)

Chris, Nhra is not dying.
Don't know how old you are but it sure has changed in the 30+ years I've been watching and going to races. Not necessarily for the good or bad, just different. Lots of pluses and minus's but for the most part I think it's all good. The one constant with everything is change. Similar to Nascar I think their might by more young blood coming up right now then their has been in a long time. That's the key to attracting new fans and keeping the sport moving in a forward direction.;)
Started watching back before Force was a champion. So, yes, ive seen the sport change for the better. I was a lurker on this site for a long time, and just get tired of people saying the sport is dying or omg there's an empty seat the sport is dead. it is definitely NOT dead.

so sick and tired of the world is falling nhra is dying bs. i was in Virginia all 3 days, even during the rain outs on fri/sat there were tons of people . sunday the place was packed. took 2 new people had them stand in various places thruought the day and when we got in the car to come home, they said "whens the next race we can go?" the sport is not dead.
Hey Chris, I was there for all 3 days as well. During those rain outs obviously the crowd thinned out but a lot stuck around at the track regardless. But even in the late afternoon when the rain stopped and runs were made peeps came out of nowhere. I have no idea where they were hiding. Of course a lot probably at he camp grounds right next door. On Sunday, with no rain all day, it was absolutely packed. I too had a f ew peeps from my company that had never been and plan on attending next year. Obviously it was good to have NHRA back at VMP after the 2 year pandemic fiasco.

Just think how many new fans could be reached by showcasing Larry Dixons 2 seater at the NHRA races. Last year at the 2nd Charolette race, the circle track racer they interviewed was ask twice if he would drive a Top Fuel car, he replied he wouldnt drive one but he would ride in one. He said it twice. Not one announcer said"well theres one of those out there". A missed chance to garner interest. Its an amazing experience.

Just think how many new fans could be reached by showcasing Larry Dixons 2 seater at the NHRA races. Last year at the 2nd Charolette race, the circle track racer they interviewed was ask twice if he would drive a Top Fuel car, he replied he wouldnt drive one but he would ride in one. He said it twice. Not one announcer said"well theres one of those out there". A missed chance to garner interest. Its an amazing experience.
I think their would have been big trouble if any announcer mentioned that car at a Nhra track. Larry Dixon has been banned by Nhra. Here's a link to an Autoweek article. https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nhra/a2134101/top-fuel-champion-larry-dixon-suing-nhra/

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back