Tanner going in circles 2019 (1 Viewer)

Didnt he have an oil company he sold for a couple billion a few years ago??
You are correct Jeremy, Marbob sold in 2010 for $1.7 billion, I was recalling an entirely different transaction. Johnny's dad started Marbob in the mid 70's, he passed away in 2001 and the company was sold to Concho roughly 10 years later. New Mexico has a very interesting oil and gas history and and interesting group of citizens enamored with motorsports.

Last edited:
You are correct Jeremy, Marbob sold in 2010 for $1.7 billion.
The oil company was owned by Johnny and his sister Terry Chandler. They each owned 50%.
The last year Johnny raced it was with the tribute car to their dad. His picture was on the side and playing cards for Pitch, a card game their dad liked.

Chandler sponsored the car the next year and started the charity sponsorships. I.think that Jack Beckman was the first driver. Then she added the second car for Tommy Johnson Jr.
DSR ran the cars for Chandler's sponsorship.

The oil company was owned by Johnny and his sister Terry Chandler. They each owned 50%.
The last year Johnny raced it was with the tribute car to their dad. His picture was on the side and playing cards for Pitch, a card game their dad liked.

Chandler sponsored the car the next year and started the charity sponsorships. I.think that Jack Beckman was the first driver. Then she added the second car for Tommy Johnson Jr.
DSR ran the cars for Chandler's sponsorship.

Interestingly enough, after the sale Johnny started "Pitch Energy" which is an oil & gas leasing company....

in my opinion T. Gray Leaving for nascar's third tier racing circuit is an ever so subtle slap in the face to Dragracing. Most guys leave because of funding or they're tired of not winning, but in Gray's case neither was an issue, plus he's on the verge of winning a championship. I can understand ditching pro stock, as that class is clearly circling the drain, but why not step up to one of the premier nitro classes instead of trucks. NHRA needs the gray's, as the big 3 (Force / Schumacher /Kallita) are getting older older and will need to replaced eventually.

Not really. He left circle/dirt/oval track racing, where he was doing quite well and winning quite a bit AFAIK, to do nhra. Saying it's a slap in the face to leave and go back to what he likes most is irrational, imo.

Now if he was leaving nhra to go do something new that he's never done and has zero experience with, much like pro stock racing, that'd be something else to consider. It be more of "a slap in the face" than this. Leaving a championship caliber team to go do the unknown? Yea...but wait. Isn't that what he did when he came to nhra? So wouldn't that, be considered a slap in the face to whatever sanctioning body he was racing for before nhra?

he's gonna have a big surprise when he gets to the end of the front straightaway and forgets he has to turn.......

My guess is

he ran circle track first and was occupied driving for xx minutes, now he comes over to NHRA and runs for 6 seconds and stands around for an hour to run 6 seconds again.
And the fact that he excelled at PS, he is probably bored.

Now if we could just get Danica to come over here and run a TF or FC the world would be in balance again.:p

It is so easy a blind person could drive a FC.....................WJ
That is funny. JR Todd said "Hands down" that driving a FC was the hardest thing he had ever driven. He and Shawn were talking about transitioning to FC from TF. Shawn asked him about FC vs. Pro Mod. It was on one of the Nomex Effect podcasts. Good stuff...............:cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back