Tanner going in circles 2019 (1 Viewer)

So Bo, Drew, Tanner, McGaha and Gaydosh all either stepping away completely or going part time. Not good.

A competitive pro stock operation is what, 2 to 3 million? Although it's a crazy amount, it's certainly far cheaper than a NASCAR operation!

Samuel Davidowicz made the following comment,
A competitive pro stock operation is what, 2 to 3 million? Although it's a crazy amount, it's certainly far cheaper than a NASCAR operation!

This is part of the reason both sectioning bodies are experiencing fewer competitors with each passing year!
The costs are out of control and have been for a long time and until NASCAR and the NHRA do something big to get things under control you will continue to see fewer competitors.

Many forms of racing have gone to crate engines that are sealed along with spec tires and even the move to not prep drag strips might be in the right direction.

How much horsepower does a car need to put on a good show and anything that gives the driver more hands on control of driving might be a good thing like removing a lot of the electronics that are used today.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Breaking news:
Tanner Gray to NASCAR in 2019...
Kyle and Kurt Busch reluctantly accept #2 and #3 positions in "most hated driver" standings....

https://www.nhra.com/news/2018/tanner-gray-transition-nascar-kn-east-series

Pro Stock leader Tanner Gray will compete in the NASCAR K&N East Series full time in 2019 with DGR-Crosley with an eye on a spot in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. The 2017 Automobile Club of Southern California Road to the Future Award winner also cited a desire for more time behind the wheel when discussing joining the circle-track ranks.

So it's not the trucks, it's the K & N East he's heading off to'

'I think you have to be a little bit younger to make this work, so I wanted to take the opportunity while I still had it.”

Actually, I think he makes a valid point here. It seems to me that the average age of a driver in the various NASCAR series have been skewing younger (cheaper) for the past decade or so.

Hell, I've been following racing so long, I still think of Jeff Gordon as a "kid." The last time I saw a closeup of him, I swore I saw some salt in his sideburns.

So Bo, Drew, Tanner, McGaha and Gaydosh all either stepping away completely or going part time. Not good.

McGaha and Bo are quitting or going part time? Where did you see this? I wonder if or when Summit will ask Greg to go Promod racing.

McGaha and Bo are quitting or going part time? Where did you see this? I wonder if or when Summit will ask Greg to go Promod racing.
Not sure on bo,mcgaha said he was going to race around 15 events. I wonder about nobile??

I didn't really think T. Gray would stick around very long and when I stated this, in a thread, earlier this year, a certain 'announcer' pointed out how idiotic my comments were and agreed that Tanner was part of the future of NHRA racing:p

I didn't really think T. Gray would stick around very long and when I stated this, in a thread, earlier this year, a certain 'announcer' pointed out how idiotic my comments were and agreed that Tanner was part of the future of NHRA racing:p

....and things change

I suppose we could start a record of predictions or rumors that we have all gotten right or wrong over the years. :rolleyes:

see how he does turning a wheel. the last thing anyone wants is someone staying in something they'd rather not be in.
grandpa had the passion for drag racing.

I do remember a couple of conversations, I don't recall calling you an idiot. Things change, and I have certainly been wrong before. One thing I like about this place, is that everyone has to put their name on what they say. So when time goes by, I can admit that I was wrong. If that's the biggest thing I'm wrong about this year, it's going to be the best year I ever had!

Alan

in my opinion T. Gray Leaving for nascar's third tier racing circuit is an ever so subtle slap in the face to Dragracing. Most guys leave because of funding or they're tired of not winning, but in Gray's case neither was an issue, plus he's on the verge of winning a championship. I can understand ditching pro stock, as that class is clearly circling the drain, but why not step up to one of the premier nitro classes instead of trucks. NHRA needs the gray's, as the big 3 (Force / Schumacher /Kallita) are getting older older and will need to replaced eventually.

I recall that Johnny Gray raced circle track or dirt track stock cars then went to drag racing. Several types of cars before he raced nitro

Since retiring from drag racing he has been sports car racing.
His wife also has been sports car racing.

I will miss Tanner in the NHRA and will follow him in the K&N series. Sometimes Tanner makes me laugh with some of his reasoning, but jeez I'm almost 3 times as old as him and he is a billionaire's great grandkid (Johnny's dad made his money in a early 70's sale of stock to Shell if I recall my oil and gas history correctly) .... I'm impressed he can have any reasoning at all! I certainly wouldn't have if the tables were turned (I do have hopes for the lottery this week).

On WFO radio Tanner said he looked forward to more seat time and thought the NASCAR side was more accepting of younger drivers .... I don't think he realizes that car owners pay younger drivers less than older drivers, but what does he care about a paycheck, it is fairly likely that his family will be funding any paycheck he is given (and as a tax advisor I would inform him that gifts are not subject to self employment tax or income tax ... but he probably wants a W-2 so give him one).

I remember him giving Alex Laughlin a hard time earlier this year for being so focused on social media .... I don't think it ever occurred to him that is a big part of how Alex funds his racing.

Oh well, I can promise I would be 10 times worse. Kid has some talent and I can't blame him for being a member of the silver spoon club. Whoever buys the Gray operation (Tanner did say "before we close the doors" in the same interview) will be getting one heck of a jump start, although I'm sorta guessing they are already out there racing unless Cagnazzi is taking his Trump bump and reinvesting in the NHRA before the next stock market correction.

Oh and non idiots can say idiotic things, its just a symptom, not a diagnosis.

in my opinion T. Gray Leaving for nascar's third tier racing circuit is an ever so subtle slap in the face to Dragracing.

I had a chuckle when I read that, because the other night I watched a movie I saw as a young'un....."Greased lightning" with Richard Pryor playing NASCAR's first black driver, Wendell Scott.
Every third word in that movie was the N word. The treatment that he got from not only the other drivers but the sanctioning body was a disgrace. Now flash forward to 2018. How many racers of color...let alone those who are Champions, does the NHRA and NASCAR have each? Add to that the women drivers.....
NHRA wins by a TKO

I will miss Tanner in the NHRA and will follow him in the K&N series. Sometimes Tanner makes me laugh with some of his reasoning, but jeez I'm almost 3 times as old as him and he is a billionaire's great grandkid (Johnny's dad made his money in a early 70's sale of stock to Shell if I recall my oil and gas history correctly) .... I'm impressed he can have any reasoning at all! I certainly wouldn't have if the tables were turned (I do have hopes for the lottery this week).

On WFO radio Tanner said he looked forward to more seat time and thought the NASCAR side was more accepting of younger drivers .... I don't think he realizes that car owners pay younger drivers less than older drivers, but what does he care about a paycheck, it is fairly likely that his family will be funding any paycheck he is given (and as a tax advisor I would inform him that gifts are not subject to self employment tax or income tax ... but he probably wants a W-2 so give him one).

I remember him giving Alex Laughlin a hard time earlier this year for being so focused on social media .... I don't think it ever occurred to him that is a big part of how Alex funds his racing.

Oh well, I can promise I would be 10 times worse. Kid has some talent and I can't blame him for being a member of the silver spoon club. Whoever buys the Gray operation (Tanner did say "before we close the doors" in the same interview) will be getting one heck of a jump start, although I'm sorta guessing they are already out there racing unless Cagnazzi is taking his Trump bump and reinvesting in the NHRA before the next stock market correction.

Oh and non idiots can say idiotic things, its just a symptom, not a diagnosis.
Didnt he have an oil company he sold for a couple billion a few years ago??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back