TAFC driver killed at Atlanta (1 Viewer)

Bill, I remember hearing about John Shoemaker but what circumstances are you referring too? As for Bobby's deal I did see on DRC that he was only(?) going 180 MPH when he went through the lights on this pass. When Scott was Killed everyone blamed the speeds of the cars before anything else! :rolleyes:

I got a PM explaining the John Shoemaker ordeal so sorry for any missunderstanding! And Yes I think Bill's correct on this issue!

First of all, my condolences to the Martindale family. Regarding the accident, it sounds like some are suggesting Bobby had something happen during the run similar to John Shoemaker. If in fact the car went into the trees off the track, you don't need to be going 300, or 200, or even 100 to have a tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers are with bobbys family and friends! This has just been a very crappy year for drag racing we have had to many fatal accidents! Hopefully we can get something figured out so next season is not a repeat of this season!!

First of all, my condolences to the Martindale family. Regarding the accident, it sounds like some are suggesting Bobby had something happen during the run similar to John Shoemaker. If in fact the car went into the trees off the track, you don't need to be going 300, or 200, or even 100 to have a tragedy.

Very Good Nunzio, except some don't take that into account when something like this happens. And look for something to blame!

Last edited:
I don't think this is accurate. I wasn't at the race but for some reason I remember watching the TV interview with Ron like it was yesterday. Ron said after trying to pull the throttle back with the toe hook on the throttle pedal a few times, (with no success) he knew there was only one other option.... blow the engine! He said shutting the fuel off when the throttle is still wide open will cause the engine to explode, which is what he did.

Which is what makes me wonder whenever I see mention of remote fuel shutoffs for nitro cars.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back