TAFC driver killed at Atlanta (1 Viewer)

I heard from multiple sources it was Bobby Martindale, who normally drives for Tony Deperno. Reportedly the car ran off the end of the track into the trees.

RIP and Godspeed my friend. My condolences to the family.

Sorry to hear this!! My thoughts and prayers go out to Martindale's family and friends.

I think the idea of a Master Kill switch in ALL of the faster classes is a MUST Now! I'm curious just how safe the Sand trap area at Atlanta was??? NHRA has to enforce strict new standards for all member tracks that run anything over 200 MPH with regards to the Shut down/ Sandtrap! Godspeed my friend!:(

Last edited:
From the scuttlebutt in the pits at Atlanta, it was eerily similar to Scott Kalitta's accident.

We were getting ready for Q2 when officials announced the cancellation of the rest of the day.

RIP and Godspeed, Bobby.

From the scuttlebutt in the pits at Atlanta, it was eerily similar to Scott Kalitta's accident.

We were getting ready for Q2 when officials announced the cancellation of the rest of the day.

RIP and Godspeed, Bobby.

The brief article on NHRA.com makes it sound much like Scott's crash. How tragic. Can this please stop happening? My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

I heard from multiple sources it was Bobby Martindale, who normally drives for Tony Deperno. Reportedly the car ran off the end of the track into the trees.

RIP and Godspeed my friend. My condolences to the family.

So was NOT Bobby Martin that drives for Frank Parker out of Michigan ?

Terrible news. Our thoughts and condolences to the Martindale Family and his team.

The brief article on NHRA.com makes it sound much like Scott's crash. How tragic. Can this please stop happening?

Prayers and sympathy to the Martindale family. Another needless tragedy. And yes, this needs to stop - now.
I seem to remember that NHRA owns the Atlanta track. Regardless of who owns the facility, if the shutdown area is substandard, there should be no racing tomorrow.
Sportsman racer's lives are no less valuable than professionals. The death of one racer is unacceptable - the toll is now three since Indy. If a race venue cannot safely stop a runaway TA/FC or TAD there should be no more racing until the problem is solved. - :mad:

Rest in Peace, Bobby. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and team. How horrific for something like this to happen again so soon after Scott's crash! It just makes you sick! :(

Oh my God this is so sad. How can this happen again? This just plain makes me sick to think that another family has to deal with this.

My best to Bobby's family and friends.

Dave

A few years ago when Ron Capps was driving a berry colored Skoal funny car, his throttle stuck open, but he was able to blow the engine somehow and I think that's what saved him. He did a sideways slide to avoid the sandtrap. It was a masterful piece of driving. He threw his gloves at the car in anger. I don't blame him. Isn't there a way of killing the engine like that in alcohol? Anyway, my condolences to this driver. This is tragic.

Leebone

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back