TAFC driver killed at Atlanta (1 Viewer)

So sad indeed. Story we got at Martin 131 Sat. nite was, stuck throttle-hit trees. Starting at Indy, this makes 3 drivers lost in 5 weeks...yer right, it's gotta STOP.

Don't know anything about the shutdown area there...never been.

His family is in my prayers.

my deepest condolences to Bobby's family. I spoke with Bobby a few years back about driving his TAFC. Great guy, great family. This is truly tragic, sad news!
Godspeed Bobby!

A few years ago when Ron Capps was driving a berry colored Skoal funny car, his throttle stuck open, but he was able to blow the engine somehow and I think that's what saved him. He did a sideways slide to avoid the sandtrap. It was a masterful piece of driving. He threw his gloves at the car in anger. I don't blame him. Isn't there a way of killing the engine like that in alcohol? Anyway, my condolences to this driver. This is tragic.

Leebone

I was at that race. The engine blew courtesy of being wide open too long. Ace gave it about a 1500 ft fuse. Capps was lucky. When it blew it didn't distort the body much and with very little fire the chutes had good air to blossom into.

I really hate to hear this news. Prayers to the families and friends involved.

I'm so sorry this happened it's been a bad year. I know that NHRA tech does a good job looking over each car and as a racer myself, we all need to be appreciative for the job they do in trying to make sure every car that goes down the track is safe. Regardless of saying yeah, drag racing is safer than football etc.. It's not. Going 180 to 300 plus is a dangerous game regardless of the class you're in but we'll all continue to race as long as we can.

But how many more of these can happen until the insurance company says enough? It seems like the sport had few deadly accidents in the 80's and 90's. Perhaps there are just a lot more cars close to 200 these days. Would that indy catch net have prevented this?

Last edited:
Very sad news. I'm proud to be in the fraternity of drag racers, and in particular TAFC drivers. I appreciate everyone's concern for safety. Racing is inherently dangerous. Another activity of mine (new this year) is mountain climbing, which is also inherently dangerous. Drag racing and mountain climbing (as well as other sports) requires planning and attention to detail. Even the most prepared can end up in a life-threatening situation where things are beyond your control. There is something about participating in a dangerous pursuit that helps you feel like you are truly living. I'm glad that Bobby was truly living on his last day on this earth. I hope the same can be said of me on that day. It is so hard on those left behind, and my prayers and condolences go out to them all.

This is truly horrible news. I never met Bobby but spoke to him a few times on the phone over the last few years. Best wishes go out to his family.

Now having said that, let's hold judgement on the track situation until all the details are in. From what I've read, it appears that there was alot going on during that fateful run. This could turn out to be the same set of circumstances in which John Shoemaker was taken from us.

For now, focus your thoughts on the family.

This is truly horrible news. I never met Bobby but spoke to him a few times on the phone over the last few years. Best wishes go out to his family.

Now having said that, let's hold judgement on the track situation until all the details are in. From what I've read, it appears that there was alot going on during that fateful run. This could turn out to be the same set of circumstances in which John Shoemaker was taken from us.

That's what I had heard as well.

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

I was at that race. The engine blew courtesy of being wide open too long. Ace gave it about a 1500 ft fuse. Capps was lucky. When it blew it didn't distort the body much and with very little fire the chutes had good air to blossom into.

It was also very fortunate that Densham, who was in the other lane, smoked the tires.

I had the same thoughts.

Jay

I don't think this is accurate. I wasn't at the race but for some reason I remember watching the TV interview with Ron like it was yesterday. Ron said after trying to pull the throttle back with the toe hook on the throttle pedal a few times, (with no success) he knew there was only one other option.... blow the engine! He said shutting the fuel off when the throttle is still wide open will cause the engine to explode, which is what he did.

Bill, I remember hearing about John Shoemaker but what circumstances are you referring too? As for Bobby's deal I did see on DRC that he was only(?) going 180 MPH when he went through the lights on this pass. When Scott was Killed everyone blamed the speeds of the cars before anything else! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back