T J Zizzo (1 Viewer)

Since Zizzo has been officially announced, I noticed a familiar name that hasn't raced in a while on the entry list for Chicago in PSM.

It will be awesome to see 21 cars (or more) battling out for 16 spots. Sucks there is only three qualifying sessions in Chicago. Some tour regulars could easily miss the show.

I almost lost track of the purpose of this thread. But best of luck to Zizzo’s team. I hope they have a great outing.
as far as the year or two old discussion of only three qualifying sessions… yes we miss having four. But what I’d really like is two Q sessions Fri, late afternoon and night, one Q session Saturday and pro round one on Saturday. On Sunday, the 8 cars that got eliminated Saturday run their own mini race for enough $$$ for the top couple to make the run or travel or whatever.

In my opinion it's not the duty of the part time racers to fill fields. Agree with Alan that their sponsors plans come first. If NHRA wants them to help fill fields NHRA needs to make it worth their while. Otherwise ask the big guys to bring out another car like Billy Torrence or use guys like Tommy Johnson or others to drive big team extra cars.

IMO it looks bad when sunday eliminations have a bye. it does not reflect well on anything.
if the choice was one race with 14, the next race with 16, and the third race with 18 ...... or all three races with exactly 16, i'd want 16 cars at every event.
this is just my opinion. i'm not trying to win any argument here, just stating that there are rarely, if ever 16 tour regulars, and i think it's a good idea to have at least 16 cars
in the two nitro fields at as many races as possible....... do you just hope it happens? or are there ways to increase the odds it will happen? nothing more, nothing less.

IMO it looks bad when sunday eliminations have a bye. it does not reflect well on anything.
if the choice was one race with 14, the next race with 16, and the third race with 18 ...... or all three races with exactly 16, i'd want 16 cars at every event.
this is just my opinion. i'm not trying to win any argument here, just stating that there are rarely, if ever 16 tour regulars, and i think it's a good idea to have at least 16 cars
in the two nitro fields at as many races as possible....... do you just hope it happens? or are there ways to increase the odds it will happen? nothing more, nothing less.
Well I agree "it's a good idea" to have at least 16 cars per class, hell, 20-25 is an even better idea! The only way to increase the odds of more participation is to offer more money, especially for cars that don't qualify. It's expensive out there, always has been, and never going to be cheap. As it was posted earlier in the thread, short fields have been happening for decades. Remember how bad Top Fuel got in the '80s before Garlits came back and rejuvenated the category? Considering what's going on in this country economically, with all the post pandemic chaos, I think we're doing pretty well.

I remember that well. T/F had gotten down to an 8 car field at one point. Also remember IHRA trying to increase the car count by having injected nitro cars with nitrous. There were some A/FD that showed up, but no one ever ran nitrous. Would have been interesting, but I don't think even today that a A/FD on nitrous (even 8 stages) would be competitive.

Mike the only way it happen is either

1) NHRA turns into a dictatorship or
2) Some type of allowance is paid to get cars to the low car count events.

I will pick on myself. I am in Indiana and I am trying to keep my expenses down so I stick around the Midwest.

But for Joilet there will be 20 cars or so. If a car qualifies 17th they will receive $7500.

Now let’s say NHRA says Kyle you have to go to New England vs Chicago.

Now I have to fly my crew guys in versus them driving. They have normal jobs and need to work on Thursday and Monday. Put them all up in hotels versus some staying in a motorhome and rent a car or two. This alone costs me 5k-8k more than Chicago. Not counting the additional cost of getting the race rig to the track. Now I qualify and get beat in round one I get 10k.

Chicago still makes better sense for me. I will loose less money and it’s a heck of a lot less of a travel headache for everyone.

If number one happens my stuff is now for sale and I am done.

I will pick on myself. I am in Indiana and I am trying to keep my expenses down so I stick around the Midwest.

But for Joilet there will be 20 cars or so. If a car qualifies 17th they will receive $7500.

Now I have to fly my crew guys in versus them driving. They have normal jobs and need to work on Thursday and Monday. Put them all up in hotels versus some staying in a motorhome and rent a car or two. This alone costs me 5k-8k more than Chicago. Not counting the additional cost of getting the race rig to the track. Now I qualify and get beat in round one I get 10k.

Chicago still makes better sense for me. I will loose less money and it’s a heck of a lot less of a travel headache for everyone.

Not sure if it would work or not, But why not have a second 8 for the first round loosers. It could be a pretty good show for those who maybe smoked the tires or Red lit ETC.. They would have to work out the money, maybe starting with second round for the winners of the second round and so on.

Great article. I'll be in Joliet rooting for them!

Sharp looking lines. I like it. 🧐 nice car too.

The can of paint is a trick idea I have been using for years in renderings. Innovative nozzle/s

Last edited:
Peggy Llewellyn
I remember she had one of the most heartwarming reactions to a national event win I've ever seen. I've never understood why she was unceremoniously replaced by her team , but as they say, with regards to her eventual successor, what goes around comes around!!!!!!!!

"I will lose less money" is the statement most forget...unless you have mega bucks sponsors, its all about managing your losses to run the fuel classes

"I will lose less money" is the statement most forget...unless you have mega bucks sponsors, its all about managing your losses to run the fuel classes
That is the case in pretty much all classes, and for that matter all of motorsports. Glad to see Zizzo coming back with new pipe!

not to derail the thread, but to Nunzio's point....I am finishing my "new to me" Super Gas car. Its been over 50K to this point, between purchase and upgrades. Super Gas payout to win; $1800

Its not about the money, it about managing your finances properly and racing within your means, so you can enjoy the hunt for that elusive win!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back