T J Zizzo (1 Viewer)

I agree 100% Pete.

My discussion was only for the conversation related to making part-time cars going to other events.

kyle, thanks for your previous post. you are definitely correct that teams based in certain areas makes better financial sense to
pull off the entire weekend, with hotels, travel, crew, and food at tracks located nearest to them.
hoping rustoleum wants the zizzo team out there a few more times this year

Last edited:
Kyle, again, i am glad to see you will race in brainerd, and almost guaranteed a spot in eliminations (based on recent TF fields at BIR).
i do have to ask, in the spirit of this conversation and your comments in post #31; based in indiana, what factors played into your decision to
race in brainerd vs. indianapolis? ........ always pulling for any of the non-full time teams to do well.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Pete, last year I spent 172k for all expenses to go to five races. Bear in mind my crew guys are all volunteers. I did receive almost 52k from NHRA to help offset that outlay a little bit.

Mike, the majority of my guys can still drive to Brainard. I did have to pick up a couple of plane tickets. I was able to Airbnb a cabin that will be cheaper than a hotel room rental in Indy. I definitely have greater travel costs for the rig, but Brainard will be one less qualifying run that will help offset these additional expenses and I may sit out another lap in Brainerd depending on car turnout. I know no one is holding a gun to my head to run all the qualifying laps but I show up to qualify and try to win a round or two. Not to hang out and make one qualifying lap (no offense to those who do). At Indy, if I am the 17th qualifier, I get $7,500 at Brainerd first-round loser will pay 13k if you make all 4 qualifying runs 12k for 3 and 11k for 2. When you factor in one less run and potentially $5500 more dollars I lose less going to BIR. Indy first-round loser pays 14k if you make all qualifying runs so if that happens I am still probably ahead financially by going to BIR because of one less run that cost me around 8k to make.

Hello everyone,

Pete, last year I spent 172k for all expenses to go to five races. Bear in mind my crew guys are all volunteers. I did receive almost 52k from NHRA to help offset that outlay a little bit.

Mike, the majority of my guys can still drive to Brainard. I did have to pick up a couple of plane tickets. I was able to Airbnb a cabin that will be cheaper than a hotel room rental in Indy. I definitely have greater travel costs for the rig, but Brainard will be one less qualifying run that will help offset these additional expenses and I may sit out another lap in Brainerd depending on car turnout. I know no one is holding a gun to my head to run all the qualifying laps but I show up to qualify and try to win a round or two. Not to hang out and make one qualifying lap (no offense to those who do). At Indy, if I am the 17th qualifier, I get $7,500 at Brainerd first-round loser will pay 13k if you make all 4 qualifying runs 12k for 3 and 11k for 2. When you factor in one less run and potentially $5500 more dollars I lose less going to BIR. Indy first-round loser pays 14k if you make all qualifying runs so if that happens I am still probably ahead financially by going to BIR because of one less run that cost me around 8k to make.
Appreciate the honestly Kyle. We are all interesting in the true expenses of running fuel and have always heard of NHRA sweetening the pot for the smaller regional teams.

Is the 172K total for the 5 races or per race?

Hello everyone,

I hear ya on those that show up and hope for a miracle with 1 qualfying pass,seems like a big chance to take after alot of travling hotels etc.

I would love the sweetener but I have never seen or received it.

Total for the year. Keep in mind I drive a small toter and trailer, cook/prep all our meals, I am fortunate enough to have a great group of guys that volunteer their time, and one of my crew guys has a motorhome that 5 guys stay in.
Thats the beauty of 'old school' racing. The camaraderie, everyone with one purpose and running more on heart than $...best of luck the rest of the year!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back