Suzie Q's Community Outreach (1 Viewer)

Terry

Nitro Member
Just thought I'd let everyone know the reason we haven't been hearing our quota of smart a$$ comments from Suzie last week and today is that she has been busy with her Community Outreach program which provides school supplies, backpacks, etc for those that really need them. In all seriousness, it's a whole bunch of work, and for very little thanks. If you would like to become a part of Suzie's Community Outreach project, or if you would like some info on what you can do locally to provide these much-needed items, I'm sure Suzie will see this post and come on here to answer questions, or a pm would work too. I take my hat off to Suzie and others like her who are quietly making a difference. Way to go, Suzie! And I encourage anyone else who would like to be involved to get a group together and start a community outreach program in your town!:D

Suzie if you read this, my wife teaches in a low income school that has 97% free & reduced lunches & she is always praising volunteers like you.She saves the plastic grocery bags for kids to use as back packs for those that cannot afford them.The funny part is they LOVE Mrs Smiths special back packs as they call them:p Keep up the good work!

Wow this is such a great thing, I feel wrong actually using any jokes on it :)

Way to go

Thank you soooo much for posting this Terry! It is a huge undertaking, but it is worth every minute of it!

I am happy to report that we have raised enough to purchase 80 backpacks and fill them with all the supplies that the kids need in grades kindergarten thru 7th grade. The high school kids will get a huge bag of supplies as well. They are a little "picky" about backpacks, so I figured I would leave that up to them. I have enough for 50 high schoolers.

I have hit up my local bakery to help me with some goodies for the kids to enjoy and I am waiting on their response. How can they refuse me!!!

I encourage all of you to try to do something to help others. I am telling ya, there is nothing like seeing the smiles on the faces of those kids and parents. It lets them know that someone really does care out there. That is the greatest reward of all!

This year will be the 15th Anniversary of the "Jingle Bell Jam"! I do this every year at Christmas to help raise money and toys and gifts for my local battered women's shelter, Safe Haven. We are really excited about this show! Kalitta Motorsports has always been great to me in donating all kinds of racing goodies that we auction off. Nancy Matter is going to be a part of it this year too! It will be lots of fun!

Anyhoo, I am off to start organizing the production line in our conference room. It is a disaster in there right now, but as soon as I get the production line in order, it should run smoothly!

ta-ta!

I would be more than happy to help! I do volunteer work each year in Philadelphia. Last year, I helped refurbish an elementary school in a very rough neighborhood where I felt uneasy in broad daylight. I drew library duty. OMG, these kids are "reading" books printed back in the 50's. They had about 12 computers sitting there and not a single one worked. The school is so poor that they don't even have a librarian. The kids fend for themselves. It makes me so appreciative what I've been able to provide for my children and makes me want to help wherever I can.

Kudos to Suzie Q!:)

That sounds great Suzie. There is a local group that does something similar in the area gathering up supplies, except they try and pick up the 'qaulity supplies' that they can give to the kids so they can for possibly the first time in their lives, have 'the best'.

That sounds great Suzie. There is a local group that does something similar in the area gathering up supplies, except they try and pick up the 'qaulity supplies' that they can give to the kids so they can for possibly the first time in their lives, have 'the best'.

I have been a shopping feind! I have crayola and rose art products. I have just been unstuffing the backpacks and removing the silica gel packets so that no one thinks that is a tasty treat!!!:D I think the backpacks are reaaallly nice. They seem pretty durable too.

I went to my local Big Lots store and bought them out of their backpacks. They were $8.00 each and I saw the same ones at Target for $13.99. The store manager Scooter said that for each one that doesn't have a price tag on it, he would give it to me for $5.00. What a great guy! The ones at the bottom of the bin had no tags! SCORE!!!

Target had the best prices on the markers, map pencils, crayons, glue and paper. We had to act fast because the school supplies sell out pretty quick. especially wide ruled notebook paper! I had to get a case of the college ruled, but that is ok for the high schoolers.

Thank you soooo much for posting this Terry! It is a huge undertaking, but it is worth every minute of it!

I am happy to report that we have raised enough to purchase 80 backpacks and fill them with all the supplies that the kids need in grades kindergarten thru 7th grade. The high school kids will get a huge bag of supplies as well. They are a little "picky" about backpacks, so I figured I would leave that up to them. I have enough for 50 high schoolers.

I have hit up my local bakery to help me with some goodies for the kids to enjoy and I am waiting on their response. How can they refuse me!!!

I encourage all of you to try to do something to help others. I am telling ya, there is nothing like seeing the smiles on the faces of those kids and parents. It lets them know that someone really does care out there. That is the greatest reward of all!

This year will be the 15th Anniversary of the "Jingle Bell Jam"! I do this every year at Christmas to help raise money and toys and gifts for my local battered women's shelter, Safe Haven. We are really excited about this show! Kalitta Motorsports has always been great to me in donating all kinds of racing goodies that we auction off. Nancy Matter is going to be a part of it this year too! It will be lots of fun!

Anyhoo, I am off to start organizing the production line in our conference room. It is a disaster in there right now, but as soon as I get the production line in order, it should run smoothly!

ta-ta!

Kalitta Motorsports donates, huh? Hmmmmm, I just happen to know a guy that is pretty good friends with a Pro Stock team that just might be able to help out with the "Jam" also....ya just never know!

I have been a shopping feind! I have crayola and rose art products. I have just been unstuffing the backpacks and removing the silica gel packets so that no one thinks that is a tasty treat!!!:D I think the backpacks are reaaallly nice. They seem pretty durable too.

I went to my local Big Lots store and bought them out of their backpacks. They were $8.00 each and I saw the same ones at Target for $13.99. The store manager Scooter said that for each one that doesn't have a price tag on it, he would give it to me for $5.00. What a great guy! The ones at the bottom of the bin had no tags! SCORE!!!

Target had the best prices on the markers, map pencils, crayons, glue and paper. We had to act fast because the school supplies sell out pretty quick. especially wide ruled notebook paper! I had to get a case of the college ruled, but that is ok for the high schoolers.

That's so cool. Backpacks are expensive too. I think my nieces bags were 20 bucks a pop. My school backpack was $100 but it's for a laptop and the girls were trying to convince me to 'swap' with them. Since my bag is 'old' they were convinced it was fair. :)

Our CC has a competition each year to see which team can round up the most supplies. We have a daily email that goes out listing the sale prices. Last week the best buys I made were Staples 9 cent notebook paper & one of the stores had RoseArt crayons at 17 cents for packs of 24. I consider this some of my favorite shopping each year. We have two local schools we are partnered with that get the bulk of the donations.

Finally!!! All the backpacks and bags are DONE!!! I had some great helpers!

Now tomorrow I have to bag up 120 cookies!!! Crap!:D

Well, it is over and the kids are back in school! I bet there are some happy parents out there!

We helped out 140 kids with backpacks and school supplies. It was a lot of fun helping the kids pick out their favorite ones. The parents seemed to be very grateful for the help. I am looking forward to next year! :D

Congratualtions Suzie on a job well done!! It is great you take the time to do that for those that are a little less fortunate.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back