Struggling Team (1 Viewer)

Randy and Al, great posts. And I totally get it. I guess I was just thinking that these fuel cars are SO temperamental that it's easy to literally destroy everything with 1 bad call, much more so than in any other classes. In my mind I'm thinking if these guys had a baseline, they could probably make some fields this year, and maybe attend 1 or 2 more events than usual. However, I understand the need and the challenge to figure things out and achieve success, at any level, without any outside help. My hat's off to these teams.

Regarding Steve Chrisman, it is my understanding that a team with a big yellow dragster in the past offered him everything from the sun to the moon including cannon, bellhousing and good competitive safe tune-up but he declined.

I think Steve Chrisman, Steve Plueger and I come from (just about) the same mold in this respect. We have a saying that Plueger has said to me many times. "If you run the same stuff as everyone else, you'll run the same as everyone else." Steve Plueger has his own way of running his Bucky Austin driven nostalgia funny car and right now no one can touch him. And no one has a clue what he's doing. And, to be honest, it's fun to watch.

When Chrisman runs good it's within his budget and he makes certain choice based on what he feels is right. He can't afford to set his car up like Connie or anyone else with million$. The last thing a thinker like Steve wants is to be given all of the answers to the final exam. Kinda takes the challenge out of seeing if you can get an "A" on your own. And, in the end, you didn't learn ANYTHING if you had to rely on someone else to spoon feed you information. Makes you lazy and dependant.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you fall and scrape your knees. But at least by working hard to do it yourself you know why it happened.

RG

Last edited:
I don't know Arley Langlo so its not really right for me to have an oppinion on how he does things but I have to ask , whats the difference between the guys who have been around for years but constantly struggle and the guys who have also been around for years but found success early on. Can't just be luck .

Well, not sure if this is the right answer, but while Arley has been around a long time, I believe he has always been part-time, so obviously he doesn't get to make changes and see the results and often as someone running a partial or full schedule. Randy, your analogy to cheating to get an A is a good one, the approach that guys like you and Plueger and Arley take is really what the sport was built on.

When Chrisman runs good it's within his budget and he makes certain choice based on what he feels is right. He can't afford to set his car up like Connie or anyone else with million$. The last thing a thinker like Steve wants is to be given all of the answers to the final exam. Kinda takes the challenge out of seeing if you can get an "A" on your own. And, in the end, you didn't learn ANYTHING if you had to rely on someone else to spoon feed you information. Makes you lazy and dependant.

I agree with your basic principle. I have always tried to do our own thing on the cars (circle track cars in the NE) we have run. When I raced radio control cars (waiting for the laughing to stop) my car was never the same as anyone elses.

But, what is wrong with having a teacher in the classroom?

Fredrick,

Trying to take in Trig and calc doesn't help when the most you've mastered in algebra II. It's not that you can't, it's that you need a much larger blackboard to do the problems on... (or a girlfriend that will keep trying to teach you until you finally go ....duh)

d'kid

I agree with your basic principle. I have always tried to do our own thing on the cars (circle track cars in the NE) we have run. When I raced radio control cars (waiting for the laughing to stop) my car was never the same as anyone elses.

But, what is wrong with having a teacher in the classroom?

We used to race slot cars and did our own electric motors and chassis. Of course they were toast after one race but they sure ran fast.

Nothing wrong with the teacher in the classroom. But for the harder headed folks there's no greater satisfaction than taking the training wheels off the two wheeler and riding it yourself.

Regarding Steve Chrisman, it is my understanding that a team with a big yellow dragster in the past offered him everything from the sun to the moon including cannon, bellhousing and good competitive safe tune-up but he declined.

I think Steve Chrisman, Steve Plueger and I come from (just about) the same mold in this respect. We have a saying that Plueger has said to me many times. "If you run the same stuff as everyone else, you'll run the same as everyone else." Steve Plueger has his own way of running his Bucky Austin driven nostalgia funny car and right now no one can touch him. And no one has a clue what he's doing. And, to be honest, it's fun to watch.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you fall and scrape your knees. But at least by working hard to do it yourself you know why it happened.

RG

I heard that Chrisman doesn't run as fast because he doesn't use a lock-up clutch. If he had that, it would run faster but it would also be more $$$$$!

RG
You and Plueger don't leave 18 quarts on the track after every attempt.
Arley and crew have been exceptionally consistent at that for 30+ years

But his fire shows have been SPECTACULAR:eek:

RG
You and Plueger don't leave 18 quarts on the track after every attempt.
Arley and crew have been exceptionally consistent at that for 30+ years

But his fire shows have been SPECTACULAR:eek:

What are you doing on the computer? I'm still waiting for my crew shirts and we are leaving Thursday night for Phoenix.

:p

It's my ghost writer, I'm not really here

ghostwriter.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back