Stone Woods & Cook (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member

Saw photo of SWC Pinto F/C, so thought I'd throw this out. Veteran race fans remember match races between Pebble Pulp & Chef VS Big June, as Pete Millar drew the comic for Isky Cams. SWC VS Big John Mazmanian. People would come to Lions, etc for a T/F show that featured a 2 out of 3 between these 2 cars. They could run high 9's on gas & that was a slower dragster time. Ya wonder why F/C is popular today.... A/GS back then looked like something you could cruise on Van Nuys Blvd. Early F/C had the rear of the car higher than the front - had the "look", and guys in SoCal back then would get big tires in the back to copy that look in their street cars.

War story: Had a friend who had been in the Nam. We both got out of military around 1968. He had a 1965 Chevelle with the F/C look. We were in Glendale, Calif one day, getting ready to turn left off Colorado Blvd onto Brand. Just as we made the turn, a drunk in a Corvair ran the red & plowed into us. The fact that friends car was jacked up in the back saved us from worse damage, as the Corvair kinda hit the bottom of the Chevelle. I put my (hard) head into the windshield & left a hole there. Just glass in my hair, no cuts, altho I was pretty sore for a few days. Still remember that, probably late 1968.

Saw photo of SWC Pinto F/C, so thought I'd throw this out. Veteran race fans remember match races between Pebble Pulp & Chef VS Big June, as Pete Millar drew the comic for Isky Cams. SWC VS Big John Mazmanian. People would come to Lions, etc for a T/F show that featured a 2 out of 3 between these 2 cars. They could run high 9's on gas & that was a slower dragster time. Ya wonder why F/C is popular today.... A/GS back then looked like something you could cruise on Van Nuys Blvd. Early F/C had the rear of the car higher than the front - had the "look", and guys in SoCal back then would get big tires in the back to copy that look in their street cars.

War story: Had a friend who had been in the Nam. We both got out of military around 1968. He had a 1965 Chevelle with the F/C look. We were in Glendale, Calif one day, getting ready to turn left off Colorado Blvd onto Brand. Just as we made the turn, a drunk in a Corvair ran the red & plowed into us. The fact that friends car was jacked up in the back saved us from worse damage, as the Corvair kinda hit the bottom of the Chevelle. I put my (hard) head into the windshield & left a hole there. Just glass in my hair, no cuts, altho I was pretty sore for a few days. Still remember that, probably late 1968.
How awful....a '65 Chevelle gets whacked by a Corvair.... :(

I've seen Big John and SWC go at it - at Lions. Been a long, long time ago, maybe 1968 or 69, when I spent the summer with my grandmother who lived in Simi Valley at the time. Her neighbor was a big drag racing fan; we hit it off and he took me to Lions a couple of times, OCIR and one or two other legendary SoCal tracks. I loved the AA/GS cars with their whap-whap-whap blower surge and their old-school look...still do.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back