something(s) has to be done! And Fast! (1 Viewer)

Hey Sean...just for sumpn fun...do a google search on traction control. It will blow you away what is available. I would bet alot of money that it has been and is still being used...try finding it!!!

I'm sure you're right, Bross! I can only imagine what's available out there. I also have no doubts that it has been used before, so I'm not taking your bet.

I'm saying it's time to make it legal. I think one of the reasons NASCAR not only survived the move of slowing their cars down, but thrived on it is because of how much tighter the racing ended up getting. I think this would have the same effect on our sport and make the show better by a factor of.................well, a bunch. I've been around the sport for many years and as much as I love the technological genius that is behind the clutch tuners, I think the show has greatly deteriorated. Hell, I can remember that when I went to or watched the races years ago, I anticipated who was going to get to the finish line first. Now that anticipation is for who's going to blow the tires off first. I think it's a joke, personally.

Sean D

They could slow the cars down right NOW if they would just institute ONE rule! Limit everyone to a SINGLE 44 amp mag & that will negate the ABILITY to burn the fuel coming from the big pumps. Everyone would have to use smaller pumps because the lack of a second mag & only 1 spark plug per cylinder would not allow the holes to stay lit. Everything would be slowed down 3-5 TENTHS right off the bat! The speeds would come down & we could go back to 1320. Just MY take on it! Ray.

Limit everyone to a SINGLE 44 amp mag
This is the fix that some Nitro tuners have been advocating for several years.
This change could be implemented with three months notice (Aug 1st), and testing allowed on Mondays at the June & July races.
Smaller wings and better tire life would also happen... 1320 would be back too...Then 95% would sound nice...;)
If they still go too fast after the tune-ups are worked out , then just reduce blower overdrive in steps... Keep them just over 300mph in good air...
Both changes are easy to tech with no major change in engine parts...

I don't know enough to actually have any good ideas and I am not going to give any ideas for slowing them down but I have a thought about making them easier to stop. Take weight away. Anyone who knows anything about common sense knows that the heavier something is the harder it is to stop. Also wouldnt more weight be harder to move aswell so be harder on parts.

I don't know enough to actually have any good ideas and I am not going to give any ideas for slowing them down but I have a thought about making them easier to stop. Take weight away. Anyone who knows anything about common sense knows that the heavier something is the harder it is to stop. Also wouldnt more weight be harder to move aswell so be harder on parts.

William, I don't think there is much in the way of weight that can be removed from the cars. Most of the added weight in the past couple of years has been due to safety standards that brought more weight but better protection. Slowing them down as mentioned is the best way to go, and I too have no experience in nitro tuning but those that do have already made it known what would do it. Getting rid of the ridiculous dump trucks on the back would be nice to see too.

I agree Randy and I have been saying the same thing here for a long time. We have gone to an exclusive club of teams and are losing members every year because of the outragous costs.

It's musical driver seats with a couple more pulled out every year. What would be so bad with the cars running in the 5's on the quartermile, hearing them pop like popcorn, flames dancing out of the headers at the starting line and the costs reduced by half and even seeing them back at our local track?

This is the fix that some Nitro tuners have been advocating for several years.
This change could be implemented with three months notice (Aug 1st), and testing allowed on Mondays at the June & July races.
Smaller wings and better tire life would also happen... 1320 would be back too...Then 95% would sound nice...;)
If they still go too fast after the tune-ups are worked out , then just reduce blower overdrive in steps... Keep them just over 300mph in good air...
Both changes are easy to tech with no major change in engine parts...

This makes too much sense.
What would be the over/under on NHRA or any other sanction going to something like that?

A lighter car will make them go faster. I believe that the original premise of the nitro classes was to be an open class to the fastest cars out there, providing that they use an internal combustion engine. And like a lot things recently, the new technology has advanced rapidly in recent history. So much so that not enough racers can keep up or even stay competitive. The problem with drag racing at the professional level is a microcosm (sp) of what is happing with our nation and for the rest of th world for that matter. The spending is getting out-of-hand.

With that being said, I feel that it is time to put limits on these cars. In regards to funny cars, an Australian freind of mine said that they look like up-side-down boats. 1 mag, 8 plugs, make them look like what you find at the local dealer (pro stock too) and smaller blowers and fuel pumps.

BTW, I didn't watch the Charlotte race because I know what I don't like, watch a little of Houston, and won't watch Vegas as we will be racing ANRA at Bakersfield next weekend.

I agree with the original post 100%. The magic number for most casual fans seems to be 300mph. That will keep the interest in the sport, bring down the costs and also a return to 1/4 mile racing. I know that NHRA has put alot of effort into testing a new spec. motor last year, but there seems to be no more news on that lately.
They tested it in gainesville this year also.

A lighter car will make them go faster. I believe that the original premise of the nitro classes was to be an open class to the fastest cars out there, providing that they use an internal combustion engine. And like a lot things recently, the new technology has advanced rapidly in recent history. So much so that not enough racers can keep up or even stay competitive. The problem with drag racing at the professional level is a microcosm (sp) of what is happing with our nation and for the rest of th world for that matter. The spending is getting out-of-hand.

With that being said, I feel that it is time to put limits on these cars. In regards to funny cars, an Australian freind of mine said that they look like up-side-down boats. 1 mag, 8 plugs, make them look like what you find at the local dealer (pro stock too) and smaller blowers and fuel pumps.

BTW, I didn't watch the Charlotte race because I know what I don't like, watch a little of Houston, and won't watch Vegas as we will be racing ANRA at Bakersfield next weekend.
You just described a nostalgia fc with an updated body.

Drag racing by its very nature is self-destructive, the quicker we go - the more it costs, the more it costs - the fewer teams we have, the fewer teams we have - the less credibility we have.................and so on. Is the ultimate ET 1.02 @ 425MPH in 660"?? Come on! We must address this now. I hate to say this, but we have passed the IRL as an elitist type of motorsport at the PRO level. Only a few teams, very boring races with an attitude of a sanctioning body that is leading us down a very slippery slope. There is work to be done.

I don't care what kind of rules the NHRA can come up with, the tuners will find more Horsepower! Remember how clean 90% Nitro was for about 6-8 races till the Tuner's learned the Combo? These guys are always going to find ways to go faster!

Yeah, so lets not do anything and watch the sport implode! There's a friggin plan!

Sometimes the answer is right before our eyes.
If we set the cars up with a nostalgia power plant then all we would have to do is change the bodies to run nhra or nostalgia fc. It would be like the match race days when we would get booked in with a fc show at one track and then booked in with a fuel altered show at the next track and the only thing we had to change were the bodies. But i don't think that will work today.

Last edited:
Besides, how often are we seeing Force's cars Blow up?

Well, there was last Friday night at Baytown...when Robert Hight went "BOOM". Nobody seems to be immune. It's been a hazard of the sport forever. Maybe with a bit less fuel volume the "boom"s won't be quite as devastating?

Yeah, so lets not do anything and watch the sport implode! There's a friggin plan!

IMO, NHRA is already imploding. From what I see, everything they implement drives more folks away.
The convoluted qualifying, the 1000 feet, the countdown, and now the 4 wide have all caused me to care less and less about NHRA.
I still love the SPORT, but I get my enjoyment from the nostalgia races these days, both as a fan and as a participant.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back