Soft Walls on Drag Strips? (1 Viewer)

If people want to talk safety its theyre right to. nobody is speculating anything. I've seen enough wrecks to know a soft wall would help, It wont do anything for the grazing the wall hit, but the hits straight on, which there have been plenty of would be significantly better than hitting bare concrete or the dreaded aarmco steel rails. Everybody is praying for Eric!!! you dont have the right to tell people what they can talk about!!!!! give it a rest!!!!

bitchin and complaining about what if and what should is doing nothing for eric or anyone. if you don't like it or don't feel safe, then take up golf! if you are some type of structural engineer and can prove exactlly what went wrong and how many pounds per inch could have been dispersed according to the angle that eric hit the wall at over 300 mph, kelly then talk away .things happen in this world that are completely out of our control and there isn't anything you do in this world that is 100% safe. i still feel nhra drag racing is the safest form of motorsports in the world .

Last edited:
I did not intend my suggestions concerning coatings to be inciteful in any way whatsoever. I did not mean to imply that anything could be realistically be done to make going 300mph "safe" in any stretch of the word.

What I did want to say is that in a sport measured in lightspeed conventional thinking sometimes needs to be adjusted going forward. I spent ten years working with heavy construction projects involving trafic control and safety for equipment, workers, and the public. Barriers, retaining wall technology, concrete and asphalt surfaces all play a significant role in accident frequency and severity.

Obviously there is no perfect solution of we would have implemented it by now.

My only goal was to suggest that perhaps people more knowledgeable than I might want to consider what effects a smoother surface might have on vehicles travelling at that speed. Sure a rougher surface will scuff off more speed, but a smoother surface may allow the vehicle to be more controllable. I have no answer, just a general suggestion that I hope someone will investigate that has the training to do so.

As a former ski instructor (and ski racer and freestyler) I have a lot of experience with slipping and sliding and how it affects control issues in general. At the speeds of fuel cars there are far more variables to take into account.

I am not suggesting "soft" walls as that technology has already been looked at and implemented in different automotive variants, but I am unaware of whether or not coatings or surface treatments have been investigated as a safety measure. Safety is often measured in miliseconds or ounces and anything that could be done to make our sport safer would be welcome.

That is all. :)

Even though I believe any dialogue about improvements to NHRA facilities is an exercise in futility since the powers that be won't recognize our opinion(s), I am of the school that says a system installed from 1/2 track on through past the 1320' mark would be beneficial since this really the "danger" zone as far as speeds and energy go.

It is always going to come down to a cost/benefit ratio for NHRA, to implement any system to ALL NHRA tracks would be very costly and time consuming. Not to mention, the Safety Safari does an awesome job and since Eric's accident is the exception and not the rule, I firmly believe that unless all of the teams and drivers stand up and demand changes to systems already in place, status quo will be maintained.

There are energy/mass reducing wall systems out there that are not necessarily the typical "soft" wall technology seen in NASCAR. Hollow tube filled concrete barriers that can be pulled and replaced rather quickly do exist....just google the term. Again, is NHRA gonna spend the money and if so, where are ticket prices going to???

John Spencer

To my knowledge, none of the Force team members use a HANS device. They use a competeing device that is not held in place by the shoulder harnesses but instead use a strapping system around the body of the driver.

Yes they do wear a competeing device, the device comes up behind the helmet and extends down to the lumbar section of the spine, the device is held in place like the HANS, attached to the helmet, and also with shoulder straps, like a back pack. It is designed to hold goos c-spine and l-spine position when the driver is in the sitting position in the vehicle.

The subject here was "soft walls" wasn't it? I think there enough posts for Eric that we can seperate that from this issue.

I think the idea needs to be done. It can be as simple as some dense foam covered by overlapping plywood, metal or plastic and easily retrofitted to existing walls. It doesn't matter if the cars are faster than Nascar, anything aimed at reducing the impact will save drivers. Scoreboards and their posts are another area that should be padded at least and maybe redesigned.

Yes they do wear a competeing device, the device comes up behind the helmet and extends down to the lumbar section of the spine, the device is held in place like the HANS, attached to the helmet, and also with shoulder straps, like a back pack. It is designed to hold goos c-spine and l-spine position when the driver is in the sitting position in the vehicle.

Your Totally Right on this one Tony,

It has been suggested to me that I should relax, so I am deleting this post. I know that everyone means well and that all we want is Eric to get well.

Alan

Last edited:
Mark,
i second that - you did not offend anyone.
for every good idea that's implemented, safety or otherwise,
there might be 99 bad ones; have to talk/think about all of them though.
please, keep posting.

It has been suggested to me that I should relax, so I am deleting this post. I know that everyone means well and that all we want is Eric to get well.

Alan

Alan your opinion is always welcome and there is nothing wrong with being passionate about people you care about so please by all means go right ahead!
As I stated earlier in this thread it is a tough time for all who are involved and I wish the best for Eric and Family and the entire John Force team. :(

Alan, I did catch the post and I agree with what you said 100%!!!
Please take care!
Wayne

You sure it's L? I would imagine it is T thoracic which is more prone to back injuries involving racing. L lumbar is down near your bottom end and controls that area along with your legs and hips area. T is thoracic which is around the shoulder area down to your waist level of the spinal column.

On a side note, I would have liked to have read Alan's post that was deleted, like my Mom always tells me, there is nothing wrong with sharing your feelings, even if someone doesn't want to hear it.

I'm not sure if it is archived somewhere in here, but there was comparison's done with the...
HANS-
R-3
Hutchens

The R-3 out performed the others by a big enough number, that I would not even consider using anything else...
Just remember EVERYONE!!
Something is better then nothing...

BTW- The spine support of the R-3 is the real key to it being a better choice... O.K. Let the beatings begin... :) wooden spoons only... :D
OUCH!! son of a BEEP!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back