short block assembly pics (1 Viewer)

Mike ,thanks for the pics.

Have you guys tried the extra oil galley to feed the rear main in that Brad block ? I have one and am considering drilling the rear main and running a oil line to the back of the block .

Just curious about your thoughts on this , Thanks

Mike ,thanks for the pics.

Have you guys tried the extra oil galley to feed the rear main in that Brad block ? I have one and am considering drilling the rear main and running a oil line to the back of the block .

Just curious about your thoughts on this , Thanks

Honestly Mark I've never heard of supplementing the rear main oil feed.
Are you having issues with rear mains?

We don't usually have any issues with ours unless we wing the motor.
I check it after every pass and always put a new bearing in there.

I know Wilkerson runs some kind of carbon buttons on the back of the flywheel to keep the clutch weight from beating up the rear main. I was shocked to see they didn't even check the rear main between rounds, they said it never fails. That makes sense to me keeping the clutch square to the crank. When the crank in the pics failed, the clutch actually beat up the inside of the can so it was moving around in there pretty good.

When the crank in the pics failed, the clutch actually beat up the inside of the can so it was moving around in there pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me???? No wonder it took out the rear main. I guess I am out of touch.

When the crank in the pics failed, the clutch actually beat up the inside of the can so it was moving around in there pretty good.

Are you kidding me???? No wonder it took out the rear main. I guess I am out of touch.[/QUOTE]

No kidding...I'm surprised the crank didn't break in half on that one.
We've had that happen in the past and it was ugly, very ugly.
That's a lot of rotating mass relying on the rear main for support.
Not sure what a clutch pack weighs but it's super heavy.

The geek in me wants to know which crank manufacturer do you guys use... I'm guessing Winberg or Bryant.

Mike we had some issues with the rear main, where it smoked the tire at the hit, we updated the flywheel and added oil to the back main.

I can see what your stating as the journal isn't black at all, unless it was cleaned or sanded first to see the deeper damage.

You guys must have 100 lbs of swinging weight whereas we have 73 lbs with a 3 disc , 6 lever deal.

How often do you change the buttons out ? Also who makes the setup you use for the cam timing, piston stop ?

Last edited:
Mike we had some issues with the rear main, where it smoked the tire at the hit, we updated the flywheel and added oil to the back main.

I can see what your stating as the journal isn't black at all, unless it was cleaned or sanded first to see the deeper damage.

You guys must have 100 lbs of swinging weight whereas we have 73 lbs with a 3 disc , 6 lever deal.

How often do you change the buttons out ?

That's how we broke this crank, by smoking the tires hard, right at the hit.
The journal was blackened badly, I did sand it off to get a better look.

So if you have 73lbs, we must have at least 100 with the 5 disc.

We don't have the button flywheel, that was Tim Wilkerson I was referring to.

That's a good question, I can't remember seeing a brand name on that cam timing deal. If I had to guess I'd say it was an RCD.

What car are you running?

Last edited:
Dale Pulde's War Eagle N/FC

I'm thinking you guys are one of the very few that doesn't have a flywheel with carbide buttons ?

Dale Pulde's War Eagle N/FC

I'm thinking you guys are one of the very few that doesn't have a flywheel with carbide buttons ?

The War Eagle, nice!

You could be right, not sure how many teams run the button flywheel but most probably do. I wasn't even aware of it until last season when we watched the crew service Wilkersons car. Me being the bottom end guy, I of course was watching Wilkes bottom end guy and noticed he didn't look at the rear main. I asked why and that's when he told me about the buttons.
I did mention it to Bode and our crew chief but they didn't seem very interested in it. I think it's a good idea.

Always wondered where all you pro team guys get all the trick speciality tools I see? For example, the cam timing/piston stop and cam end play measurement tools in your pics? Who makes/sells this neat stuff?

You are the best Bonfire.:) There are two things that stand out in your pic#32. We need to bring Leaker in to help you organize your table like a surgeon, and WOW, Nick and I sure have that fuel tank looking shiny. "Ha-Ha":D. I just got back to the shop last night. I stayed and watched a lot of cars testing on Monday, and then I layed out by the pool at the Kalahari all day Tuesday and slept . Cutting all your rings for your racks wore me out. You can call me later and I will fill you in on some new news.:)

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back