Shirley Article in Hot Rod (1 Viewer)

Of course she has every right to say and act however she wishes.

I never think of a racer as a role model, but I sure admire and try to emulate a lot of their tireless work ethic, bravery, and sheer determination/force of will.

I think those qualities are well served to try to hold as standards for any of us.

As far as Shirley, while she had it harder than most in the beginning to succeed, later on in her career her gender became an asset.

I was just referring to what her printed opinion of Connie was.

So they had differences, but she went further to call him a "hack", and a "butcher".

Also that he had very little to do with her career:eek::cool:

My Mom, who is 85, and got hooked on watching racing almost since I did, and still does, and can name many fuel and pro Stock drivers:), once said she "thought very little of her (Shirley)", as she absolutely DUMPED a loving dedicated husband and child to "go off and do what she wanted".

Geeeeeeez, that was even glorified in the movie, like she was a victim.

Gimmie a break.

Now, of course, many men do exactly the same thing, and are never called on the mat for it. Yup, a double standard.

However she had some "things" that men do not have going for them to get what they want.

Truthfully I hold her in the same regard, a "legend" in the sport, but no better that many she pointed fingers at on the way up and is trashing now.

Boo Hoo

REX

You can count on one hand the number of atheletes who might be role models, the ones that never made any news off the field. For the most part the deeper you look into the most visable stars lives, the more dirt you will find. Kids should be taught to only admire them for their actions on the field or track. Kids role models are the ones raising them.

You can count on one hand the number of atheletes who might be role models, the ones that never made any news off the field. For the most part the deeper you look into the most visable stars lives, the more dirt you will find. Kids should be taught to only admire them for their actions on the field or track. Kids role models are the ones raising them.

Dittos.........

REX

you know i hate when this role model crap comes up, because it's just complete nonsense.

Anyone who lets their children look to pro athletes(including race car drivers) as role models are just not very smart and are setting their kids up for disappointment.

There's nothing wrong with admiring what they do on the field or on the track, but anything past that...buyer beware.

exactly!!!

A couple of points from the Shirley Hot Rod article.

I loved her Dallas Gardner remark - that she told Chris Economacki she thought Dallas was a crook. Very politically incorrect and published in Hot Rod, which was the 'official' mag of the NHRA back when Wally was editor in the early fifties. With corporate crooks currently driving the World in to Depression 2.0 it's important to scrutinize all people in a position of Corporate Power. The only diff I can see between NHRA greedheads and Lehman Bros or AIG is the magnitude of their entitlement thefts.

The debate about NHRA executive crooks is something that needs to grow outside the internet drag racing oriented message boards. Especially since Wall Street is currently wrecking the lives of so many of us.

she was home in Michigan with her son John. That's nice - I thought shirley and her son had a falling out and they spent a decade not speaking? Shirley sure seems to be an "if you're not with me you're against me" kind of person.

And what was the recent 'outrageous' deal Connie roped Shirley in to? Was that the Zantrex Team Manager gig of about two years ago?

And I guess Rahn's recent WC was not worthy of comment? Us message boarders have covered the Pedregon bros private lives here in offensive detail. How about some internet speculation on the current relationship of Rahn and Shirley? I am very happy for Rahn to get a WC 'on his own', even if it was by the 1,000 FT convoluted, contrived 'welfare points system' NHRA has imposed.

Cole Coonce's recent article on DRO pretty much sums up my feeling about NHRA Pro Nitro in 2009. A bleak fuel series for these bleak times. I'm a big fan of the leakers and the more the merrier. Get John Mitchell back out there! (I thought he got sooo screwn by NHRA a few years ago. How could they be so mean to such a historical nitro figure? I mean Mitchell was out there in a front motor car back in the 60's when only real men drove fuel cars, and many died doing it)

-90% Jimmy

Btw.... the Full Throttle TV Commercials are freeking AWESOME! Some tremendous video talent out there 'gets it' and manages to capture the excitement and drama that is nitro. Maybe some out there besides us hard core nitro people will go out to an NHRA National Meet this year and "get it" along with us afficianados?

Speaking of nitro role models, the number one drag racer of all time, Big Daddy Don Garlits, takes that role model stuff very very seriously. He has declined sponsorships from tobacco and alcohol corporations in the past because he doesn't believe in these products and wanted to fulfill his obligations as a role model to young people.

How many of us would turn down big corporate sponsorships to stand behind our principals?

-90%

(Personally, I think I'd go nitro racing even if it meant backing by a Colombian Drug Lord!)

Speaking of nitro role models, the number one drag racer of all time, Big Daddy Don Garlits, takes that role model stuff very very seriously. He has declined sponsorships from tobacco and alcohol corporations in the past because he doesn't believe in these products and wanted to fulfill his obligations as a role model to young people.

How many of us would turn down big corporate sponsorships to stand behind our principals?

-90%

(Personally, I think I'd go nitro racing even if it meant backing by a Colombian Drug Lord!)

Yeah, and if you didn't go rounds, they'd probably "go rounds" with you:eek:

REX

Read mine today, been a subscriber since 1973, (still have every one too:eek:).

Good read, except for the dump on Connie.

I dunno what went down between them in the last couple years, but since last years tragedy, that COULD have stayed between them.

Poor taste, IMO, but then again, I rarely remember seeing her at the track in a "jovial" mood.

Yeah......I know........."she says it the way she sees it".

Fine.......just not the best idea in every circumstance.

Just my .02.

REX

Shirley has been called a lot of things through the years, but one things she's never been called is...CLASSY...

I just read the Hot Rod piece and I thought it was wonderful. The pictures and the little stories were very cool. With regards to some of the opinions on this board about some of Shirley's comments, you are entitled to your opinions and she is entitled to her's. The one thing I find humorous about some of the comments on this board, is the fact that some people are forming opinions without knowing all of the details. While it is not my place to clear the air, I will tell you that if you did know the whole story, you would be shocked. As far as the Kalitta situation, you wouldn't believe what went on. A lot of people like to think Shirley isn't so nice, well if you knew what went on with Kalitta group, your opinion of them might change. This lady had to put up with a hell of a lot of garbage in her career and she got through it. You'd be amazed at some of the stunts her competitors pulled. Shirley was and is a tough lady and she had to be to survive. I did not find anything in the Hot Rod article that was out of line. She spoke her mind and I wouldn't expect anything less. I am proud to call her my friend.

Dave

I just read the Hot Rod piece and I thought it was wonderful. The pictures and the little stories were very cool. With regards to some of the opinions on this board about some of Shirley's comments, you are entitled to your opinions and she is entitled to her's. The one thing I find humorous about some of the comments on this board, is the fact that some people are forming opinions without knowing all of the details. While it is not my place to clear the air, I will tell you that if you did know the whole story, you would be shocked. As far as the Kalitta situation, you wouldn't believe what went on. A lot of people like to think Shirley isn't so nice, well if you knew what went on with Kalitta group, your opinion of them might change. This lady had to put up with a hell of a lot of garbage in her career and she got through it. You'd be amazed at some of the stunts her competitors pulled. Shirley was and is a tough lady and she had to be to survive. I did not find anything in the Hot Rod article that was out of line. She spoke her mind and I wouldn't expect anything less. I am proud to call her my friend.

Dave

Dave ask her to tell you the " Wish I was in Dixie story "

Dave

Very well put!!!!

Of course she has every right to say and act however she wishes.

I never think of a racer as a role model, but I sure admire and try to emulate a lot of their tireless work ethic, bravery, and sheer determination/force of will.

I think those qualities are well served to try to hold as standards for any of us.

As far as Shirley, while she had it harder than most in the beginning to succeed, later on in her career her gender became an asset.

I was just referring to what her printed opinion of Connie was.

So they had differences, but she went further to call him a "hack", and a "butcher".

Also that he had very little to do with her career:eek::cool:

My Mom, who is 85, and got hooked on watching racing almost since I did, and still does, and can name many fuel and pro Stock drivers:), once said she "thought very little of her (Shirley)", as she absolutely DUMPED a loving dedicated husband and child to "go off and do what she wanted".

Geeeeeeez, that was even glorified in the movie, like she was a victim.

Gimmie a break.

Now, of course, many men do exactly the same thing, and are never called on the mat for it. Yup, a double standard.

However she had some "things" that men do not have going for them to get what they want.

Truthfully I hold her in the same regard, a "legend" in the sport, but no better that many she pointed fingers at on the way up and is trashing now.

Boo Hoo

REX
I believe she said he was not the one to get her career started, Jack was the one that got her started. He just didn't want to go nitro racing and she did and that was where Connie came into the picture. That's how I understood it.

Shirley, more than any of us, paid full price for her admission to the "tell it like it is club." We would all be wise to listen to a racer who ruled the top fuel earth before the advent of trackside preachers, faceless corporate "chimpanzees," and sanctioning body officials who don't seem to like being around racers.

Like Janet Guthrie, she really gave her all to compete against the boys. She plowed the earth so many other women now successfully garden. I hope the racing women of today send her a Christmas card every year.

Here is a chilling thought...what if Shirley wrote a book that really examined the life and lifestyle of her contemporaries. I was lucky enough to befriend one of the late greats. Good thing, for many of the superstars of today, most of his stories went with him to meet his maker.

Mark

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back