Shirley and John (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Over on Facebook John Muldowney was involved in an interesting conversation about the "Ford" hemi engine that JF uses. Lets not get into that here about that engine, but one of his comments was I could beat DS and JF cars out of a Chapperal trailer or something to that affect. Really?

Then I read in Hemmings Muscle Cars mag a article under Shirleys name "downgrading" others championships on account of number of races and how tough it was on her . Yes it was tough no doubt, THERE were fewer races, she DID dominate at the time, but does she have to publicly downgrade others for their accompishments?

Now on the Classic Funny Car board I read about how Shirley Muldowney is no longer associated with John Muldowney in any way, financially or otherwise... (I heard the same line in her movie about Connie). Get original!

We all have heard about if she only could get a sponsor she would do this and that. But that never materialized. I wonder why.

Maybe because there is too much drama and too much ego involved around Shirley all the time no matter what.

Yes she was a talented driver and did win 3 championships, but that was 2 decades ago. Time and talent has passed both you buy. Deal with it.

I saw that crap too, for her to say something like that about her son is so typical of her. Never could stand her in the old days can't stand her now. She just needs to go away! She was an average driver and if it wasn't for Connie Kalitta she would have just been an also ran.

Last edited:
I saw Shirley go Iron Maiden on a fan who wanted a pic of her in Vegas about 10 years ago, changed my opinion of her!

Shirley is no different today that she was in 1969. She's always been a witch on wheels. She did whatever it took (with no limits) to get what she wanted. Didn't make any difference who or what she crapped on. No doubt it was tough being a woman in that day but she didn't draw a line and not cross it. She was a woman but I never heard anyone call her a lady.

Why do "men" feel the need to call a woman a bitch when they don't agree with what she does or says? I'm not defending Shirley in any way (because she can defend herself rather well) but I know of more than one man in drag racing with a similar demeanor! Damn!

I agree....

I am not the biggest Shirley fan in the World, but common sense should tell us there is probably a very good reason she posted that and that it probably wasn't very easy for her.

Shirley can't seem to control her mouth. She has no class and is proud of it. She needs some duct tape for her mouth for sure. The new ladies of drag racing do not act like her or they would have no sponsors. It's a different ball game these days. She needs to get over herself.

Rick

I remember as a young teenager being excited to see her run at SIR one year at the Northwest open. Her pit was real crowded with people (mostly female) who wanted to see her or speak to her. She never got out of the Duallie to greet anyone and just scowled at everyone while chain smoking cigs. Nothing changed as her career move in to the 80's and beyond. She hasn't had a career in a long time. What a piece of work. Always has been.

Walk a mile in her shoes folks...

Good grief, George, are you serious? I will go on record saying that I agree wholeheartedly with many things you say/discuss on this board, but how long do we need to hear her grind this axe??? You hear/read the terms, "LOL, LMAO, etc.", and I'll tell ya, every time she begins her ramblings, I literally "laugh my a$$ off"! I almost feel embarrassed for her when she does it.

Bottom line.............she makes, and has made no bones about the fact that she continues to have a desire to be involved with the sport. Has been since she left in the first place. But it hasn't materialized, and there's a reason for that. Did she have it tough? Of course! Most trailblazers do! But guess what? That dog don't hunt no more, and hasn't for years.............YEARS!!!! People are just tired of hearing it. And say what you want, MANY of the folks that interview her are tired of hearing it. Yeah, they play it up in front of the camera, but you can see it in many of their eyes while she's rambling on about how great she was. Sit 'em all down some evening over a few beers and they would tell ya.

I'm no different than most out there. I'm a huge fan and appreciate what she accomplished in light of the obstacles that were in front of her at the time, IN SPITE of the fact of how she treated a group of us at Indy years ago. But the platform she continues to use during interviews/conversations had a shelf life that expired a long time ago. If she were able to have figured that out, she would've likely been successful in an attempt at a return. Unfortunately, it's too late.

Sean D

Why do "men" feel the need to call a woman a bitch when they don't agree with what she does or says? I'm not defending Shirley in any way (because she can defend herself rather well) but I know of more than one man in drag racing with a similar demeanor! Damn!
I guess you have never had to deal with, watch her cuss out 10 year old girls, or throw a table into her fans. Some things you say I don't agree with and I don't call you that. She has earned the title on how she has treated fans alone.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back