Shirley Article in Hot Rod (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
I have posted many times that Hot Rod has become a very enjoyable print mag over the past few years, and the newest issue is a good one. There is an article entitled "In their own words" and this month it features Shirley Muldowney. It's a very interesting read, and her comments are, as expected, very candid, particularly about Connie Kalitta. Kind of ironic, I just read through the article and jumped online to see that Connie's car just won TF at Pomona. Way to go Connie and Doug!

I love Hot Rod Magazine. It's my favorite subscription.

It went through a crappy patch in the late 80's-90's but it had well and truly turned around.

No Hot Rod readers her? I thought you guys were gearheads! :D
I am a subscriber, haven't recieved mine yet, probably today when I get home. Glad that they keep printing Drag Racing articles. Last month had an awesome story on "The only Son of the Sufers", Adam Sorokin.

Lance, that was a great article about the Sorokins. Even though it's not purely drag racing, Hot Rod always has a great mix of pure gear-head stuff. I try to comment about it once & awhile here because I think we need to support the print mags that have survived. I believe the newest issue is the April '09.

Read mine today, been a subscriber since 1973, (still have every one too:eek:).

Good read, except for the dump on Connie.

I dunno what went down between them in the last couple years, but since last years tragedy, that COULD have stayed between them.

Poor taste, IMO, but then again, I rarely remember seeing her at the track in a "jovial" mood.

Yeah......I know........."she says it the way she sees it".

Fine.......just not the best idea in every circumstance.

Just my .02.

REX

No Hot Rod readers her? I thought you guys were gearheads! :D

Been a subscriber for years... The article about Adam Sorokin last month was softer than I thought it could be, especially with what's going on with that restoration, and the Mendy story could have had more teeth too, but Hot Rod has been great as a whole because it touches all aspects of the car culture past and present.

"A chimpanzee can drive these cars they have today.":D[/QU

Unless you know someones whole life story, from the begining. All the pain and all the struggles, you should not judge them. You base your toughts and opions on how your life was. Give her a little slack. Some people had to claw their up way to just survive. Then in the end , you end up with a broken body, a shelf full of Wallys ,4 world championships, and people like you who trash them. Sleep well ....... she does not.

"A chimpanzee can drive these cars they have today.":D

Unless you know someones whole life story, from the begining. All the pain and all the struggles, you should not judge them. You base your thoughts and opinons on how your life was. Give her a little slack. Some people had to claw their up way to just survive. Then in the end , you end up with a broken body, a shelf full of Wallys ,4 world championships, and people like you who trash them. Sleep well ....... she does not.

Shirley made the chimpanzee comment in the article... not Ted

By the way- her shot a Connie about the breather rag was off the mark... Everyone did it that way, and it actually was as good way to keep oil from spraying the headers. I'm pretty sure she knew that, so the shot at his car quality was unnecessary, IMO..

Read mine today, been a subscriber since 1973, (still have every one too:eek:).

Good read, except for the dump on Connie.

I dunno what went down between them in the last couple years, but since last years tragedy, that COULD have stayed between them.

Poor taste, IMO, but then again, I rarely remember seeing her at the track in a "jovial" mood.

Yeah......I know........."she says it the way she sees it".

Fine.......just not the best idea in every circumstance.

Just my .02.

REX
Awesome post Rex...................

...Let's call Shirley for what she was....ground breaker....you bet....nasty and mean and proud of it.....you bet too!

...go to Bobbys War storys....make up your own mind....

The LADYS in drag racing today are doing far more justice to equal competition than the bullsh7T Shirley lived by....

...Sorry....:p

Last edited:
Shirley can act like how ever she wants , as I said in another post drag racers set out to be drag racers not role models they only became role models because of what they choose to do for a living or hobby .

I'll tell you one thing....all the drivers out there are better role models than most NFL, MLB and NBA players!

"A chimpanzee can drive these cars they have today.":D[/QU

Unless you know someones whole life story, from the begining. All the pain and all the struggles, you should not judge them. You base your toughts and opions on how your life was. Give her a little slack. Some people had to claw their up way to just survive. Then in the end , you end up with a broken body, a shelf full of Wallys ,4 world championships, and people like you who trash them. Sleep well ....... she does not.

I wasn't looking to trash Shirley Muldowney, I was highlighting one of her quotes from the magazine article. I thought it was a great example of how she's never afraid to speak her mind. I hope you are wrong when you say that she does not sleep well.

Do you have a spare million to help her start a team ? That would help.
She does not lose sleep over anything posted here.

I wasn't looking to trash Shirley Muldowney, I was highlighting one of her quotes from the magazine article. I thought it was a great example of how she's never afraid to speak her mind. I hope you are wrong when you say that she does not sleep well.

Her quote to me was they would let anyone drive a funny these days, even a chimp. Back in the day it was very tough to get a fuel ride.

You know I hate when this role model crap comes up, because it's just complete nonsense.

Anyone who lets their children look to pro athletes(including race car drivers) as role models are just not very smart and are setting their kids up for disappointment.

There's nothing wrong with admiring what they do on the field or on the track, but anything past that...buyer beware.

Shirley can act like how ever she wants , as I said in another post drag racers set out to be drag racers not role models they only became role models because of what they choose to do for a living or hobby .

Of course she has every right to say and act however she wishes.

I never think of a racer as a role model, but I sure admire and try to emulate a lot of their tireless work ethic, bravery, and sheer determination/force of will.

I think those qualities are well served to try to hold as standards for any of us.

As far as Shirley, while she had it harder than most in the beginning to succeed, later on in her career her gender became an asset.

I was just referring to what her printed opinion of Connie was.

So they had differences, but she went further to call him a "hack", and a "butcher".

Also that he had very little to do with her career:eek::cool:

My Mom, who is 85, and got hooked on watching racing almost since I did, and still does, and can name many fuel and pro Stock drivers:), once said she "thought very little of her (Shirley)", as she absolutely DUMPED a loving dedicated husband and child to "go off and do what she wanted".

Geeeeeeez, that was even glorified in the movie, like she was a victim.

Gimmie a break.

Now, of course, many men do exactly the same thing, and are never called on the mat for it. Yup, a double standard.

However she had some "things" that men do not have going for them to get what they want.

Truthfully I hold her in the same regard, a "legend" in the sport, but no better that many she pointed fingers at on the way up and is trashing now.

Boo Hoo

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back