Sell out ? (1 Viewer)

I have never been turned away, but at the first Springnationals in Columbus,
(1972), a bunch of people were turned away by the State Fire Marshall an hour before the race started. People were maybe 6 deep on the fence. We were setting on the front of the walkway at the bottom of the reserved seats on the spectator side. The Marshall allowed 1 row of people to set there. You didn't dare get up to leave. ALL DAY. We could see people lined up from the ticket booth clear out to Rt. 40, and maybe 50-60 yards down the side of the road. They were all sent home.
It took 2 hours to get back to Kirkersville when we left. (About 4 miles).

Never. I used to order tickets to the U.S.Nationals but now I just get them there.

2 of the last 3 years in Gainesville the parking lots were completely full thus sending everyone to a shuttle lot a couple of miles away! As for turning fans away I've never heard of that!

Re: Sell out ? Bristol

Tickets are selling fast .They have done an outstanding job of promoting this event . What do you epect from Bruton ? The modern day PT Barnum ...;)

2 of the last 3 years in Gainesville the parking lots were completely full thus sending everyone to a shuttle lot a couple of miles away! As for turning fans away I've never heard of that!

Back in the early '90s at G'ville before they had all of timber removed on the south side for parking and before the remote parking areas, the officials closed all gates at about 9:45 in the morning because there was no more room for cars to park. The traffic line getting into the track was backed up to the cutoff for the airport. I had some friends stuck in that traffic and they got so frustrated that they went back to the house. No telling how much $$ they "lost" that day. It may have been the next year that the south side was cleared to park more cars.

Late.....................Mitch

Check out page 94 of the May, 1963 Hot Rod magazine: in summing up their 16 page article about the 1963 Winternationals, Hot Rod said, "Not a seat had been vacated by the capacity crowd until the very last race (the gates had been closed because of a full house just after noon on Sunday) and the dispersing crowd was a thrilled one indeed".

BTW, Jim Dunn won his class - AA/A in a Chevy-powered Fiat - and was runnerup in Middle Eliminator; Connie Kalitta was runnerup to John Peters in Top Eliminator (AA/D); Don Garlits won Top Fuel and had Low ET at 8.11 seconds in AA/FD, while Norm Weekly had Top Speed of the meet at 188.66 MPH in his AA/FD.

Fred Simmonds
GM Racing

I remember well the 72 event at National trail. We as employee's were finally told to let in the masses late that afternoon on friday. I bet there was a couple thousand didn't have to pay that night.:) Clark rader was the man!

Last edited:
Hello Reinhard, I have been going to races since 1987 and have been to various tracks. Some tracks will seem more crowded do to space than to people. I have never been turned away because they did not have tickets. I have been told that they did not have any "reserved seats" left but could always get a general admission ticket. The nice part is that "general admission" still includes a pitpass and that is where the action is when it is not on the track. The bad part is that there is limited general admission seating so watching from the stands could be tough.
I am glad that you got your tickets, and if you have never been to Bristol for the drag race you are in for a treat. This is a very scenic track and the layout is nice for the fan. If this is your first race then you are in for a double treat not much like Nitro and Rubber in the fresh mountain air around Bristol in May.
Good luck, enjoy.

Check out page 94 of the May, 1963 Hot Rod magazine: in summing up their 16 page article about the 1963 Winternationals, Hot Rod said, "Not a seat had been vacated by the capacity crowd until the very last race (the gates had been closed because of a full house just after noon on Sunday) and the dispersing crowd was a thrilled one indeed".

BTW, Jim Dunn won his class - AA/A in a Chevy-powered Fiat - and was runnerup in Middle Eliminator; Connie Kalitta was runnerup to John Peters in Top Eliminator (AA/D); Don Garlits won Top Fuel and had Low ET at 8.11 seconds in AA/FD, while Norm Weekly had Top Speed of the meet at 188.66 MPH in his AA/FD.

Fred Simmonds
GM Racing

That was back when they used the bleachers from the rose parade. Probably didn't seat 1/2 what the permanent bleachers seat now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back