Sell outs (1 Viewer)

There was a time, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, that Pomoma attendance was only exceeded by the Gaters. The west grandstand was full and the pit side extended further than it does now.
I remember those days. Winters and Finals at Pomona was packed both sides Sunday in 2011.

Went Saturday night and Sunday in St. Louis last year. They declared it a sell out both days and it was packed.
Is that why the cheapest ticket available is $75 plus fee this year, and thats for Friday. Love to go, but not at that price. Most expensive on the tour?

I have never been involved in ticketing for an event so I'm sure there is a lot I don't understand about how it all comes together but If you have an available seat to sell wouldn't it be better to get $20 for it instead of $0 ?

Attendance is down since it's heyday in NASCAR as well. When they started removing sections of grandstands, they called it "rightsizing" the race tracks.

I have never been involved in ticketing for an event so I'm sure there is a lot I don't understand about how it all comes together but If you have an available seat to sell wouldn't it be better to get $20 for it instead of $0 ?

You have to decide what your event is worth. Taylor Swift wasn't selling $20 seats.

If you have 1000 seats to sell, and sell them for $10 then you sell out and put $10,000 in the bank.

If you sell them for $30 and only sell 750 seats, then you didn't sell out, but you sold $22,500 worth of tickets. And you need less staff and security for the smaller crowd.

You could sell the remaning tickets for $10 and bag another $2500 bucs, but what happens when the people that paid $30 find out the guy sitting next to him paid $10? What's he going to do next year?

One of the problems with the ADRL when they were giving away free tickets was the perception that a Drag Race isn't worth paying to see. They packed the tracks no doubt, but was it worth it? I don't know how much they made charging for parking, but 3 months later when NHRA would come to town, you had to convince a casual fan, that this show was worth paying for, when they think Drag Racing is something you can watch for free.

The ticket price needs to be high enough that it conveys the value of your show. Then you need the ticket buyer to leave thinking he/she got more than they paid for. That's the balance.

Every event I have a simple Pass/Fail rating scale. If this was the first time a saw a live event, would I want to come back? Take Charlotte. Good racing, upsets, a couple of underdog stories, a winning streak extended, some rivalries renewed, points lead swapped in two classes, a Champion Crowned, compelling sportman racing (including my personal favorite a Heads Up Stock final with two guys going for their first win).

I thought that yesterday's event was a winner, and if that was my first race, I would want to see another one.

Alan

You have to decide what your event is worth. Taylor Swift wasn't selling $20 seats.

If you have 1000 seats to sell, and sell them for $10 then you sell out and put $10,000 in the bank.

If you sell them for $30 and only sell 750 seats, then you didn't sell out, but you sold $22,500 worth of tickets. And you need less staff and security for the smaller crowd.

You could sell the remaning tickets for $10 and bag another $2500 bucs, but what happens when the people that paid $30 find out the guy sitting next to him paid $10? What's he going to do next year?

One of the problems with the ADRL when they were giving away free tickets was the perception that a Drag Race isn't worth paying to see. They packed the tracks no doubt, but was it worth it? I don't know how much they made charging for parking, but 3 months later when NHRA would come to town, you had to convince a casual fan, that this show was worth paying for, when they think Drag Racing is something you can watch for free.

The ticket price needs to be high enough that it conveys the value of your show. Then you need the ticket buyer to leave thinking he/she got more than they paid for. That's the balance.

Every event I have a simple Pass/Fail rating scale. If this was the first time a saw a live event, would I want to come back? Take Charlotte. Good racing, upsets, a couple of underdog stories, a winning streak extended, some rivalries renewed, points lead swapped in two classes, a Champion Crowned, compelling sportman racing (including my personal favorite a Heads Up Stock final with two guys going for their first win).

I thought that yesterday's event was a winner, and if that was my first race, I would want to see another one.

Alan
Perfect analogy

NHRA’s ticket prices are, by far, still the best value of any sport I can think of.
What other sport plays on all your senses all at the same time?
You get to venture into the pits, stand really close to the cars and, if you want, get an autograph or two.
Then go sit in the stands to watch several hours of great racing.
For what my wife and I will spend for Friday qualifying and Sunday eliminations once a year, it is still less than we would have to spend for each Razorback football game, when we added in the price of the football tickets and the per-game average of the required annual donation to the Razorback Foundation.
We gave up those seats, that we had for over 20 years, in 2016 when our donation was to increase by a factor of five(!!!).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back