Sonoma General seating ??? WTF (1 Viewer)

megadeth

Nitro Member
How can the NHRA sell general admission tickets with no seating? :mad:
All I can tell you is there was a lot of pissed off fans at this event old and new!
On the top end of the track on the grandstand side it is always general admission and usually half of the bleachers on the tower side not this time every seat was reserve and the top end terrace area deemed the Family area was purchased by PowerAde for the racers families, NHRA guest and contest winners i.e. radio etc..
It is funny how they said it was a sold out crowed the reason the bleachers were full is because all the general admission ticket holders were, in a round about way, forced to by tickets if they wanted to watch the action.
I saw a family of 4 get to the top of the terrace seats at the top end that I previously mentioned and they were told that they were not allowed to sit in
what use to be the general admission seats and he was told by that usher that he would have to spend another $40.00, $10 ea. to get reserve seats either in the grandstand or tower side so the guy asked where is the general admission seating and the guy pointed to the terrace seats on the tower side which were so far away the guy lost it and went off on the guy not physically but verbally!
He was a first time attendee the guy tore his tickets up and said he was out of there!
What a great way to introduce a new fan to NHRA not to mention the older fan base there were a lot of them pissed and said they will not be coming back next year these are guy's I have seen attending the races since the Fremont days. :cool:

Although the track could probably have handled the matter better, if an event is so well attended that what were formerly general admission seats have become reserved seating I fail to see that as a problem for the track, the event, or drag racing.

I can understand how fans who usually purchase general admission tickets might be upset that they can no longer use the same seating they did in the past, but stuff like that happens. For instance, I have always sat in section C for the races at Pacific Raceways - which is the section closest to the starting line. What I didn't know when I purchased my tickets this year was that the new grandstands next door to section C would now block my view of the end of the track. When I first got to my seats I will admit that I was a little irritated that my view was blocked, but in the end I decided those new grandstands represent some much welcomed changes to the track and decided just to make do with my seat this year and to be sure to purchase unobstructed tickets in the new grandstand next year.

By the way, my wife had such a great time at the race at Pacific Raceways last week that she not only wants to return next year, she has also suggested that we go to the races at Sonoma. Never one to miss an opportunity, I look forward to visiting that track.

Last edited:
I attend the evert in Brainerd every year. What really stinks for me being a person in a wheelchair, is although they have a wonderfull wheelchair section
at the starting line. There is ZERO wheelchair seating in general admission. I really enjoy sitting 1/2 track and don't have that option. But I'm not going
to piss and moan over it. They do a wonderfully job for those of us that needs
the seating. I just wish we had an option to sit in the general area where you can enjoy a beer or at 1/2 track. I'm there watching that's all the really matters.

Although the track could probably have handled the matter better, if an event is so well attended that what were formerly general admission seats have become reserved seating I fail to see that as a problem for the track, the event, or drag racing.

I can understand how fans who usually purchase general admission tickets might be upset that they can no longer use the same seating they did in the past, but stuff like that happens. For instance, I have always sat in section C for the races at Pacific Raceways - which is the section closest to the starting line. What I didn't know when I purchased my tickets this year was that the new grandstands next door to section C would now block my view of the end of the track. When I first got to my seats I will admit that I was a little irritated that my view was blocked, but in the end I decided those new grandstands represent some much welcomed changes to the track and decided just to make do with my seat this year and to be sure to purchase unobstructed tickets in the new grandstand next year.

By the way, my wife had such a great time at the race at Pacific Raceways last week that she not only wants to return next year, she has also suggested that we go to the races at Sonoma. Never one to miss an opportunity, I look forward to visiting that track.

The track owner isn't the problem; it's NHRA's decisions that are pissing people off!
Track owner Bruton Smith has nothing to do with the seating arrangement.
Non Profit organization give me a break! :cool:
The best way to handle the situation would be to charge everyone $10 extra on a ticket and let the people sit were they want that way people don't feel like they are getting screwed and paying more just to watch the action.
NHRA could handle a LOT of things better. ;)

I do hear ya it sounds like you have the perfect wife. :)

So the General Admission ticket just gets you in and you HAVE to stand?

Basically yeah! Like I said a lot of people were very pissed off.
I met Paul by the Nitro Mall as soon as he get situated I'm pretty sure he will post his opinion on this thread.
Hey Kelly I will send you some shots and PM you to learn how to post pictures I'm still lame at it. LOL :eek:

Since this is a Bruton Facility, Not sure if NHRA had anything to do with this or not. But every track needs a family section IMO! No Booze and NO standing!:rolleyes:

We generally sit in the new grandstands, but this year I was given 'free' tickets from a parts rep (I run an auto shop). Well the free tickets got me into the track, and in previous years I have upgraded to the grandstand side for an extra $10. This year they had no seats left there, so we sat on the tower side. The only positive was that they are close to the track, but everyone stands, and a couple real inconsiderate a**es stood up on the seat portion. My wife couldn't see, I couldn't see, and that did it. We watched all of pro first round, walked the pits then left. My worst experience at Sonoma thus far. I will never sit on that side again. You can't see the Motel 6 screen or the scoreboards.

A couple of years ago I drove up to sonoma to watch the races and I have to say its on of the worst tracks to watch the races live. The stands are sooooo far away from the track you almost need binoculars just to see the action. Sadly I will never visit that track again for a race. :(

Alan
Sorry you had the same experience we did... You might want to read my Sit or Stand thread... I started... Maybe we should have gotten seats together, then I would'nt have had to ride in the paddy wagon all alone...
Kelly
I honestly do not know where GA tickets would have gotten anyone... They do not let you stand on the tower side of the 1320... It was really bad this year... I have never seen it like this...
Next year? I dont tink so!!:rolleyes:

Since this is a Bruton Facility, Not sure if NHRA had anything to do with this or not. But every track needs a family section IMO! No Booze and NO standing!:rolleyes:

They do...at the finish line...it's a whole family section.

AND the races were EXCELLENT this year!! (Sonoma that is)

T-Bone :D

Hi everyone,
I too sat in the tower section, right on the starting line. Row 5. Way down low, close to the racing surface. Everyone stood and blocked our view from 1/2 track on. It sucked. Don't know why this was so bad this time. Really frustrating.
I wish the track would put up "please remain seated" signage over in those sections.
The additional $10.00 for the other sections was also very madenning. Real stupid idea.
It was a hot weekend, and powerade was nowhere to be found on the property. No coca cola products at all for that matter. Only 7up and glacieau water(???). Tower side vendors were completely sold out of drinks by the semi-finals.
A big WTH??!! to the track.

The GA tickets in Sonoma use to get you seats on the tower side. I will never sit on the tower side again, period. Yeah, your close, but other than that, they suck. I was told the 'free' ticket I got got us into the track, but we had to pay the $10 for actual seats, of which only the tower side were left. The main grandstands have nice seat backs, and you can see the Motel 6 screen and the scoreboards for the most part. Sometimes you have to lean to see them, but they are visible. It's a day later and I'm still disappointed. 9 years in a row, and that was the worst experience I have had, and hopefully will never repeat. My wife knew I had to be mad if I actually wanted to leave.

Me and 2 friends have had the EXACT SAME SEATS at Englishtown, and Maple Grove for the last 12 years (since 1994) Top row right at the 60' clock...1st seat in from the isle .. makes it easy to come & go... and being on the top row you can look backwards to view the pits..& or "eye candy" :D
We get a ticket form every year asking if we want the same seats.. & get them NP.. Oh one more thing we do is, we all chip in to buy 1 extra "child" seat about $50 for all 4 days... it gives us a little extra hip room as the seats ARE close to each other...

Maybe I can invite Michele or Kelly this year to sit in our extra child seat at Reading Keystons... Yea I know its a long ride from Tx.. but look at the great company you'll have ;)

Last edited:
sounds like a raw deal. your best bet is to call the manager or email. i did the same for national trail this season. we were on the top row, and the last seat on the end had the number at the very end (not in the middle like every other seat), so everyone had to make room so the guy who had that seat could fit. the manager was real nice when i told him it wasn't our job to squish together to accomodate their incompetance at making a seating chart so they can get an extra seat on the end and make a few extra bucks.

I can remember back when you paid to get in, then had to pay more to get into the pits. Now you pay to get in, and have to pay more to get a seat.

I guess this is progress.

Jay

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back